Soundman toolbox

• Members

Mine just broke. It was a plastic $25 homedepot job that lasted 5 years of my abuse. It holds a variety of connectors/adapters/shrink/solder/strippers/screwdrivers/bulbs /flash lights/sharpies/batteries/ and God knows what else. Before I rush out and replace it with another $25 HomeDepot plastic box du jour, I thought I'd see what type of utility box you folks use to store all your soundman "magic dust".

• Members

sounds like we have almost identical systems. ours a tad larger and holds some di's and some patch cables as well.

I have recently seen a flightcase drawer system that seemed like it worked the best, but i imagine it was very pricey. edit: a little more custom than agedhorses system but essentially the same.

• Members

A rolling craftsman tool box screwed to the back in my box truck. works great. I have more speakon to quarter inch adaptors than any one should ever have and they don't even get used. Where they come form ????

• Members

I've got a black SKB style tool/briefcase. I use these plastic see through pencil boxes from Staples to keep things organized, one for XLR adapters, anther for 1/4" and RCA ones, one for tools, one for insert, Y, split adapters, etc. It also holds my headphones, Q-box, phase checker, SPL meter, a Littlelite(in a pencil box) and yet another pencil box with sharpies, spare batteries and board tape.

FOHcase.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

sounds like we have almost identical systems. ours a tad larger and holds some di's and some patch cables as well.

I have recently seen a flightcase drawer system that seemed like it worked the best, but i imagine it was very pricey. edit: a little more custom than agedhorses system but essentially the same.

Mark sells the rack with drawers too. I have been thinking about picking one up. They look really nice.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/DR002H_toolcase/DR002H_cutsheet.asp

• CMS Author

"A clean desk is a sure sign of insanity." If this be true, I'm getting more sane every week. I've got so many projects going I'm losing track of everything. Which is making me slightly insane.

I've got a good-sized basement workshop, got tools in a rollaway in the garage, got tools in softbags in the truck box. Got nuthin' at all specifically organized for the sound gear. For me this is really bad. I've got a nice Rubbermaid resin toolbox that's become more and more empty as I've migrated more and more of my general carpentry tools into a Bucket Boss, so it's very likely going to be commandeered for this use.

But Audiopile's rack tool box sure looks good as a long term distant solution. But only if I amass a real need to keep such a box on the (future) trailer. No way I'll be lugging that thing up and down basement stairs.

Perhaps I just need a ground-floor shop????? Hmmmm:thu:

• Members

Well, I use a workbox that I picked up a while ago, and it works really well. It's not exactly compact though...

It works well, but I find that it doesn't have enough drawers in it, so I'll be building a couple more to go beneath the other 3. I took those pics right after I got it, and since then, it's filled up quite a bit. I sometimes wish that I had a smaller, briefcase sized case for things like adapters and stuff for small shows, but this is ideal in most situations.

WB2.JPG

WB4.JPG

WB6.JPG

FWIW, my boss has an EWI workbox, and it works well too. It's too small, but everything always is. It packs about the same as a rack, so it fits in the truck better than my workbox does.

I would recommend a workbox, such as the EWI model, if your situation warrants it. Otherwise, you might look at one of the briefcases by Anvil or others, or at the briefcases by SKB and Gator.

One sound company in our area has an old 24 space rack with drawers, which works well. Most of their adapters are in a tackle box though, the rack is just for tools, tape, markers, and other stuff like that.

• Members

Yes, yes it is. I think I have 2 in there now, actually, the same one in the pic and another one . It's a lot cheaper than gaff tape for getting stuff off of things, even though I don't use them that often.

I once had a bass player bring a carpeted stack that was covered with more cat hair than I'd ever seen. Came in handy that day. It doesn't work quite as well on tiny wood chips though.

They also work well on black clothes, obviously.

But I will say I've never seen it on a rider. Somehow I think most touring guys could do with a good shower, or at least some strong cologne, before they'd be worried about lint. ;)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by B. Adams

Yes, yes it is. I think I have 2 in there now, actually, the same one in the pic and another one . It's a lot cheaper than gaff tape for getting stuff off of things, even though I don't use them that often.

I once had a bass player bring a carpeted stack that was covered with more cat hair than I'd ever seen. Came in handy that day. It doesn't work quite as well on tiny wood chips though.

They also work well on black clothes, obviously.

But I will say I've never seen it on a rider. Somehow I think most touring guys could do with a good shower, or at least some strong cologne, before they'd be worried about lint.
;)

My very first thought was, "carpeted cabinet cat-hair cleaner".:D

• Members

One of the companies that I do a lot of shows with has 20 space racks for their workboxes too. There is a one space unit with two gooseneck lamps and then there are two 2 space drawers that are home to a lot of different audio adapters in mic zipperbags, as well as a spare tuner (that comes in handy a lot actually), and the first aid kit, spare batteries, solder kit, etc. The third drawer is a four space that has foam mic cut outs in it for all of the vocal mics and things like 57's and 609's etc. The fourth drawer is three spaces and has all the DI boxes and the condensers in their boxes. Mostly SM81's, 414's, and SM98's (not the betas). Then they have a heavy duty 8 space drawer for mic cables on the bottom. Its great to have all that in one place.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by flanc

Mine just broke. It was a plastic $25 homedepot job that lasted 5 years of my abuse. It holds a variety of connectors/adapters/shrink/solder/strippers/screwdrivers/bulbs /flash lights/sharpies/batteries/ and God knows what else. Before I rush out and replace it with another $25 HomeDepot plastic box du jour, I thought I'd see what type of utility box you folks use to store all your soundman "magic dust".

I use a padded rip-stop nylon carrying case for a consumer variety JVC VHS camcorder. I bought it at The Goodwill for about $5 some 10-odd years ago.

I pack the same stuff: a variety of connectors/adapters/shrink/solder/strippers/screwdrivers/bulbs /flash lights/sharpies/batteries/ and a Sony Discman and a few CD's... as well as a roll of gaff tape and a roll of board tape... and some Allen wrenches, vise grips, ear plugs, leather gloves, shower-in-a-can, Fluke 77, zip ties, shock line, etc... It works just dandy. The shoulder strap part is especially handy.

• Members

This summer I built myself a casing system, Basically a rolling rack of 4 8"x15"x18" (HxWxD) drawers, 4 drawers, and 2 briefcases (3" less than the drawers so that you can open the lid when its mounted in the case), and made the briefcases able to mount in the rack in place of a drawer (on full extension slides).

Works pretty well, made it as a prototype (re: a few changes if I build more, and use better materials) which have a few heads turned in interest as they are looking for similar w/out spending a half month earnings.

One thing I'm finding more and more of a handy tool, is a USB flash drive (expecially with the new digital consoles) Picked up a retractable USB Titanium 512mB very cheap a while ago (repackaged and with rebates).

• Members

A rack box makes sense for those with truck or trailer packs and have space available.

For a small operator / weekend warrior using a variety of transport (with limited space), I think bags are the way to go. You can cram bags into small, odd shaped holes.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well, I use a workbox that I picked up a while ago, and it works really well. It's not exactly compact though...

It works well, but I find that it doesn't have enough drawers in it, so I'll be building a couple more to go beneath the other 3. I took those pics right after I got it, and since then, it's filled up quite a bit. I sometimes wish that I had a smaller, briefcase sized case for things like adapters and stuff for small shows, but this is ideal in most situations.

WB2.JPG
WB4.JPG
WB6.JPG

FWIW, my boss has an EWI workbox, and it works well too. It's too small, but everything always is. It packs about the same as a rack, so it fits in the truck better than my workbox does.

I would recommend a workbox, such as the EWI model, if your situation warrants it. Otherwise, you might look at one of the briefcases by Anvil or others, or at the briefcases by SKB and Gator.

One sound company in our area has an old 24 space rack with drawers, which works well. Most of their adapters are in a tackle box though, the rack is just for tools, tape, markers, and other stuff like that.

I was just doing a search on Fluke's, and this thread came up. I cant help but noticing you keep several meters of 1" tube webbing and some 'biners in there. I hope that's not what you are clipping to trusses with? Or is it for hanging gear?

• Members

I've used the webbing for pullback for small speakers on a couple of occasions, but never to hold anything up. These days it pretty much only gets used to tie cable at the end of the truss. Also, my boss doesn't seem to believe in tie-line, so the webbing gets used sometimes for stuff you'd normally use tie-line on.

I use the 'biners when I'm dead-hanging something (usually lamp bars) to temporarily tie off the bar so I can get a shackle on the chain. It seems I never have enough hands when I'm up in the air, and it doesn't help that I'm still fairly afraid of heights. I'm getting better though. The reason I have so many in there is simply because I can't think of anywhere better for them. I haven't been climbing in years, so I'm not going to use them for that, but I might as well keep them together.

If you look carefully you'll see that in the picture, the webbing isn't cut. It's still a full 100' long, which I would hope gives the impression that I don't use it that much. It's been cut since then, of course, but so has most of the chain I used to have really long pieces of. I do still carry the webbing though, but it just sits in the rigging box most of the time, except for the 5' pieces that I keep with a few sections of truss for cabling. I probably don't have all 100' anymore, but that's how things go.

Speakers and lights get hung with either chain, wire rope, or spansets, depending on the circumstances, and shackles all around. But thanks for noticing, I always appreciate the criticism....:rolleyes:

Why don't you ask me about the Hubbell adapter that allows me to plug a 20A device into a 15A recepticle? That's probably the most dangerous piece of equipment in there...

FWIW, webbing is completey safe when used correctly and tied properly. This is 2,000lb tubular webbing intended for climbing, so it's the real deal. I'd trust my life to it, when used correctly. I still wouldn't hang speakers or truss on it, obviously, but I'd absolutely go climbing with it. That said, if you don't know how to tie webbing properly, that can turn into a bad situation pretty quickly. But it works great for cable. ;)

• Members

Another good option is a Plano tackle box. Many compartments for organizing, and they are tough as nails. Add to that, they are guaranteed for life. Should anything on it break, including the box itself, you simply call their 800 number and they ship you the replacement immediately at absolutely no charge to you. I've got one I use for tools, and I've flown it around the world many many times. I think I've had it for probably close to 2 decades now, and it's still solid as a rock. It protects well due to the flexability of the material, is lightweight, and was about $40.

• Members

I know the webbing is strong enough, tied correctly, clipped in right bla bla bla. The problem is when you are using it for fall protection. Don't. By the time you have a sling long enough to be workable on a truss, if you fall on it, your back is gone, for at least the rest of the week, if not life.

Nothing really wrong about plugging a twenty amp peice into a 15 amp plug, it will just trip the breaker, will it not?

• Members

Why don't you ask me about the Hubbell adapter that allows me to plug a 20A device into a 15A recepticle? That's probably the most dangerous piece of equipment in there...

Nothing wrong with this... as long as the receptacle is protected by a 15 amp breaker or is a combination 15/20 amp device.

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

I know the webbing is strong enough, tied correctly, clipped in right bla bla bla. The problem is when you are using it for fall protection. Don't. By the time you have a sling long enough to be workable on a truss, if you fall on it, your back is gone, for at least the rest of the week, if not life.

Nothing really wrong about plugging a twenty amp peice into a 15 amp plug, it will just trip the breaker, will it not?

I wouldn't climb on truss without a properly secured lifeline and a fall protection harness. By the time you strap on a $200 harness, it would seem silly to trust the rest to $.30/foot webbing. That said, I don't own a fall protection harness, because I don't need one. We don't walk on our truss, if we need to refocus we either come from underneath or bring it in. We don't have enough cans in the air to make it worthwhile anyway. When I've worked shows where fall protection is necessary, we've always had fall-arrest harnesses clipped to a taught lifeline. That's the way it is.

I said I'd be comfortable climbing with webbing, not using it for fall protection. I've often tied off at the top with webbing, to give me something to attach my rope to. I've made climbing harnesses out or webbing, mostly just as an excercise. They're horribly uncomfortable, but completely safe. I never once said I used webbing for fall protection, but I appreciate your words of caution. I'm afraid of heights enough that I'm not going to use any piece of equipment that's not designed to do what I need it to do.

And yeah, you're right, that Hubbell adapter probably would just pop the breaker, but still, it says right on it not to use the device to draw 20A through a 15A circuit. I just think it's funny, since that's what it's made to do. And if it was a combination 15/20A device, there'd be no need for this adapter either, since it has only a 20A recepticle on it...

Archived