EV S181 cab and EVX 180B driver

• Members

Have a chance to pick up some old EV S181 cabs. Can't find any specs on the EV site. Not my 1st choice for a single 18, but the price is right. Loaded with original drivers. "D" series I'm guessing?

Would like to use them in the rooms that don't require the dual 18's and as subs for drum/sidefill monitors.

Are the cabinets themselves up to the task?

Will an EVX 180B driver work in this cab as a replacement?

Thanks,

jim

• Members

If I recall, depending on the date of manufacturer, the cabinet came with either EVM-18B's or 18B-PL's.

The EVX is a very different driver and I'm sure the tuning will be very different.

The original drivers can be reconed reasonably, but they are limited to about 300 watts RMS IME. The EVX-180 should not be powered by more than about 500 watts RMS... I have seen plenty of failures of these by "BIG" amps. Recone cost for the 180 is considerably more costly too.

• Members

The S181's are a really poor single 18 sub IMHO. They design was interesting but the cabs can't handle much power and they fart out quite easily. Agedhorse is prolly right on the driver, they don't really like more than 300w RMS. Everyone is selling those cabs now that you can get compact and loud better than the EV can. For a drum fill, yeah I'd use em, but for FOH forget it. Look for a pair of T-18's or even S18's (very hard to find).

p

• Members

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna let 'em go. I knew the drivers wouldn't cut it, but I thought maybe the boxes would.

I guess I'll hold out for some JBL SRX or EV QRX single 18's.

I've used the MP418 and it is nothing special. Got to A/B 'em with the SRX and there is no comparison.

It would be nice to have the EV QRX as that is what the rest of my system is, but they are rare used, expensive, and quite a bit heavier than the JBL's.

Guess I'll keep lugging in one dual 18 for the smaller gigs for now.

Rock on!

• Members

It all depends on what you're using the S-181s for.

I have a set of S-181s for FOH and I haven't blown them yet. They are nice compact subs for a closed small to medium sized room but they don't project very well outdoors or in a long room. They're quite popular with DJs these days.

• Members

I don't mean to hijack a thread (now HomeLand Security has just logged on), but I really am looding for another pair of S15's. If you know anyone who has a pair I'd sure like to buy them. Really I need T251(+'s) so if you know someone with those send me a pm. The t251's are the poor mans deltamax 1152's. thanx

p

• Members

Big Bang, i am interested to know what differences you haerd comparing the 418 to the srx sub of similar size (4718?). The SRX serries bix is slightly larger but uses the same driver, and i'ld be intrigued to hear them side by side.

• Members

Originally posted by matt emery

Big Bang, i am interested to know what differences you haerd comparing the 418 to the srx sub of similar size (4718?). The SRX serries bix is slightly larger but uses the same driver, and i'ld be intrigued to hear them side by side.

I was comparing the MP418 with the "older" SRX, 4718 sounds right. Same drivers but the SRX had a slightly bigger and I believe heavier box.

It was with pre-recorded material. Drum and bass tracks as well as various rock cd's.

The 4718 sounded bigger. Seemed to go lower and seemed to be smoother than the MP418. Didn't need as much eq to produce what I wanted to hear.

That was my experience.

Archived