Using a Microtrack: how to reduce level

• Members

I have the M-Audio Microtrack device, which I bought for recording band practice. This is to replace a dead MD recorder.

I have a decent stereo mic, at least the MD unit made great recordings with it. The problem I'm having is that the Microtrack doesn't reduce the input level enough: a band with drums is too loud for it, I get the red peak lights all the time, and the sound is distorted.

I'm willing to try a mic preamp, but I'm having trouble figuring out which one would be good enough without spending a lot of $$. All I need is something to reduce the level going in.

Second option is to add another mic to capture the guitars, and get the right pieces to come off the mixer's output. But it's not clear if that would be too loud as well.

Appreciate any information in advance.

• Members

the 1/8" input is not affected by the input level controls, and is designed specifically for use with stereo electret microphone included with the unit. Plug your mic into the 1/4" TRS mic input (using an 1/8"-1/4" TRS adapter if necessary) and switch the input to mic, adjust gain accordingly.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

the 1/8" input is not affected by the input level controls, and is designed specifically for use with stereo electret microphone included with the unit. Plug your mic into the 1/4" TRS mic input (using an 1/8"-1/4" TRS adapter if necessary) and switch the input to mic, adjust gain accordingly.

If this is how it works (seems like an odd feature not to be able to adjust input sensitivity of an input) than this is a good solution.

• Members

I thought the 1/4" line inputs had to be XLR-type inputs. Anyway I tried connecting my stereo mic, which is probably a better version than the supplied mic, to a 1/8 - 1/4 plug. No sound whatsoever. Tried the L and M settings.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Do I switch to a regular vocal mic and try that??

Thanks again.

• Members

Read the specs for the unit.

The unit has 2 TRS balanced mic/line inputs.

Feed it a balanced signal from your mics, one mic to each input, wired as follows:

XLR pin 1 to TRS Sleeve

XLR pin 2 to TRS Tip

XLR pin 3 to TRS Ring

If you have a stereo mic that is a single TRS, you need to split it into two mono TS signals as follows:

TRS Sleeve-TS sleeve (both connectors)

TRS Ring-TS tip (right input only)

TRS Tip-TS tip (left input only)

Make sure you have the inputs set to mic, and if necessary phantom power on. Note you cannot drive phantom power if you are splitting a stereo mic that terminates on a single TRS connection.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

This is an old thread, but this person was probably only looking for something like this:

http://www.minidisco.com/ATT-10

A 10db attenuator for 1/8" which lets the trickle power through letting you use the provided 1/8" mic with somewhat louder sources. Portable recording isn't simple/easy any more when you're bringing alternate mics and the bizarre array of adapters needed to get sound into the 1/4' TRS.

I've had the same problem, but my concerts are so loud that I don't think 10db is enough, so I never got the attenuator. Sorry for the blind recommendation, but that's still 10db more headroom. This might help people who's sources only occasionally peak the input now. The LOW/MED/HIGH hardware switch does affect the 1/8" mic. But the software levels seem to only affect the 1/4" inputs.

Archived