Crackling sound P.A. system ?

• Members

What is the cause of this crackling sound coming from my PA system. Everytime I turn my system on I get this sound. All my cables are pretty new from Mark. My system pretty basic 3 amps a x-over and 1-DBX comp (new) and 2- DBX 31 band EQ (new) 1 EQ for FOH and 1 EQ for monitors and a new PV mixer. The only thing I think it could be maybe the x-over unit cause's this. Or my speakers which are Fender EL15 for mid/hi's. It only comes from the mid/hi's:confused:

• Members

There are plenty of culprits available, but - just a first guess - are you overdriving the channels on the mixer?

What kind of mixer do you use? Does every channel "crackle" or is it just one channel (such as the guitarist on a lead, or the lead singer on a loud passage)?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by twostone

What is the cause of this crackling sound coming from my PA system. Everytime I turn my system on I get this sound.

It only comes from the mid/hi's:confused:

When you turn it on it makes the crackling sound? Ok, with or without signal? Have you tried isolating the source? If not, do it like this (divide and conquer):

1) Turn on only the crossover and amp. Crackle yes/no?

Yes? Turn off the amps, then turn off the crossover. Then turn the amps back on. Crackly yes/no?

A) Yes? Then turn on only one amp at a time and swap around cables and speakers until you isolate the amp (s), cable (s) or speaker (s) causing the problem.

B) No? Turn off the amps, turn on the crossover, then turn the amps back on. Crackle? Yes? Then the crossover or crossover to amp cables are the problem.

No to #1: Then go up-stream from the crossover until the crackle starts.

If it's a constant background crackle that starts at the beginning but goes away that's a whole different thing than if the crackle gets worse the more SPL.

Some of the more common causes for start-up crackle are: dirty lifting jacks, cracked solder joints, loose ribbon cables, or corroded connections (somewhere).

Is the problem when the choke's on or off?:D

Guest Anonymous

Hey Mark Tom here let me try your suggestion and I 'll get back to you. I let you know the results.

Hopefully, it's your Unity board... you need an excuse to kick that to the curb.

I suspect the crackle is throughout the system, only you can't hear it in the subs.

• Members

Alright I tried what suggested and I had a bad cord on the other end no noise from the amp rack but from the mixer rack thanks Mark sometimes I forget things, now I feel silly as hell for not checking the signal flow. Thanks for reminding me and your help.:)

Guest Anonymous

Alright I tried what suggested and I had a bad cord on the other end

So, what's the deal with the cord? One of mine?

• Members

No not yours one of my old patch cables but heck I've had that patch cable for eons. I remembered to color code my cables with some zip ties but noticed this patch cable didn't have a zip tie on it. Then found it on my recording gear and I switch out the cables and no more crackle and thanks Mark for your concern about the cables, I regard your cables as the best for the money they're similar to a monster cable but a fraction of the price and thanks again for your input.;)

Archived