Power amp question

• Members

Can a power amp be damaged in such a way that it will still produce output, but all of that output will be clipping/square waves, thus damaging every speaker it touches, so to speak?

I ask because I want to make sure I can blame my {censored}ty old speakers instead of the amp, before I hook new, better speakers up to it.

(long story short, see http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=968558&highlight=MOSFET+2000M ) There was a much longer thread about that amp (The general idea I got, I think, was that it was a decent amp, if a bit old and outdated), but the recent post-count killing purge seems to have wiped it out.

• Members

An unfortunate possibility with any amp, but seemingly more common with MOS-FET technology amp is the occurance of oscillation, an unwanted high frequency signal that can destroy both speakers and power amps in a hurry.

Have a qualified amp tech evaluate your problem to eliminate this possibility.

• Members

Will (in either case) the amp do this when it's not recieving an input signal? ie, if I just plug it in to to the speakers and turn it on, will it damage the speakers? I don't mind wrecking the old ones...

Also, would a limiter/compressor do any good? or is is a frequency thing and not an amplitude thing (in the case of oscillation)

• Members
Originally posted by megadan

Will (in either case) the amp do this when it's not recieving an input signal? ie, if I just plug it in to to the speakers and turn it on, will it damage the speakers? I don't mind wrecking the old ones...

Also, would a limiter/compressor do any good? or is is a frequency thing and not an amplitude thing (in the case of oscillation)

Don't take my word as absolute truth but common sense would tell me that it wouldn't matter if anything was plugged into the inputs on the amp and therefore it wouldn't matter if there was a comp/limiter in front of the amp. The problem seems to be inside the amp,therefore,beyond the amp's inputs. But I don't really have any knowledge,that's just what my common sense tells me. but take the words of the knowledgeable ones here over mine on this.

• Members

Another question, hopefully not to derail this thread too much-But, if I have a clipped signal several units before the power amp, does it still have the ability to fry a speaker? In other words, if I clip the signal at the board, but the EQ and Comp (or anything else) is at unity gain, will it still fry the speaker?

My guess is that it still will since the square wave is still hitting the amp regardless of input gain???

Thanks for your patience!!!

Johnny

• Members
Originally posted by JohnnyGraphic

Another question, hopefully not to derail this thread too much-But, if I have a clipped signal several units before the power amp, does it still have the ability to fry a speaker? In other words, if I clip the signal at the board, but the EQ and Comp (or anything else) is at unity gain, will it still fry the speaker?

My guess is that it still will since the square wave is still hitting the amp regardless of input gain???

Johnny

I think you have been fed somewhat of an old wive's tale.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I think you been fed somewhat of an old wive's tail.

Not quite.

A cliped signal is a clipped signal, reguardless of where in the signal path it is created. An amplifier reproduces what you feed it, only at a higher level. If you feed it a clipped signal, it'll output a clipped signal.

• Members

One of my first bad experiences in that respect was an amp going dc while practicing. I instantly plugged into another speaker to see if the amp was still working and lost that as well. You plug in the speaker and it sounds like a bit of a hum / buzz backgroundy noise.... that's your voice coil frying!

:(

• Members
Originally posted by bigmike216

Not quite.

A cliped signal is a clipped signal, reguardless of where in the signal path it is created. An amplifier reproduces what you feed it, only at a higher level. If you feed it a clipped signal, it'll output a clipped signal.

Yes,obviously. However,speakers can usually handle a clipped signal if it isn't above their capability. It has been perpetuated that a clipped signal is a guaranty that you are going to fry VC's.

• Members

Johnny

Absolutely correct... except as it's been pointed out, total power level of the pre-clipped signal does matter.

The speaker's thermal rating must be "de-rated" appropriately in order to account for the additional heat in the squared off signal. On many drive units, mechanical issues may also come into play.

With a conservatively (or accurately) rated driver, a 50% derating is customary. This IS in fact considered when calculating power ratings of electric guitar speakers that are used with distorted signals.

For high frequency driversm another phenomona comes into play, the clipped signal contains a higher % of HF information due to harmonics. Additional derating is necessary... say ANOTHER 50% or so.

• Members

semi-related to this supposed wives tale is my pondering of, 'why don't all good PA's use all tube power amps?' - if indeed clipping causes speaker destruction, and since tube cliping doesn't seem to kill speakers, then it seems like a logical idea.

The answer to my own question, is, of course, the massive size, weight, heat, cost, and reliability of all tube power amps (24, 36 6L6's! :eek: )

I will however attempt to sacrific one speaker and listen for the VC's frying :D

• Members

Originally posted by moody

One of my first bad experiences in that respect was an amp going dc while practicing. I instantly plugged into another speaker to see if the amp was still working and lost that as well. You plug in the speaker and it sounds like a bit of a hum / buzz backgroundy noise.... that's your voice coil frying!

:(

The buzz/hum you hear is the sound of the power supply ripple in absense of any audio, at higher than designed power supply currents. It's not a pretty sound, and it's often followed by silence and a nasty smell.

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

The buzz/hum you hear is the sound of the power supply ripple in absense of any audio, at higher than designed power supply currents. It's not a pretty sound, and it's often followed by silence and a nasty smell.

But no smoke? What a letdown.:cry:

• Members

On a related note, is it possible that 1 channel of a stereo power amp could be damaged, but not the other?

In a more general sense, is a stereo power amp really two whole amps in one (this one sure feels like!), or do they share parts? Stupid question, I know, but I gotta learn sometime :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Absolutely correct... except as it's been pointed out, total power level of the pre-clipped signal does matter.

The speaker's thermal rating must be "de-rated" appropriately in order to account for the additional heat in the squared off signal. On many drive units, mechanical issues may also come into play.

With a conservatively (or accurately) rated driver, a 50% derating is customary. This IS in fact considered when calculating power ratings of electric guitar speakers that are used with distorted signals.

For high frequency driversm another phenomona comes into play, the clipped signal contains a higher % of HF information due to harmonics. Additional derating is necessary... say ANOTHER 50% or so.

So, the answer is 'yes-sort of...'.

Just when I think I've got some stuff figured out, you come along & make me know what little I know! Hahaha. Did I ever tell you that you make me sick with how much you know about this thing I think of as a hobby? :D

Your patience in putting up with newbies like myself is amazing.

Thank you!

Johnny

• Members

Did I ever tell you that you make me sick with how much you know about this thing I think of as a hobby?
:D

Naaaw! He's making it ALL up! ;)

It's not clipping itself that does the damage ... it's the extra power that comes along when this happens.

• Members

Some folks work hard to make this a hobby for others. I sat downand played piano tonight for the first time in months. I am so immersed in music that I have no real desire to play music. When you work with really top notch players, it is discouraging to play at the level I play at, but with the engineering side of things it's no hobby and I can work with the best at their level.

For example, because of the music turning from hobby into a real job, I have carefully avoided doing the same thing with my hobby which is horses. I do work with high level folks in that area too, but intentionally keep my involvement and commitment at a less demanding level or it will stop being fun.

Archived