Anyone know where i can get some jbl sr4702x monitors?

• Members

Originally posted by SG-DAWG

I know they are discontinued.I was thinking about getting new mp415s for monitors but i figured the srx would be better.thanks.

try gearsource or soundbroker or htics

I'm 100% sure I've seen those on one of those sites, just can't remember which one

• CMS Author

From what I've heard the newer SR700 is better enough to justify getting new. Having said that, since I've got SR-X for FOH I too would like matching 4702 wedges if I could find them for closeout prices....but that seems to be n'er to impossible. Let us know what you find....I'll take two pair off someone's inventory.

• Members
Originally posted by Craigv

From what I've heard the newer SR700 is better enough to justify getting new. Having said that, since I've got SR-X for FOH I too would like matching 4702 wedges if I could find them for closeout prices....but that seems to be n'er to impossible. Let us know what you find....I'll take two pair off someone's inventory.

Will do bud.I think the price will probably knock my socks off.BTW what do you use now for monitors?

• Members

I found a place that has 2 left and they want 790.00 each.The place is fullcompass.com if you want them go ahead and get them.Im not 100% i wanna sell my les paul custom yet and thats the only way i could afford even two of these.

• CMS Author

Will do bud.I think the price will probably knock my socks off.BTW what do you use now for monitors?

Either my IEM's or rent. Against my better judgement I tried those GC-specific Turbosounds and they're utter crap. I thought about Peavey SP12M's until I realized I was looking at carpeted boxes....only poly coating for wedges thank you. Big disappointment...they sound good. So that leaves MP412's (the most likely candidate) or possibly the SR-X or SR-700 if I feel flush. Essentially, there's no free lunch.

• CMS Author

I found a place that has 2 left and they want 790.00 each.The place is fullcompass.com if you want them go ahead and get them.Im not 100% i wanna sell my les paul custom yet and thats the only way i could afford even two of these.

Not a bad price at all. Only problem for fussy people like me is buying only two and then not finding another pair later...I like my stuff to match, especially out front where it's visible.

• Members

Not a bad price at all. Only problem for fussy people like me is buying only two and then not finding another pair later...I like my stuff to match, especially out front where it's visible.

Yeah, me too! Sure makes servicing and spare parts inventory easier.

Beware that the MP-400 subs use a propriatary driver and there's no recone kits available from JBL for them. It's a replacement only driver which sucks big time. Good news though is that the replacement isn't that much more expensive than a recone. The SR-4700 series uses the standard JBL 2200 series drivers.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by agedhorse

Yeah, me too! Sure makes servicing and spare parts inventory easier.

Beware that the MP-400 subs use a propriatary driver and there's no recone kits available from JBL for them. It's a replacement only driver which sucks big time. Good news though is that the replacement isn't that much more expensive than a recone. The SR-4700 series uses the standard JBL 2200 series drivers.

I'm okay for subs...have the 4719's under 4735's, and presently only need equivalent wedges for monitor use and the occasional small gig that I can stick two on a pole (above the Tuba's? Bwahahahah!!) and two on the floor.

Doesn't the MP418S use a 2441G driver, the same as the SR4718X ? There's no recone kit for that, but there is one for the 2441H ?

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't the MP418S use a 2441G driver, the same as the SR4718X ? There's no recone kit for that, but there is one for the 2441H ?

2241 maybe?

There wouldn't be much thump with 2441's (not for long anyway).

There's gotta be 2241G recone kits available... there's just gotta be (considering the demand that surely exists)! I don't think the 2241J (16 ohm) kits are available anymore, but last time I checked, seems like the 4 ohm voicecoil kits were available.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

2241 maybe?

There wouldn't be much thump with 2441's (not for long anyway).

There's gotta be 2241G recone kits available... there's just gotta be (considering the demand that surely exists)! I don't think the 2241J (16 ohm) kits are available anymore, but last time I checked, seems like the 4 ohm voicecoil kits were available.

Yeah, 2241. To make matters worse, I specifically looked it up in the SR-X owners manual because I often dislex the numbers on stuff like this.:rolleyes:

"220, 221...whatever it takes" :D

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, 2241. To make matters worse, I specifically looked it up in the SR-X owners manual because I often dislex the numbers on stuff like this.
:rolleyes:

"220, 221...whatever it takes"
:D

That's ok... I think that happens to everybody but smart cats.

A few days ago I had an order for 3 ea. guitar cables (in with some other stuff).

1) 1 ea. 20ft. double straight,

2) 1 ea. 20ft. straight and right angle,

3) 1 ea. 30ft. straight and right angle.

I went to the guitar cable pile, pulled out the three... bench tested them and checked the models against the pick list. I had one of the three picked wrong. Back to the guitar cable pile and got the right one... and again checked the three against the picklist. Still one was wrong... back to the guitar cable pile, then back to the bench. This time the three guitar cables checked with the checklist. Shipped them (with the other stuff in the order). A few days later I got a phone call: One of the guitar cables was wrong. Aargh...

While I was taking down the info about who, what, and where concerning the wrong guitar cable, call waiting beeps me. The call-waiting phone call was in regards to the fact that I had sent a mic case to the guy that was suspose to get a cable trunk and visa-versa.

Stands to reason. During the process of making three trips to the guitar cable pile, I had discovered I'd put the wrong labels on the mic case and cable trunk, so I cut the labels off and swapped them. I'm pretty sure I had the labels and cables right the first-time and outsmarted myself by double checking myself.

Sometimes, I think my cat has the right idea. He slept the day away today (again) and didn't make a single mistake.

• Members

I'm okay for subs...have the 4719's under 4735's, and presently only need equivalent wedges for monitor use and the occasional small gig that I can stick two on a pole (above the Tuba's? Bwahahahah!!) and two on the floor.

Sorry, I ment the monitor (the 412 style) just didn't get it out right. They use the 2023H which is a replacement only item atthis time.

The sub does use the 2241G (4 ohm) and recone kits are available, no problem.

• CMS Author

Sorry, I ment the monitor (the 412 style) just didn't get it out right. They use the 2023H which is a replacement only item atthis time.

The sub does use the 2241G (4 ohm) and recone kits are available, no problem.

No problem. Are there good aftermarket recone kits for it? I get nervous when lower cost items don't have repair parts....gives me the "it ain't worth fixin'" feeling...which for me translates to "it ain't worth buyin"....

• Members

There is a very limited source of 4 ohm kits available for the 2241. I always use custom copper edgewound coils for the 224X series due to the elimination of one of the biggest failure modes of the aluminum coils... where the flat-wire turns 90 degrees up the bobbin. When bending in manufacture, it changes the crystaline structure of the material (work-hardening) which increases the DCR, which is already a bit of a problem with aluminum anyway. When this happens in a localized spot that is work-hardened, it becomes a real problem. Copper does not have this problem as bad, but it can still be a problem.

Guest Anonymous

Copper does not have this problem as bad, but it can still be a problem.

Humm....

I was under the impression that copper work hardens more-so than aluminum; however, annealing the copper removes the dislocation of the crystal structure. Annealing copper is relatively easy to do. I suspect annealing aluminum is difficult. I don't know that I've ever heard of annealed aluminum, but I suspose it exists since copper and aluminum have similar face centered cubic crystal structure. I would suspect that aluminum wire (extremely thin flat aluminum wire as used in edge wound aluminum wire voice coils) is fully work hardened by the time it's drawn and probably all-but impossible to anneal in the thin wire form. I would suspect that aluminum voice-coil wire is fully work hardened when wound on the voicecoil, and bending the work hardened aluminum voice coil wire is what causes the problem.

I would suspect that annealed copper wire is pretty soft when wound into a voice coil, and although it probably work hardens when it's bent, at least it's not a case of bending work hardened wire.

I also suspect there are problems with getting a good doo soldering to aluminum, since aluminum oxide is a lousy conductor (one of the worst I think) and aluminum wire would undoubtedly have a good coating of aluminum oxide on the surface by the time solder is applied.

I dunno though?

• Members

I should have been more clear...are there good aftermarket recone kits for the 2023H used in the MP-412?

Regarding the work-hardening issue for the 2241 coils, is it possible to heat the flat-wire before bending to minimize the problem?

None that I am aware of.

Can't anneal the wire after it's been wound on the bobbin. The answer is to make a more gradual bend, but that's not how it's done.

• Members

The main problem with the aluminum is that it has higher resistance before work-hardning. For the impedance portion of the equation (the biggest part thee material type doesn't matter. For the DCR portion, the material is everything.

I do not know how they draw and roll AL flatwire, but I suspect heat and pressure are invoved, and appropeiate management of heat during the manufacturing process will help considerably.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I still have one pair of those older SRs from above that I run off an XTI4000 in stereo. They can take your head and sound pretty good doing it. Think of an SR4733X cut in half as a monitor. I use them for bass/drums and no complaints yet (except the kick won't a lot of air even though the freqs ARE there.) If we had not gone IEM last year, I would have bought them from Clint since he lives near enough to go pick them up without shipping. These are decent monitors, but any recones will cost some real coins.....

Archived