Mackie 24 /8/ 2 8 bus

• Members

I used to have a Mackie 24 x 8 for 9 years and sold it when I formed a new band 2 years ago and bought a portable system. I liked the mixer for home studio work. However, it is big and heavy and now-a-days there are much better live options. I would not even consider it for live use, unless you happen to have it in the garage.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Even the 4 bus live would be a better option.

Ok, you've piqued my interest now. What is it about the 8buss that make it not worth the hassle. Pure curiosity on my part as I tend to start looking at A&H, Soundcraft, etc when I'm thinking about something more expensive than the mackie 4 buss mixers, but anyway...

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Angry Jonny

Ok, you've piqued my interest now. What is it about the 8buss that make it not worth the hassle. Pure curiosity on my part as I tend to start looking at A&H, Soundcraft, etc when I'm thinking about something more expensive than the mackie 4 buss mixers, but anyway...

It's a studio board. The basic setup is geared towards running an 8-track recorder, not for running live sound. There are only 4 auxiliary sends, which at this price point is insufficient....figure two sends for effects, one for the subwoofer, and you've only got one monitor. There are ways around this, but again, at this price, why not get exactly what you need?

• Members

Only 4 auxes....you can stop right there with me. I feel restricted by the 6 auxes they put in the 4 bus mixers! I knew there was a good reason I wasn't interested in the 8 bus. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

slystewart, unless you really need 8 groups, I would definately look at the Allen & Heath GL 2200 in that price range. For a little more you could get the Crest HP 824 which has 8 busses, and 10 auxes, with 5 stereo channels in addition to the 24 mono channels instead of your more typical 20 mono + 2 stereo configuration.

Archived