New Powered Behringers = Opera?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by taylor840

Is this Behringer's version of Opera's speakers?

It says 450 watts but is that ONE amp with a passive crossover in the speaker or is that the total for 2 amps biamping the speaker?

At around $300 U.S. list the 12 inch might make a good low level monitor but they don't state if it can be placed on its side.

http://www.behringer.com/B212A/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Dookietwo

• Members

Originally posted by Dookietwo

At around $300 U.S. list the 12 inch might make a good low level monitor but they don't state if it can be placed on its side.

They do:

"Versatile trapezoidal enclosure design allows different positioning: stand mounting with 35-mm pole socket or side tilt positioning for use as a floor monitor."

• Members

Originally posted by kevinnem

Craig - I don't understand, ... do you work for db?

I believe he means Behringer's modus operandi is copying existing products.

You can offer lower price points if you let others do your R&D!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Well i bought me a pair ( the Behringers) and for someone who works on a VERY reg basis and who also owns some very good powered boxes (Quest QSA 3OO) the Behringers are VERY good for the $$$$. I wanted some cheap lightweight powered monitors and while i was not expecting greatness from the behringers i thought that they would suffice.....??? Well i was floored, they sound and preform exceptionally well, much, much better than i had anticipated. I have owned Behringer gear in the past and had my share of mishaps with it but when there was a prob it was ALWAYS either replaced for me or repaired under warranty. Now i know most will prolly flame me for for it but in this day and age with what we muso's make outa gigging for a living, saving bucks is on the top of my priority list and at $349.00 Australian for these , "with a 2 year warranty" i figure ya can't go wrong. Even if the damn thing catches on fire after 2 years you could go buy another and prolly still be out front with what you would pay for a single big brand name. I guess in the end it all comes down to "what works for you" ..That being said i don't think i would use these boxes for mains (although you could) but for a VERY GOOD, compact light powered monitor they do the job extremely well.:thu:

Jess.

• Members

behringers looks like the closest "ripoff" to the db cab, but still different enough to not confuse the two.

I recently purchased a B212a cab myself and was also surprised at it's performance.....$161 on b-stock shipped for free.

Light, versatile, and great as a vocal monitor.

I second the customer support experience as well. Only good things to say.

One day when I can afford eaw's maybe I'll "move up"

-Jazz

• Members

I dont see any problem with the copying Behringer does. It gives a low-cost alternative to those who cant afford the original. If the original maker doesnt protect his intellectual property (and, fine, maybe he cant - but same result) properly, then Behringer should be able to provide competition. If you want to argue that the intellectual property laws are flawed, then fine, but it isnt Behringer's fault.

• Members

I dont see any problem with the copying Behringer does. It gives a low-cost alternative to those who cant afford the original. If the original maker doesnt protect his intellectual property (and, fine, maybe he cant - but same result) properly, then Behringer should be able to provide competition. If you want to argue that the intellectual property laws are flawed, then fine, but it isnt Behringer's fault.

So you are sayying there is no such thing as morality? Right and wrong is only based on laws?

• Members

I can't believe everybody is stealing Behringer's design....what? Did I miss something?

Stealing is stealing. I assume that db & the others don't mind since Behringer's copies are crap and people will realize that the "original" version must be pretty good for Behringer to steal the design.

• Members

So if you write an awesome original song and I copy it and sell it, I am just providing competition, right? Do you have any work tapes I can borrow, or do I have to wait till you release them? I am sure I will play and sell them for less, after all I have no time invested in developing them.

• CMS Author

You're kidding, right?

Why should anyone do their own R&D? Just look in the stores, buy a sample, and copy it.

• Members

Here is another thought, some, if not most, of the best advice comes from a group of engineers that design products for different manufacturers that we are very fortunate to have on this board. Think of at least one reason there is no-one from Behr. on here. Enough of this "competition" and they are out of a job, and music gear will stop developing right where it is. It costs alot of money to design and develop a new product, and the company that pays to do so, has to get their money back.

• Members

And don't use the tired, "it is the only gear I can afford" excuse. My first PA was a set of Koss headphones used as a mic, plugged into the second input of my TNT 100 that I was still using for my bass. It sucked, so I saved and bought a Rat shack mic, plugged into a ampeg flip-top head(wish I still had that) through a pair of Standell 4-12 columns. That sucked too, but it worked.

Archived