Are Samson R21 Mics any good?

• Members

These people (American Musical Supply Site Reviews) had a much different experience:

"Do you run sound? - buy these!"

alex From weslaco, tx

Submitted 4/28/2004 1:42:48 AM

Quality

Features

Ease Of Use

Value

Sound

Overall

OVERALL:

If you run sound. This is the mic you can afford to scarfice and still have excellent voice, instrument reproduction. I have not found a better sounding mic for the value. All Samson mics have good sound, like the headphones they make too.

QUALITY:

These mics are well made. I have used them night after night with no problems. Except for once when a hardcore band I was running sound for, threw the mic on the floor super hard. No problem. I dont mind at this price. Easily replaced. Not as heavy duty as the Shure mics, but well worth the investment.

FEATURES:

On and off switch. Standard like any other mic.

EASE OF USE:

No hard thing to set up.

VALUE:

Excellent value. YOu will not find a better preforming mic for the price. Will blow away other mics that sell for a higher price.

SOUND:

THe standard comparison is the Shure 57 and 58. Let me tell, you that it has a hella lot more of an output than these two mics mention. Blows them away in clarity, crisp, and sweet sounding.

STYLE:

Heavy Metal

MUSIC EXPERIENCE:

20 yrs musician. 10 years in sound

How They Use It: On weekend gigs

Experience With It: Had it more than 6 months

"Can't beat the price"

mike From long island NY

Submitted 9/22/2003 12:09:54 PM

Quality

Features

Ease Of Use

Value

Sound

Overall

I bought these mics to use for rehersal, I have SM58s and PG58s for our live shows. Within a week I replaced all the PG58's with R21s. They sound exactly the same as the SM58s, they just dont seem as durable....but remember that you get 3 R21s for half the price of 1 SM58. and how often do you drop, kick, trample or hammer a nail in with your mic???? is durability worth 6x the price?

How They Use It: On weekend gigs

Experience With It: Had it 1-6 months

"Great Mic!"

Groovielou From Chino Hills CA

Submitted 6/14/2003 7:18:50 PM

Quality

Features

Ease Of Use

Value

Sound

Overall

Have had these mic's for about 2 weeks now. After two all night Karaoke gigs, they are holing up just fine!

How They Use It: I depend on it for my job

Experience With It: I got it 1-4 weeks ago

"Absolutely awesome deal, bright sound"

Julian Vazquez From Miami, FL

Submitted 12/3/2002 11:56:39 AM

Quality

Features

Ease Of Use

Value

Sound

Overall

I was singing background(1 of 3) for a recording with an R&B Group. One of the background singers brought in Shure SM58's which we initially started using. We ended up not sounding so nice on the 58's and tried this group of mics. Not only did we not have to use our levels so high, but we had much more clarity and intonation smoked the 58's. I swear by the Beta 58 since it's what I use for live solo work, but this group of 3 mics is pretty for the price. I'm glad I bought it. Try the Audix OM5 as well!

How They Use It: I depend on it for my job

Experience With It: Had it 1-6 months

• Members

Is McDonalds any good? Depends how hungry you are.

Compared to something that you paid $200 for you can expect probably less gain before feedback, less hum and RF rejection, more mechanical noise when you hold it and less reliability. How much do you need? You'll never complain if you bought too good. Mics and speakers are the weakest link in systems (next to happy face curves on EQs!)

That being said ... a Big Mac tastes good every once in awhile

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

I'm glad someone finally straightend me out on the fact that a live performance vocal mics should have an on/off switch

I'll bet your cheesy SM58 don't have 1/4" or 1/8" plugs either ... shame on you.

But I don't get what's wrong with Boone's Farm??

• Members

Hey I've got a couple mics laying around with switches on them too. I should start using them again.

Gee, I don't think the reviews on a big box chain store web site would be biased would you? I wonder if the Nady SP-1 is on there? Actually I saw an HC review for the SP-1 and it was... enlightning so to speak. Not for the product, for the users.

I like cheezy mics like those, my nady (7.99 on clearance @ musicians fiend) has been covered in little rubber feet, painted with nail polish and makes a cool talk back mic. The other one that came with it (don't ask) died upon arrival. I just can't send back a 8 dollar mic for what postage would be.

50 bucks for 3. What a bargain. I s'pose you could cut out a picture of a mic in a magazine for cheaper. No feedback problems there.

• Members

Originally posted by proax

Why would the dealer bias the reviews? If the mics got bad reviews then they would just drop the line.

I find the reviews a lot more credible than phile's.

Do a search for every online retailer and look at any review. Take notice of how many negative reviews there are.

Why would they say buy this sucky product? You can't make money that way. And that is all this is about.

• CMS Author

Why would the dealer bias the reviews? If the mics got bad reviews then they would just drop the line.

I find the reviews a lot more credible than phile's.

Really? Did you happen to notice not one reviewer has had the mic more than 6 months?

There is no such thing as a 'review' in a product catalog. It's all advertising. Do you really suppose AMS or Musician's Friend would post a review that said, "well, it's a mediocre product, but at least it didn't set my house on fire"? In their catalog.

Honestly, I can't even believe I'd have to explain any of this. Did you get that check from those nice gentlemen in Uganda yet?

• Members

I've bought the 3-pack and have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the R21. While I like the picture of the dozen or so "dead" Q-mics, bear in mind that these are not the same mic as the R21. I'm not disputing that his mics may, in fact, be crap, only that I haven't had such bad luck with mine.

Are the R21s in the same league as the SM58? No, but for most live sound applications they are perfectly adequate. We use them for our backup singers and horns and they perform as well as many of the more expensive mics we've used in the past. Would I use them for recording? Probably not for vocals, but for amps or drums they might be fine. They are reasonably durable and come in a nice case; not bad for $50. If you aren't super rough with your equipment on the road, you shouldn't have any problems with these mics.

These mics aren't going to run Shure out of business, but for the money, they aren't a bad deal. I've had mine for a few years and haven't had any of them crap out on me. Maybe the mic gods are on my side or something; I don't know. I just know that we've used the heck out of ours with no problems and they have performed to our expectations every time. I'm even thinking of getting three more, just to have as spares.

You usually get what you pay for, but sometimes you get more for your money. Unless you are super-finicky about your equipment, these should do fine.

• Members

Originally posted by Nighthawkdude

I've bought the 3-pack and have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the R21. While I like the picture of the dozen or so "dead" Q-mics, bear in mind that these are not the same mic as the R21. I'm not disputing that his mics may, in fact, be crap, only that I haven't had such bad luck with mine.

Are the R21s in the same league as the SM58? No, but for most live sound applications they are perfectly adequate. We use them for our backup singers and horns and they perform as well as many of the more expensive mics we've used in the past. Would I use them for recording? Probably not for vocals, but for amps or drums they might be fine. They are reasonably durable and come in a nice case; not bad for $50. If you aren't super rough with your equipment on the road, you shouldn't have any problems with these mics.

These mics aren't going to run Shure out of business, but for the money, they aren't a bad deal. I've had mine for a few years and haven't had any of them crap out on me. Maybe the mic gods are on my side or something; I don't know. I just know that we've used the heck out of ours with no problems and they have performed to our expectations every time. I'm even thinking of getting three more, just to have as spares.

You usually get what you pay for, but sometimes you get more for your money. Unless you are super-finicky about your equipment, these should do fine.

Thank you for your knowledgeable and informative post about the mic that I actually asked about.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Really? Did you happen to notice not one reviewer has had the mic more than 6 months?

There is no such thing as a 'review' in a product catalog. It's all advertising. Do you really suppose AMS or Musician's Friend would post a review that said, "well, it's a mediocre product, but at least it didn't set my house on fire"? In their catalog.

Honestly, I can't even believe I'd have to explain any of this. Did you get that check from those nice gentlemen in Uganda yet?

Ok, if you look at a lot of the user reviews on AMS, you'll see that they do indeed post the bad reviews along with the good ones... Take these ones for instance:

http://www.americanmusical.com/itemreviews--i-BEH-ACX1000.html

http://www.americanmusical.com/itemreviews--i-NAD-MC12.html

http://www.americanmusical.com/itemreviews--i-NAD-PEM500.html

I suspect that the number of positive reviews has more to do with the reviewers than the websites. When you get a new piece of gear, its the greatest new thing on the planet because you want it to be... until the newness wears off (unless its DOA or breaks soon after you get it) so if they post a review right ater they get it, chances are they are going to be more positive than negative.

• CMS Author

Thank you for your knowledgeable and informative post about the mic that I actually asked about.

Perhaps you misunderstand. You asked for opinions on a 3/$50 mic in a forum that has a lot of professionals. They don't need to have seen this specific mic to know that you won't get much for $16.66. We've all cut corners and wasted money on false economies, and rather than let you do the same, we're trying to help you not make the same mistakes, or at least understand what you're looking at.

• Members

Originally posted by Nighthawkdude

This guy has had the R21's for years so the euphoria of newness is NOT the reason that he is satisfied. Maybe durability, quality and value are the reasons?

• Members

My comments were on user reviews in general, not on the R21's...

In regards to the R21's specifically, I have no opinions. In regards to Samson gear in general, however, I have purchased several pieces of their gear in the past ( a quad compressor, a Q mic, a wireless mic and a CO1 mic) and so far there has only been one that has been any good. The CO1 I use on a weekly basis as an ambient mic for my in-ear system. It works great for that.

• CMS Author

This guy has had the R21's for years so the euphoria of newness is NOT the reason that he is satisfied. Maybe durability, quality and value are the reasons?

You see, now you're starting to fit the mold more accurately.....ask for an opinion without stating yours, and then defend the product and/or discredit anyone with a negative opinion of it.

You've obviously convinced yourself this a quality product, so don't waste any more of your time; go enjoy your new purchase.

• Members

I have read all the reviews and the most credible ones by far were by people who say the R21's are good mics.

Most of the negatives came from people who didn't even own the R21's.

I don't expect them to be as good as my 58's. I didn't expect my MXL 2003 & 2001 mics to be nearly as good as my U87 but I was pleasantly surprised.

The fact is that a lot of good product is coming out of Asian these days.

• Members

I don't think I ever use anything cheaper than SM57's, so I won't really be of any help here.

But Beta 57's rock.

I hear the Behringer version of a 58 is OK, and they're the same price as those Samsons. I know, it's the "B" word. I've just heard that they're OK from many people who really know what they're talking about and have used them. I don't plan of buying any mics like that anyway, so why am I even typing right now? Can anyone say delirious?

In my limited experience with them, Samson has excellent customer support, even though my single experience with them involved a modification rather than a repair.

Oh, and Mark, last week steel here was $.87 a pound, and that wasn't the lowest I could get. I wasn't actually looking for steel at that time, I just happened to see it. So that lowers the cost of these mics quite a bit from your original estimate ;).

Archived