Multiple mix w/ Shure in ear monitors

• Members

I'm in a 4 piece rock band playing 1000-4000 seat theaters. The band is considering the Shure PSM 600 wireles monitor system. My understanding is that you can get multiple mixes with one transmitter and 4 belt pack receivers. Is this so? Whether we use 4 different mixes or just 1 mix for the entire band, is there any downside to sharing one transmitter? Would we be better off with 4 separate transmitters? Why?

Thanks~

• Members

i think you are confusing transmitters and receivers. everyone has there own reciever which they wear on there belt and has earbuds. you have a choice of whether or not to source all 4 recievers from one mix from one transmitter, or what most people do is have seperate mixes with seperate transmitters. if your playing for alot of people its probablly a better idea to have customized mixes for each of your players, and probablly an even better plan to have a seperate monitor mixing rig so you can fine tune your individual settings and leave them that way.

i think one of the major factors is budget though, what are we talking?

• Members

Whether we use 4 different mixes or just 1 mix for the entire band, is there any downside to sharing one transmitter? Would we be better off with 4 separate transmitters?

You can't have more than one mix with only one transmitter. In order for each musician to have their own mix (highly recommended) you need 4 transmitters and 4 receivers fed by 4 separate mixes.

• Members

still no budget though? with the 600 series you could probablly do 1 transmitter and 4 receivers for 3000, you should probablly buy an extra reciever for backup though. individual sets will run around 4.5K, a full blown monitor rig with a splitter, mixer, rack will run about 6K. think about upgrading ear buds on any of those choices.

the advantage to having individual mixers is that each of you can get what you really want to hear on stage. the bassist probablly doesn't want an extreme amount of vocals in his monitors but wants pronounced bass and drums. the vocalist wants a whole bunch of himself in the mix but less of everything else. it's alot harder, actually almost impossible to make everyone happy with one mix. another choice is to use a mix of iems and wedges.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

You can't have more than one mix with only one transmitter. In order for each musician to have their own mix (highly recommended) you need 4 transmitters and 4 receivers fed by 4 separate mixes.

Actually, with the PSM600 which has MixMode, you can get 2 different mixes from one transmitter and 2 receivers. Set one mix for Left and the other mix Right (Aux 1 & Aux2). Set your transmitter on "Stereo/MixMode". Set your beltpacks to "MixMode" using the dip switches located inside the battery compartment. Pan the MixMode dial on the outside of the beltpack hard Left for Aux 1 and hard Right for Aux 2. Using MixMode, you will get either mix in both ears, not just in the left or right earbud.

If you check out eBay, PSM600 systems are going for about $600-700. Just make sure you know which frequency you're bidding on. Or, check out Northern Sound for excellent pricing on new.

Hope this helps!

Johnny

• Members

Originally posted by pcolch

why is the frequency important? Do I just need to be sure that the transmitter and receiver frequency are the same or is there something more to lookout for with frequencies?

The transmitter sends out the mix at a specific frequency. The receiver gets the mix at that same frequency. You can't mix and match transmitters/receivers on different frequencies. It is similar to a radio. Your radio has to 'tune in' on the specific frequency that the station is transmitting on.

For the PSM 600 series, the frequencies are listed as a letter code. "HA, HB, HC" etc. So, when you're shopping, make sure you have a matched set of receivers to transmitters.

HOWEVER, you CANNOT have more than one transmitter on the same frequency!

Hope this helps!

Johnny

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Incorrect.

If I'm not mistaken, the PSM 600s operate in stereo or MixMode just as the PSM400 systems (that I use) do.

Therefore, you can use each transmitter to send two mono mixes or one "more me" mix where the performer can mix one selected vocal or instrument up or down using their own belt pack.

Terry D.

Archived