Solo artist PA advice please

• Members

Hi everyone, I am a solo artist playing pubs and small clubs (in Hampshire, England). I sing classic songs (mainly from the 70's) accompanying myself on my Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar.

I shan't bother to say what my current PA rig is -- suffice to say it isn't cutting it for me. I want a seriously good quality and reasonably portable rig.

I don't play with backing tapes, so all I have is my voice and my guitar (and a prayer). So I need to make what I've got count. For me that means quality. The voice and guitar need to be crystal clear, warm, big, and natural sounding.

I do like the idea of active speakers, so I've been trying to find out about the active speakers made by Electrovoice, Mackie, JBL, Yorkville, and so on.

Price-wise, I'd be prepared to pay up to around

• Members

Warm big clear voice....

I don't know the prices out there, but here you could get 2 Yorkville NX550Ps for about $1,350. Then get a basic mixer and maybe a TC Electronics M300 (@$200) for dual effects, speaker stands for $50/each. SM58 or Beta 58 for $100 - $150. Here that's $1,750.

That could be done here for under your budget and should sound pretty good. (I own everything I mentioned.)

• Members

You could get by on just a couple of Yorkville NX550P's, with no mixer, if you didn't want effects. And it seems likely that you might not need any, but you could also use one of those floor effects thingys if you wanted to.

For the record, Yorkville's active speakers have a little mixer in the back, that you can plug a mic and a stereo line source into, with individual level controls for each. You can link up to 3 speakers together, to have a total of 3 mic and 3 stereo line sources coming out the speakers. Two speakers would cover you and your guitar, assuming you're miking your guitar. You could do it with one if you went direct.

In this price range, I don't think you can get better active speakers than Yorkville. Although FBT's Maxx active series seems to be a little better, they cost more here for a comparable model. Since you're in Europe, I would definitely compare prices on Yorkville and FBT. It would come between those two brands for me.

I've done quite a few little things using just 2 NX520P's and a couple mics, and they work great for what you want to do.

• Members

I really like the yorkville stuff as well... I have checked it carefully against other active boxesd and found the yorkville to be much "warmer" sounding. (Of course do your own checking to make sure for you). Also remember that the first step in your signal path will be your guitar ickup and the microphone you use. It is esential that these are of the best quality as well.

• Members

You could go with a pair of Yamaha Club cabs like the s15e, with a QMC RMX 1450 poweramp, a small mixer of your choice (Mackie maybe?) and that'll come in under your budget. You could throw on a TC M300 with the extra money. I'm a fan of the Yamaha cabs...not everyone is.

• Members

Many will disgree w/me and say seperate rack mounts are the only way to go, but for an acoustic act a good Powered mixer w/ effects has fit the bill for me. I recently acquired a Yorkville MP10DS; 10 channels, 160w X2 stereo which will either put 160 watts into ea speaker if you want to run just mains, or, 100 watts into 2 mains and 2 monitors. I run it in the later mode and have never run short of power and have never even had a clip light flicker and have even had the bar owner ask us to turn down a notch (and this playing outdoors on a patio). I will say that I had always thought all "box style" mixers would sound pretty much the same (ie. MI quality) For years I used a Carvin PA620 and it worked fine, sounded OK and never let me down. I will say the Yorkville is a step up in clarity and intelligability, though, and it is really handy having clip lights in every stage and a 9 band EQ, plus I think the effects are better in the Yorkville. You also might look at the new tiltback design PA in a Box from Yorkville. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on this one, I probably would have gone that route.:)

• Members

You'd be so surprised what Phonic Powerpod 1062 can do. It's a 10 channel powered mixer that gives 300W at 4 ohms. It has a built in multi effects that are very useable for live performance.

The great thing is the really attractive low price. Go do a seacrh on it.

I onewd this unit since 2002. No problem at all.

• Members

1) Mackie 808 or Carvin PA800 or Peavey xr684 or another powered mixer in this class

2) a pair of Peavey Impulse 110's (10inch+horn)

3) one yorkville LS200P powered sub.

Very lightweight and portable--plenty of juice for what your doing, and that sub will add all the bottom end you need to your sound.

• Members

Originally posted by stunningbabe

You won't need a sub for now. Hey...it is just you and your guitar right? No drum machine or keyboard...so you'll get on better without the extra weight of the sub...coz you really don't need it.

He's right, for acoustic/vox, a good 12" speaker is adequate, even over a 15". There are very few frequencys in the "Sub" range. Just get either a 3-way or a 2 way w/ a fairly low crossover point for vocals since most of the vocals are strong in the midrange area..:)

• Members

Originally posted by RainsongDR1000

He's right, for acoustic/vox, a good 12" speaker is adequate, even over a 15". There are very few frequencys in the "Sub" range. Just get either a 3-way or a 2 way w/ a fairly low crossover point for vocals since most of the vocals are strong in the midrange area..
:)

Err...I'm a she.

• Members

Originally posted by stunningbabe

Err...I'm a she.

Wait just a minute here. Are you trying to say that with a name like stunningbabe that you're a woman??? Man, that's too much for my mind to get a grasp on right now. I'm completely shocked. :rolleyes:

Actually, I've had some suspicions that you weren't a guy for a long time, but I didn't want to come right out and ask. :p

And just for the record, since people sometimes can't tell when I'm joking around, this time I'm joking around. I just want to clear that up before anything bad happens again. ;)

• Members

I'd look at the Yorkville AP812 powered mixer and two Yorkville NX350 speakers (unpowered version of the NX550). Each component of the PA system weighs less than 40 lbs and can be carried to the car in two trips by one person. The mixer allows you to run the FOH off one side of the mixer and use the other side to run two 8 ohm monitors. The mixer has a Hi Z input so you don't need a direct box as well as basic effects like reverb so you have nothing else to carry.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

Wait just a minute here. Are you trying to say that with a name like
stunningbabe
that you're a woman??? Man, that's too much for my mind to get a grasp on right now. I'm completely shocked.
:rolleyes:

Actually, I've had some suspicions that you weren't a guy for a long time, but I didn't want to come right out and ask.
:p

And just for the record, since people sometimes can't tell when I'm joking around, this time I'm joking around. I just want to clear that up before anything bad happens again.
;)

It's ok. No harm done. I chose the wrong moniker anyway...thought that'll be funny...but somehow people remember it distinctly coz it's a pretty strong moniker all right!:D

• Members

But then to the important issue, "stunningbabe." I have no doubt that you are indeed stunning, but are you in fact a babe? And if that is actually a proper moniker for you, why then is mine not "uninteresting, unremarkable, and slightly overweight average looking guy?" I guess that must have been too long, so I had to pick a shorter one. ;)

And sorry for hijacking your thread a little. I second the Yorkville suggestion I made earlier, if I have actually made that suggestion.

• Members

Ok..I'm a babe to some people...and also not a babe to some people. To each his own.

It's the same for me. There are some guys that are hunks to some girls...but are only so-so to me.

So...it's entirely up to each person.

Anyway.... I don't know how Yorkville sound or look like coz there aren't any in Malaysia.

Archived