Good mixer for home use?

• Members

Hey all, i'm looking for a microphone mixer to use at home for karaoke. here's what i would like:

- at least 3 mic inputs

- reverb/echo or something

- around 100 dollars

Output will be going into my home stereo system (i know i should use live speakers, but I wont be doing anything crazy here)

Any suggestions? Not looking for anything too amazing here....mainly want to get rid of the .15 secondish delay on the mics the way i have them set up now (going through an xbox).

I see these little mixers that look about the size of a deck of cards and wonder if those would suffice, then i see powered mixers that are laptop sized and wonder if thats what i need. don't really know what advantage/disadvantage there is to a powered or unpowered mixer.

Thanks for any help! :D

• CMS Author

Yamaha MG series, Peavey RQ or PV series, Soundcraft Folio's. Both ART and Rolls make good quality versions of the tiny micro mixers, but remember that they have no EQ at all, so you can't control any feedback issues that are bound to be present.

You don't need a powered mixer if you're going into the home stereo system. Powered mixers are intended to power a set of speakers directly. You'd probably destroy home theater speakers with all but the weakest of them.

• Members

I find that good mixers for home use are 2 Liter bottles of Coke, Sprite & Selter. Helps to have some Vermouth around too. Make sure to stock up on limes/lemons, marishino cherries, olives (black & green). I know there's more to it but I'm forgetting stuff...

p

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

I find that good mixers for home use are 2 Liter bottles of Coke, Sprite & Selter. Helps to have some Vermouth around too. Make sure to stock up on limes/lemons, marishino cherries, olives (black & green). I know there's more to it but I'm forgetting stuff...

p

All i serve at my place is everclear and milk. If i want to get frilly, i cut a dill pickle in half and throw it in the glass.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Yamaha MG series, Peavey RQ or PV series, Soundcraft Folio's. Both ART and Rolls make good quality versions of the tiny micro mixers, but remember that they have no

Thanks guys, I checked out the peavey and it looks pretty good...i can get it used for $50 bucks at a local shop -- only drawback is no echo/reverb/etc., but i could just get an external thingamajig later, right

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631366/c_lv=1/

another one that looks good is this one.. has effects, but only 2 mic inputs really need at least three:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/630156/

P.S. what does phantom power mean? It's still considered an unpowered mixer, right? Advantages of phantom power? Thanks again :D

• Members

Originally posted by ooooo

All i serve at my place is everclear and milk. If i want to get frilly, i cut a dill pickle in half and throw it in the glass.

I have very bad memories of everclear! I suspect that Mark may have a similar experience?

• Members

Originally posted by ooooo

Isn't this called a "cement mixer"? (Cause it curdles in your mouth):eek:

Archived