amp sizing help

• Members

Ok, not getting much help here on any of my questions. (thanks to the few that have taken the time) Did I piss someone off in here, or do you have me confused with someone else? Well I'll try a short one.

subs = audiotechnics 500W rms 8ohm (2 each)

main = peavey sp2g 350w rms 8ohm (2 each)

Right now I've got a crest cpx 2600 amp. Would I be better off

a) use the 2600 on the sub's and buy a cpx 1500 for mains.

b) feed mains on one channel, subs on the other,

c) leave the 2600 for the mains and get a differant brand of amp for subs

right now were using option b but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Does it hurt to run it this way? Can the amp handle differant wattage demands?

Thanks,

Rick

• Members
Originally posted by Rickr

Ok, not getting much help here on any of my questions. (thanks to the few that have taken the time) Did I piss someone off in here, or do you have me confused with someone else? Well I'll try a short one.

subs = audiotechnics 500W rms 8ohm (2 each)

main = peavey sp2g 350w rms 8ohm (2 each)

Right now I've got a crest cpx 2600 amp. Would I be better off

a) use the 2600 on the sub's and buy a cpx 1500 for mains.

b) feed mains on one channel, subs on the other,

c) leave the 2600 for the mains and get a differant brand of amp for subs

right now were using option b but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Does it hurt to run it this way? Can the amp handle differant wattage demands?

Thanks,

Rick

Two reasons that I didn't answer you and both had to do with info that you didn't give. I have no clue what those subs are. A link or something would have helped,or at least an idea on what they really are. Cab type,driver size and brand,etc. The other is that I don't know the power rating of the Crest amp. Not familiar with their newer stuff. A guess would tell me that it is about 1300 watts RMS/channel @2 ohms? Maybe 900 or so/channel @4 ohms? If so,that should be enough for both equations unless the subs have some very healthy drivers in them. Otherwise,450-500 watts is enough for them. As for balancing subs to mid/high cabs,do that preferably at the crossover. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to switch channels around once in a while on the amp so that the same channel doesn't get pushed harder all of the time. It might add extended life to the amp down the road.

• Members

There's a link to the specs on the amps. http://www.crestaudio.com/products/cpxseries/

Didn't mean to imply that I deserved or was entitled to an answer, was just alittle concerned you guys had me mixed up with another Rick on here, who's probably more annoying than me. Sorry about the amp specs. My understanding is there basically Peavey amps, so I assumed (and we know what that does). The subs I can't find any info on either, so I'm assuming again. I'm more concerned with my amp than these subs. As long as I don't clip the amp, I shouldn't hurt it if these things were 10,000 watt rms or some such nonsense, is that correct? And my concern of running mains from 1 channel and subs from the other you did answer, so thank you.

Have a great day.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Rickr

Archived