Opto limiters necessairy?

• Members

Im looking at the carvin cp1800 for my bass rig

http://www.carvin.com/products/dcm.php?ItemNumber=CP900&CID=PWA

(link is for the 900)

it is the same as their dcm amps, except for no cosmetic crap and no optical limiter. Now how important is the opto limiter? will the amp clip without it? or will it shutdown before clipping?

• Members

Optical or not, a limiter is a nice feature as it prevents amplifier clipping.

I wouldn't worry about it being of the optical type, that's the way it was done many years back (it's very simple and naturally has useable time constants for attack and release) and some manufacturers still use it.

All amp limiters are pretty adequate nowadays.

• Members

What I'd worry about is:

1 - They say the amp is "the same" but the power output doesn't match any of the DCM amps. Also, weight makes no sense. It's 3 lbs heavier than the DCM version that is of a higher power. The one spec they do post, THD, is worse than that of DCM, although it's not clear how the spec is measured on the "value" amp. The DCM amp says what power was applied to come up with the number.

2 - The posted specs are EXTREMELY sparse (no spec sheet, no posted manual like the DCM, not even a picture of the back of the amp to see what connections are back there). That seems like a red flag to me.

3 - Doesn't specify that there are limiters of any kind. No mention of thermal protection. I see a few lights, but the picture is so bad on the site you can't make out what they are for.

• Members

There's another thread on here about that same amp http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=799621 I had questioned the THD spec and got some unexpected responces about that not being a big deal. I agree though there is not a lot of info on these amps, and I really tend to doubt they compare to the DCM line. The CP1800 is marked down $200 from the normal retail price (Reg $399), and the list price is $695. That's less than 29% of the list price, meaning it's marked down over 71% off, RED FLAG on the play. http://www.carvin.com/products/dcm.php?ItemNumber=CP1800&CID=PWA I've got a DCM2000 so I can attest that it is a good quality amp, as for the CP I can't say though I am skeptical. Do what you must, but remember that you get what you pay for. Also you might want to ask Carvin about their return policy on this item. If it's concidered a Clearence item they may not take it back WHEN you are unhappy with it.

• Members

I checked out the QSC's on their site. they do look comprable, but I am not very knowlageable. Now carvin makes a big deal about their amps being class H, and they go on about some kick drum test and crap like that, basicly the RMX1850HD is a class H amp. now is that bad? im not looking at the dcm2000, im looking at the 1500 so they're the same rack size.

The other reason I was consitering the cp1800 was because it has a three year warentee, so I figured if its made poorly than they will deal. not tru?

• Members

Originally posted by turtletheyertle

I checked out the QSC's on their site. they do look comprable, but I am not very knowlageable. Now carvin makes a big deal about their amps being class H, and they go on about some kick drum test and crap like that, basicly the RMX1850HD is a class H amp. now is that bad? im not looking at the dcm2000, im looking at the 1500 so they're the same rack size.

The other reason I was consitering the cp1800 was because it has a three year warentee, so I figured if its made poorly than they will deal. not tru?

I thought their amps were advertised as class AB, not H?

Archived