1937 Hammond NovaChord

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Porta-B is tube, not solid-state. Happy owner of one since 1981.

It's been a very long time since I've seen/played one but if I recall correctly, it was like a chopped M-3 (maybe a slightly shorter keuyboard(s)) and I thought it was made in the late 60's and very early 70's. I don't remember if it was all tube or solid state but it may have been a hybrid. It was kind of their last attempt at survival as the organ market was just getting a glimse at the digital possibilities of the future, which is why Suzuki was ultimately interetsted in them and then bought them in the middle-late 70's (?).

A vey cool tone-wheel piece that was pretty successful considering the times.

Roland then came out with the VK-1 (?) which was one of the first successful attemts to recreate the tonewheel sound digitally.

I think a friend of mine still has a few various B's and C's in his shop.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

It's been a very long time since I've seen/played one but if I recall correctly, it was like a chopped M-3 (maybe a slightly shorter keuyboard(s)) and I thought it was made in the late 60's and very early 70's. I don't remember if it was all tube or solid state but it may have been a hybrid. It was kind of their last attempt at survival as the organ market was just getting a glimse at the digital possibilities of the future, which is why Suzuki was ultimately interetsted in them and then bought them in the middle-late 70's (?).

A vey cool tone-wheel piece that was pretty successful considering the times.

Chopped up L-100 actually. The sole transistor is used in the percussion keying circuit. Big omission is lack of scanner vibrato, Porta-B/L-100 was electronic phase shift circuit. But Porta-B had all 91 tonewheels wired in, the only spinet done like this. Mine just happens to sound really good, it screams for R&B and Rawk. Very cool tonewheel organ as long as you're not playing jazz on it.

The tonewheels aren't the only heavy item in a chopped B-3. Those manuals are heavy too, over 100 lbs. And unless you're using a dense multipin for the 91+ wires between the TG and the manuals, you have to have both the TG and manuals in the same case.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Big omission is lack of scanner vibrato, Porta-B/L-100 was electronic phase shift circuit.

Well, yeah - the vibrato scanner was another few pounds of gears and such. :)

But Porta-B had all 91 tonewheels wired in, the only spinet done like this. Mine just happens to sound really good, it screams for R&B and Rawk. Very cool tonewheel organ as long as you're not playing jazz on it.

There are some interesting stories in the various tonewheel schemes used in different models. One of my prized old obscure binders is full of Hammond service manuals, and they did all sorts of interesting things. They even had some "complex" tonewheels with non-sinewave patterns for the bass pedals. And the RT-3 had a monophonic synth for the "pedal solo" unit.

Archived