carvin 1588?

• Members

They don't look all that great for live sound. You've got 2 15's, which tend to get a little muddy, coupled with two mid drivers, which would probably help a little, but still one small horn. My guess is that they'll be muddy and harsh, but maybe do OK with some EQ. These are marketed towards DJ's, and I think they'd fit that application better than live sound.

If you're set on Carvin, and your speaker budget is $600 ea, I don't see any reason you're not looking at their TRX-153, which I think would probably be a much better choice for PA use. So if you're going to be sending money to Carvin, at least go with something like that. I won't get into where else you could spend $600, since you're not asking that. There are certainly things that could be better about the TRX, but I still think it's a better choice that the 1588.

For the record, for an FOH speaker, you'd be best off going with a single 15", or even a 12", and if you feel the need to have a mid driver, that's up to you. If you have a 2" exit horn, a seperate mid driver is much less important, and the highs will tend to be smoother. If you're trying to get lots of bass without having to use subs, thus the dual 15 cab you're looking at, you're pretty much SOL. There's really no way around it. You need large cabinet volume, and the last thing you want is the muddiness of 15's overlapping or doubling up on frequencies. Most people who get dual 15 cabs early on regret it later when they do add subs, so in addition to having muddy mains, they no longer need the tiny little bit of extra low end that that extra 15 may have provided.

In general, I've found Carvin's stuff to be fairly decent, and it always did about what I expected it to. They make some bold claims about their stuff, so take it with a grain of salt, but they do build usable equipment. At least as far as their amps and speakers go, I've never liked their mixers, and I have no experience with their effects units or crossovers or anything. I would imagine they compare to their other stuff, decent, usable, but you maybe pay a little more for what you get.

I own 2 Carvin 722 monitors, and they work fine. Nothing special about them, they're better than a lot of cheap monitors, I suppose, and they're fairly efficient. I bought them a long time ago, and I can't complain about them.

Sorry, I got off on a bit of a rant there. Hope I said something useful.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

We have been using a pair of 1588s and some peavey 115s on top in Biamp mode. 1 Carvin dcm2000 for the highs and a crest 1500 for the lows. Crossover set right about 110 Ive run this setup for close to 90 shows in the last year and a half. And i must say the carvins didnt shine till biamping, now its got all thump you could ever want for small rooms ,bars . They always had the thump but in passive mode the top and mids were harsh now that i can dial that all in I like them. the 115s and the carvins make for a pretty tall stack so the sound from the high end get broad casted real well over the crowds head so it doesn't get muffled when the dance floor is packed. I got $600 into the 2 carvins and carvin amp $350 into the 115s and crest amp so with homade cables I got $1000 into it!!! Well I dont want to think its just the rig , you got to know how to run it, but every gig we have played the owners have complemented us on our sound !! Most saying we got the best sound out of all the bands they hire. When we do sound check and run through the drums by them selves everybody looks and feels it right through to your back bone. out side they do well but to do a show the way i want to hear it , I would have to come with about 5 times the rig. My #1 rule is sacrifice volume for sound quality , as most of the bar owners have told me they were surprised that we didnt try to blow our eardrums out by the end of the night. Headroom is the key to good sound quality!!

• Members

We have been using a pair of 1588s and some peavey 115s on top in Biamp mode. 1 Carvin dcm2000 for the highs and a crest 1500 for the lows. Crossover set right about 110 Ive run this setup for close to 90 shows in the last year and a half. And i must say the carvins didnt shine till biamping, now its got all thump you could ever want for small rooms ,bars . They always had the thump but in passive mode the top and mids were harsh now that i can dial that all in I like them. the 115s and the carvins make for a pretty tall stack so the sound from the high end get broadcasted real well over the crowds head so it doesnt get muffled when the dance floor is packed.

Is there some rite of passage that says your first post has to be to bump a really, really old thread. :confused: I don't get it.

• Members

didnt notice whats the diff

Almost every thread that gets bumped after many years is bumped by somebody's first post, and about half the first posts you see are bumping really old threads. I just wonder why it happens so frequently. I doubt the OP is still interested in 1588s and as far as I know Carvin hasn't even sold them for a few years.

• CMS Author

didnt notice whats the diff

Why respond to someone who hasn't even posted in 4 years, and asked this one 6 years ago?

Spelling and grammar count, as well. Nobody wants to read a pile of words thrown together. It's a sign of respect to the reader to at least make the attempt at composing coherent sentences and then organizing them into paragraphs.

Step up your game, please.

• Members

Well I gets the point across. and as far as information goes the more the better i would think!! but some one always has gripe about sumthin. anyhow there are alot of 1588s out there and i was just addin my 2cents . to tell the truth i thought the post was just fine good luck to ya

• Members

Does anyone else
:rolleyes:
when they read posts that are put together like a 10 year old's texting?
:cool:

Yep, but I don't really have a problem with 12 year's posts. If it was a current thread, I doubt anybody would have even noticed.

I'm just asking about the phenomenon of bumping ancient posts as your first post into a forum. If you see a thread come back to life after a decade, you can be pretty sure it's a noob's first post. I'm just kind of curious why it happens so often.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Band I worked with had a set. Used them for everything from small full range mains, added subs in a cluster, and they ended up being side fills. I believe their last use was as "Texas Headphones" drum monitors but not sure. These pictures were 25+ years ago. Had to start somewhere. I know the newer ones had a tiny horn and they did sound pretty bad. These had a larger horn and the highs kept up pretty good. Ah, memories.

1st picture they were being used as subs. SP2xt for in fills, Sp1g as longer throw with the 44xt 4 inch horn driver. Despite everything this cluster did sound great in the forum. Folded horn did work phase wise with the 2-18 sub pair. 2nd picture they are used as side fills with sp1g's on top, 4 2-18 subs.

To sum it up "Dude those speakers Rocked!" ;-)

5d157f26cd742e5944bc1e6f62a44e9e.thumb.jpg.d1c656124be688538d7b291c0efe83a9.jpg

7345bcfe07479c0bab872390e3d274fe.thumb.JPG.3d2ff2ba59e84967f57b187fa6bde821.JPG

Archived