DBX 166XL vs 1066 vs 1046

• Members

I have narrowed my choices of compressor/limters/gates down to these three. Basically, I am in the market for at least 4 channels of compressor/limiter/gate and I am looking for the best combo of quality and value (of course!). Before i open my wallet I'd like a few educated opinions on my optios...

The 166XL and the 1066 are very similar save the monitoring options...is there a noticeable quality difference between these two units? Likewise for the 1046?

My other option is to pick up a 1046 and a 1074 wich I believe will be a little more versatile. Besides the rack space, would these be a better option over the cobo of the 166xl/1066's two channels?

2 X 166XL?

or

2 X 1066?

or

1046 + 1074?

Thanks everyone.

• Members

In the end, I am shooting for four channels of gate and four channels of compression/limiting. For now I can get by with a combo of 4 channels but I will want a total of 8 in the end.

I will be using them (live) for drums (gates and comp) and vocals (comp/lim).

• Members

gruvjack...

Originally posted by Strange

I will be using them (live) for drums (gates and comp) and vocals (comp/lim).

Of course this isn't set in stone by any means and will depend on what instruments i will have in the mix. If I only have one vocalist i'll throw a comp on a bass or kick. My purchase will be strictly for my live rack. I'd rather not bring any of my recrding gear to clubs and venues I work at. ;)

Originally posted by bigmike216

what about a presonus acp88?

I had considered the 88 but I've read quite a few mixed reviews...some praising and some citing concerns in regards to anything from a cramped 8 channels to a gate that has the tendency to be heard when in operation. I haven't found any complaints about the DBX units. All I have read on this DBX series has been positive and their price ranges are more than reasonable.

• Members

If you need serious gating, I'd think dedicated gate. I never cared for any of the DBX gates. While I do like the old blackface 166's for kick's, the newer stuff doesn't gate well. I much prefer Drawmer or BSS for gating.

However, I love the sound of the 1046 and 1066 compression. I actually use both live regularly for everything from vocals to acoustic guitars, kicks, snares, overheads, horns, etc., and it sounds fantastic. I am a particular fan of the 1046. While simplistic (as is the 160X and 160XT) they sound amazing, and have sweet peak limiters.

Archived