cable question

• Members

My monitor amp is a Peavey PV 500 it only has stero/bridge switch so your saying bridge it to mono using a jumper cable on the 2 red binding post. I don't know if my drivers can handle that kind of power they're only 150 watt peak [i know need better drivers] that would be throwing 250 watts at those drivers.:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

My monitor amp is a Peavey PV 500 it only has stero/bridge switch so your saying bridge it to mono using a jumper cable on the 2 red binding post. I don't know if my drivers can handle that kind of power they're only 150 watt peak
[i know need better drivers]
that would be throwing 250 watts at those drivers.
:confused:

NO...

Use just one input and use an adapter cable (on the INPUT) to split the mono signal into 2 mono signals. Those go into your amp's left & right inputs.

Leave the damn bridge switch alone... in the stereo position.

• Members

Parallel inputs are different than bridged outputs. Probably don't want to confuse the two.

If your amp has XLR and 1/4" inputs, you can run an XLR cable to channel one, and use a 1/4" TRS cable from the 1/4" input jack on channel 1 to the input on channel 2. Most of the time, anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

Parallel inputs are different than bridged outputs. Probably don't want to confuse the two.

If your amp has XLR and 1/4" inputs, you can run an XLR cable to channel one, and use a 1/4" TRS cable from the 1/4"
input
jack on channel 1 to the input on channel 2. Most of the time, anyway.

you can seriously do this? i would never have imagined... so exactly how does that work?

• Members

My monitor amp is a Peavey PV 500 it only has stero/bridge switch so your saying bridge it to mono using a jumper cable on the 2 red binding post. I don't know if my drivers can handle that kind of power they're only 150 watt peak
[i know need better drivers]
that would be throwing 250 watts at those drivers.
:confused:

No. "Y" the signal from the monitor output into both channels of the power amp. Each channel of the amp will get the same signal from the monitor output and your amp will obviously still be running in stereo,or separate L/R channels. Also,you can "Y" out of the monitor output into two channels of an EQ(or separate mono EQ's) if you want to EQ the two channels of the power amp differently.

• Members

so I want to Y at the input of the monitor out at the board then run into the EQ out into the amp from the EQ is this right.I'm still confused here, the only thing I know is I don't want to daisy chain all the monitor together that would equal a 2ohm load and this amp can't handle that type of load 4x8ohms=2ohms from my understanding.

• Members

You've got a few possibilities.

You could take the monitor output from your board, to whatever processing (EQ, etc), then to your amp, then either use a Y cable at the input, run into a channel and use a jumper to get to the other channel, or use the "Parallel Input" switch, if your amp has one (Note: NOT a bridge mono switch).

Or, as per tlbonehead's suggestion, you can take your monitor output, Y it at the board, go into 2 channels of EQ, then each out to a channel of the amp. This would allow you to process each channel seperately, so you could EQ each channel seperately, although it would still be the same mix. This would be especially advantageous if you had different speakers on each channel of the amp, or if one or two speakers were in an especially difficult area of the stage.

It depends on what you want to do, and it might also depend on how many channels of EQ you have available. It's basically two different ways of solving the problem. And you're right, 4 8 ohm speakers daisy chained is a 2 ohm load. Don't do that. And you're right, don't bridge the amp either, not for this.

Guest Anonymous

4x8ohms=2ohms from my understanding.

Yes Tommy: 4 x 8 ohms wired in parallel is 2 ohms.

Parallel ohm load rule:

1 divided by (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) + (1/R4)) is how you figure the parallel ohm load, which in your case is:

1 divided by (1/8) + (1/8) + (1/8) + (1/8)) = 1 divided by 4/8 = 1 divided by 1/2.

How many time does 1/2 go into 1? Twice. Therefore the answer is 2.

The series rule is much easier: R1 + R2 + R3 + RN

So if you hooked all 4 ea. 8 ohm loads in series, the load would be 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 32 ohms.

Archived