Which budget passive di box?.

• Members

I play Keyboards more nowadays...in which I always plug it into a passive Carvin di box...which then sends the signal to the main mixer in front.

My Carvin di box was stolen recently after a gig...along with my phono cable. Instead of crying over it (coz I've met musicians who lost even more expensive things than me) i decided I have to buy another passive di box....but want to see whether Carvin is the only choice I have.

I am not in favour of an active di box as it is dearer and dont want the hassle of changing batteries every now and then.

So what should I consider?.

• Members

Originally posted by stunningbabe

ctardi...thanks for your reply. I've never heard of EWI before. The DI box looks rugged and tough though....wonder if they ship to Malaysia here?.

Have you used it before?. how would you rate it against the other brands if the same price range?.

I'm not sure if Mark (Audiopile) Will ship to Malaysia, but I think he will probably say something when he sees this here.

*hint to Mark* *hint to Mark*

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by ctardi

I'm not sure if Mark (Audiopile) Will ship to Malaysia, but I think he will probably say something when he sees this here.

*hint to Mark* *hint to Mark*

Liz and I had a long weekend... big New Year Eve's show in the big city. The show went well... the headliner was great! If anyone here gets a chance to work with Junk Yard Jane, you're in for a treat. That's one of the best band's I think I've ever worked with.

Everything was fine until load-out where-upon the motor that runs the hydraulic pump that drives my lift-gate took a dump on me. I found that if the lift-gate is on the ground at the venue load-out doors, and the hydraulic motor craps out, the day goes from good to very bad very quickly... especially if you're 150 miles from home, on New Years Day. 6 to 8 hours of fumbling around in a pouring rain-storm in 35 degrees... I had the lift-gate back up (resorting to brute strength and creative tool usage)... and headed back home... with an empty truck. My gear's still in a buddy's truck who helped bail my busted ass out.

It's good to be back home... 'cept for the 217 e-mails waiting for us piled up since Friday afternoon. Working shows is always a learning experience. I believe I'm going to add 40ft. mic cables to our inventory. On a ballroom stage 30ft. is just a tad too short for those stage left mics, and 50ft. is just too dang long to be tasteful.

I'm working on fixing the somewhat exotic DC motor from my lift-gate (which might be hopeless)... Liz is flogging away at the e-mail.

Mark from Audiopile surfs in here?. Hey...that'll be cool if Mark can advise me here.

I saw your e-mail in the in-basket. We'll answer it today.

The Whirlwind products recommended are very good for the money if available in your area.

I don't know for-sure, but there's a possibility EWI might have been involved in the construction of your estranged Carvin DI.

The EWI FDB-101 passive DI is a decent economy DI. The case is good. The jacks and switches are cheap, but servicable for general use among us folks that need something that works ok and won't break the bank. The guts are pretty good... the transformer is better than average for the price-point IMO. There are certainly better DI's out there... but generally for more money. There's lesser DI's out there for about the same price or maybe a little less money. IMO, the FDB-101 is a good value and well suited for general use where budget is a strong consideration.

We ship some of the EWI products internationally, but shipping internationally as a importing distributor oftentimes isn't very cost effective. I've put in an e-mail to EWI inquiring if there is a stocking dealer of EWI products in The Philippines (I think that's were you are?)

Yes... I surf here. I seem to remember asking about your handle a few years ago (during a round of posting pictures or avitars). You assured me your handle is applicable.

Well... I gotta go pull the pump assembly off my truck to test my motor repair (resoldered the commentator assembly).

Guest Anonymous

Mark...I didn't get any reply from you.
:(

um... ok. I'll look for your e-mail.

I know Liz has spent about a 1/2 hour with our local post misteress figuring out how to ship to Malaysia and I figured that was in regards to shipping to you, but maybe it's something else.

Guest Anonymous

Say...if I buy 2 units, will there a lower price?.
:D

The price per unit is the same unless the quantity is substantial (like a crate full). I'm sure there will be some savings in shipping two at once as opposed to shipping one at a time times two. We charge the actual shipping cost and no packaging or handling fee.

As per company policy, we don't wheel and deal. Everybody gets the same deal; although, we give some discounts for large quantity purchases of the same item factory packed in cases where we can put a label on a case of mic cables or similar item and ship without repackaging. For those who want to wheel and deal: we routinely put items on eBay with no reserve and a 99 cent opening bid.

Speaking of volume purchases, I have a story: So... it's New Year's Eve day, and I'm out of town and I need some quad box covers. So... I go into this large chain-store super-sized hardware type store... the same franchise chain-store name as what I swore I'd never step in one of their stores again... but it's been a year or more since they pissed me off... and I guess ethics sometimes is a matter of convenience... and it was looking real inconvenient for me to maintain my self imposed ethics of boycotting this chain store... so my ethics were kicked to the curb and in the door I went. Well... I found the bin were the quad box covers are kept... that was easy... just walk to the furthest back corner of the mega-store and that is where the item will be that you're looking for... it doesn't matter what the item is, or what the multi-acre sized mega chain-store is... the item needed will be in the furthest back corner of the store... the maximum walking distance from the entrance. Anyway... I found the bin with the quad box covers, and they're the type I like to use, being the ones with the flange corners, and top and bottom duplex mounting screw holes. 'Cept there's only 2 covers in the bin, and I need a minimum of 4 ea. covers. Ok... no big deal since there's quite a few full boxes of 10 ea. stored right behind the bin. Ok... I could use 10, so I grabbed an unopened box full and went to the check-out counter farm. Yes, of-course there's like 20 check-out counters, and one of them is manned, and there's a line of like 20 baby boomers pushing rail station trams heaped with their starter castle remodeling supplies... so I wait my required 1/2 hour in-line. That's fine... I had fun watching the parade. So... I get to the ex-cheerleader turned check-out lady and she tries to scan the box... to no avail. Finally she looks in the box and sez: "We don't sell these by the case." Um... ok... then dump them out of the box and sell them individually. "I can't do that." Ok, then just sell me 4 of them. "I can't do that. You'll have to go get loose ones." Yea... but there's only 2 in the bin. "Well, that's all we have." So... can't you just sell me 4 out of this case, of just sell me the whole case? "We don't sell partial or complete cases, but maybe I can find a department manager who can break a case for you, or get you a price on a whole case." She summoned a department manager who was able to swing a deal on the whole case. He said he couldn't break the case, but he could let me have the whole case of 10 for $15.80. The individual price was $1.58 ea. Whew... I'm glad he had the authority to make an on-the-spot decision of that caliber, or I'd been faced with only buying 2.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

I'm glad he had the authority to make an on-the-spot decision of that caliber, or I'd been faced with only buying 2.

This is where I take a deep breath, and realize that compared to this guy in front of me, I am a King. :thu:

Then I drop a piano on his head. :D

• Members

So it looks like they've won you back as customer;) .

My local mega-super-sort-of-hardware store-but-don't-ask-any-questions place has a couple of automated check outs, which I always use but about 50% of the time I have to have human intervention to complete the sale.

Archived