What to use for stage plot diagram

• Members

Hmm, I use Vectorworks, but I think any CAD program would work well.

If you don't have a CAD program, I think you could probably get something usable with a regular Paint program. The scale won't be perfect, but you can probably get it close enough.

• Members

Although it's somewhat of pain to use, you can try the 'draw" toolbar on Microsoft (spits twice in disgust) Word. Other possibilities include any simple bitmap "paint" program, or even fancy business graphic programs like Visio. But most people have Word, and you can try that.

Of course, you can always get a pencil and a piece of graph paper and do it the nostalgic way -- just for grins.

• Members

The shows I've done where the system contractor wanted stage plots and channel maps were satisfied with a letter-sized drawing using a stencil with flow-chart boxes, and neat lettering. Show who is standing where, what their mike, monitors, patching and electrical needs are (i.e. condensor mike on vocal, XLR for direct guitar + AC). Indicate where the backline is. Add comments if you have someone who is a special case (lead guitarist is deaf, big monitor, please !).

If you want to be elaborate, you could use MS Visio, but even a nice club will only require your stage plot and channel list be neat and legible.

Tip your house soundman !

• Members

Thanks for the info. I will try MS Paint, never used it but we'll see. How detailed do people like to see? We are just a 3 piece rock band with a singer and two of the guys sing backups. Should I add channel strip listings too? I don't want it to seem like we are hard to work with.

• Members

Don't worry too much about channel numbers, unless you travel with your own tech who likes things a certain way.

Make the plot reasonably detailed, with locations of mics, DIs (and if it's a front-line instrument like acoustic guitar, whether DI should be in front or in the amp backline), monitors, and AC power. Mention which singers want straight vs. boom stands.

Chairs, if needed.

Don't forget to label which side of the stage is "audience". Generally that's the bottom of the diagram. Mark the front-to-back centerline of the stage.

And have it proofread, too. One rider demanded a 48' tall stage. ;)

• Members

When I prepare them for bands that I work with to give to other soundmen, I usually just use MS paint for the plot. I insert text boxes to label what the backline componets are and the location of the stage monitors with a mix # in them. I usually have a second sheet with an input list with insert plot and a description of what the monitor mixes should have.

The input list also has what inserts are needed on what input and what kind of stands/clamps are needed and also what mic or DI box is prefered.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

Don't worry too much about channel numbers, unless you travel with your own tech who likes things a certain way.

Make the plot reasonably detailed, with locations of mics, DIs (and if it's a front-line instrument like acoustic guitar, whether DI should be in front or in the amp backline), monitors, and AC power. Mention which singers want straight vs. boom stands.

Chairs, if needed.

Don't forget to label which side of the stage is "audience". Generally that's the bottom of the diagram. Mark the front-to-back centerline of the stage.

And have it proofread, too. One rider demanded a 48' tall stage.
;)

AC power...I forgot about that!

We have a pretty simple set up for the most part....

• Members
Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

When I prepare them for bands that I work with to give to other soundmen, I usually just use MS paint for the plot. I insert text boxes to label what the backline componets are and the location of the stage monitors with a mix # in them. I usually have a second sheet with an input list with insert plot and a description of what the monitor mixes should have.

The input list also has what inserts are needed on what input and what kind of stands/clamps are needed and also what mic or DI box is prefered.

I don't know about the channel inserts. I know what we use in our system, but maybe the clubs won't have drum gates. That's really all we use.

• Members

The general rule of thumb is to ask for more than you want, so that you might get at least what you need ;)

Actually, I always ask for 4 channels of comps and 6 channels gate minimum on the rider. That way I have 'em if I need 'em.

On my own suitcase gigs I generally bring my own effects, mics, and four channels of comps too. Its all in a 6 space rack... (1) SPX 990, (2) TC M-one XL's, (1)REV 500 and (1) DBX 1046 comp. This is only when I don't know whats at the club (or some clubs where I do and don't like it ;) )

• Members

;)

Reminds me of one of my favorite moments from the incomparable This is Spinal Tap , where David, Nigel and Derrek sketched out the stage plot for their mock-up of Stonehenge on a cocktail napkin, but mistakenly indicated that the "stone pillars" should be 12" high instead of 12' high. Much humor ensued when, during the performance, the foot-tall, "built-to-spec" Stonehenge set was lowered to the stage and then dwarved by the dancing dwarves dressed as Druids. (Apologies for all the awful alliteration).

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

Personally, I don't care how it's done as long as it's correct. Nothing worse than getting wrong stage plots and riders!
:mad:

You mean like:

1) Notating which direction is the front of the stage (for those acts who insist on having the drum riser at the front of the stage and all the monitors pointed at their asses?

2) Notating where you want the power drops and how many outlets?

3) Notating that this IS the current stageplot and what is represented for players is what will actually be at the show?

4) Including current cell phone numbers and contact information?

5) Having the stageplot, input list, and rider written in the native language of the venue?

6) Including the name of the band and players (so I can refer to the stage right guitarist by something besides "stage right guitarist"... and know which stageplot goes with which band)?

Guest Anonymous

;)

So... was a 48ft. tall stage provided?

FWIW: I did provide pretty close to a 100KW FOH system... at a nightclub... it was stupid... speakers stacked floor to ceiling 30 ft. or so on each side of the stage (60ft. x 10ft. of cones showing... and gobs of horns stacked on-top)... inna 300 cap. club... the band decided that was a little on the "over-kill" side... and admitted they really wanted a 10,000W FOH rig.

Nobody could reach the band with their listed contact info to confirm the rider requirements prior to the show... so I provided pretty much what was called for (and charged accordingly).

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

So... was a 48ft. tall stage provided?

FWIW: I did provide pretty close to a 100KW FOH system... at a nightclub... it was stupid... speakers stacked floor to ceiling 30 ft. or so on each side of the stage (60ft. x 10ft. of cones showing... and gobs of horns stacked on-top)... inna 300 cap. club... the band decided that was a little on the "over-kill" side... and admitted they really wanted a 10,000W FOH rig.

Nobody could reach the band with their listed contact info to confirm the rider requirements prior to the show... so I provided pretty much what was called for (and charged accordingly).

Nice.

Woulda been even better if the stacks completely obliterated any view of the stage.....:D

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Craigv

Nice.

Woulda been even better if the stacks completely obliterated any view of the stage.....
:D

Well... it kind of did. The wall along the side of the building of the stage was about 70ft. long... you can do the math.

The band threw a sh*t-fit when they first arrived. I pulled out the rider... and went over it line by line with the promoter & band standing right there. Everything was "as specified" (or close enough... about 60 or 70KW of FOH system power). The band admitted they just send out the rider never really expecting anyone to read it or provide what's listed... and they hadn't actually even read it themselves... it was kind of a cut and past deal from somebody else's rider (cause their agent said "you gotta have a rider... kid")... and nobody in the band knew what all that mumbo-jumbo concerning the sound and lighting gear was anyway... no clue what the difference between 10,000 W and 100,000 W is.

It all turned out fine in the end. I pulled the cabinets I had piled on stage... but still left about... oh... maybe 40KW of FOH cabinets in-place... literally speakers from floor to ceiling from the edges of the stage all the way along the wall on both sides. The band took a lot of pictures.

• Members

You throw in a line like "appropriate for venue" if needed. I just had one the other day, something like "drum mics appropriate for venue for 4-piece kit with kick, snare, two toms...".

Might be a hair risky in some dives, but you'd be screwed there anyway. Better to advance the gigs so you can be sure of what you're asking.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Personally, I don't care how it's done as long as it's correct. Nothing worse than getting wrong stage plots and riders!
:mad:

Reminds me of an act I did a few weeks ago. I was a one-off of a group that I had worked with about a year ago. I was the ME and was expecting 7 stereo ear mixes and 29 inputs. When the BE showed up he informed me that 2 Band members were sick and would not be performing. (Two mixes gone)

I showed him the stage plot and input list that had been faxed with the contract and was titled "Artist Name Stage Plot 2005". He took one look and said, "Thats not the one on my laptop." And then walked away.

I'm thinking "O.K. he will be back with the revised copy in a few minutes"

Nope, I finally track him down and press for what is different. He makes a couple of changes and I go back to wiring the stage...time passes and he steps in and starts helping to placing mics.

Watching what he is doing I notice that he is setting mic positions where none are indicated on the plot. Once again I question "Uh what is this for?"

"Oh, that's not on the plot either."

ACKKK

Make a long story short after three of these encounters I was able to get all the information to wire the stage.

Interesting observation: they dropped 2 musicians and added 10 channels to the input list! Thanks goodness that they were not there...I only had a 48 input desk!

Please keep your stage plots up-to-date and carry current copies to give out just in case. The sanity you save might be Mine!

• Members

I fiddled a bit with Paint. I think you are better off using the Draw toolbar in Word owing to it being easier to group, move, and copy objects. Here's the HTML version of one I did with Draw (it's kinda screwed up owing to the conversion): http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/LivingProof.htm

Here's the Word Document: http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/LivingProof.doc

• Members

Originally posted by TimmyP

I fiddled a bit with Paint. I think you are better off using the Draw toolbar in Word owing to it being easier to group, move, and copy objects. Here's the HTML version of one I did with Draw (it's kinda screwed up owing to the conversion):
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/LivingProof.htm

Here's the Word Document:
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/LivingProof.doc

Wow, that's a nice plot. Of course I gotta nitpick, though. ;) The only thing that looks like a problem is using color to differentiate sources. What happens when it gets faxed? Just changing to unique shapes would fix that.

• Members

I fiddled a bit with Paint. I think you are better off using the Draw toolbar in Word owing to it being easier to group, move, and copy objects. Here's the HTML version of one I did with Draw (it's kinda screwed up owing to the conversion):

Here's the Word Document:

That looks very good! That's what I was looking for. I messed with Paint, but it's kinda funky for me to work with (I'm not that great with computers). I have Word, where do I find the Draw toolbar?

thanks!

George

• Members

If memory serves, Draw is a plugin that you can download from the MS site (if it is not on your Office installation disc).

I found it. It took me awhile poking around the software, but I found it! I am using yours as a guide, it's been a great help.....thanks a ton!

George

Archived