• Members

As far as figures on paper that's not a great spec

but...

Your sub speaker is probably at 1% if you're putting 25% of it's rated power and maybe 10% as you power it to full. Does it sound bad to you? Distortion and how much you can hear is a complicated subject. Your ear is most sensitive to it between 1K and 4K. As you go up and down from there it loses importance. It also depends on the dynamic range of your system. With crowd noise, stage amps, airconditioning, etc one can make tha case that 5% thd or so can't be distingushed because it falls below the background noise.

What specific amp and speaker combo are we discussing?

• Members

You will find similar ratings (by QSC) for their PL 6.0 and it DOESN'T sound bad. Notice for the PL's that they rate it that way and then VERY clean at slightly lower wattage. (drops from 1300 a channel to 1150 a channel.)

I think (and I have a RMX 1850HD for my subs) that they have given you a max rating at the 1800 watt reading, but that at 1600 you might find it MUCH cleaner than that. I never find that amp to sound bad even cranking on my ES808'S.

Don't worry about it....

• Members

This whole THD thing is SO overblown really...

If you back the level to the amp off just a bit, you will find that the distortion falls to less than .1 pretty darn quickly... maybe even drop it by 25 watts. This is a characteristic of ALL high negative feedback amps (which is 99.999% of what's out there).

• Members

Originally posted by schizo-fanatic

Yeah, the 1801 is 350 Watts continuous. (I'm guessing that the peak and program Watts are not important even though they are significantly higher.) But my QSC does 350 Watts per channel at 8 Ohms so that's really the way to go.

Then why the worry about bridging?

Archived