Sonic PA cabs.....anyone???

• Members

In my never ending quest to someday *BUY* a PA system I am exploring as many options as I can.

Does anyone have any experiance with Sonic cabs? I sometimes see localy a few people using some subs (18e & 18W) but I have never heard or scene any tops. The cabs I was looking at where:

T212FR2

t212fr-2.gif

http://www.sonicspeaker.com/t212fr-2.htm

T118

t118sub.gif

http://www.sonicspeaker.com/t118sub.htm

or possibly this sub

118 Scoop

118scoop.gif

http://www.sonicspeaker.com/118scoop.htm

I am not sure which sub would work best with that top cab, I do like the dual 12's in the T212FR2 with the 2" horn

Any thoughts or general bashing is appreciated!

• Members

I'd stay away from the old style scoop cab. I've been around the old 18W for many years. Its decent but not nearly as punchy,especially up close,as the 18e. I have 8 of them. And the TR212 is a great budget top cab for those who aren't quite on an SR-X budget.

• Members

Thanks TLBH

I just always liked the looks of the scoops but they are a bit heavy to drag around.

On there web site (which has not been updated spec wise since 02) they show some of these cabs can be loaded with RCF drivers, does anyone know if thats still true?

• Members
Originally posted by Vinny D

Thanks TLBH

I just always liked the looks of the scoops but they are a bit heavy to drag around.

On there web site (which has not been updated spec wise since 02) they show some of these cabs can be loaded with RCF drivers, does anyone know if thats still true?

I'm sure there's a driver upgrade available. They've always kind of had that option. Last I heard RCF was a main upgrade brand. And some are available minus the driver or woofer. I bought all my 18e's empty for $347 each. $100 less than with the stock woofer. The 18e's are very easy to move around for their size.

• Members

My old band had a pair of the T212 tops along with matching 2x15 bottoms. They're a decent sounding speaker for not much money, although I wasn't quite as happy with the subs as I was with the tops. They sure looked cool stacked up though!

It seems like 80% of the bands in Wisconsin have Sonic speakers in their rigs somewhere. They still make some of the crossovers in my hometown, and Sonic is based out of Cudahay.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

My old band had a pair of the T212 tops along with matching 2x15 bottoms. They're a decent sounding speaker for not much money, although I wasn't quite as happy with the subs as I was with the tops. They sure looked cool stacked up though!

It seems like 80% of the bands in Wisconsin have Sonic speakers in their rigs somewhere. They still make some of the crossovers in my hometown, and Sonic is based out of Cudahay.

Ya Hey! Lots of sonics around here! (S.E. Wisconsin). I have a pair of 15" tops with 4"x10" horns for a practice PA. Had them for about 10 years and the woofers finnaly blew. We pounded the hell out of them though. I got replacement speakers from Parts Express on line at great prices. They aren't great speakers but the'll do the job.

• Members

I was able too find a dealer that could give me some info and the cabs I am looking at and they are available with the RCF drivers (T212FR-2, T118) for a bit of a price increase but I think probably worth it in the long run. I just wish I could actually hear these things because the pricing seems reasonable.

• Members
Originally posted by Never_Grew_Up

I'd second the idea of staying away from the scoops. You get no increased power handling, only 7hz lower range (40 vs. 47), but you add 50 lbs & the scoops take up a lot more space.

What about their Metrosub? I couldn't tell from the website if the 212 has a pole mount or not.

But you don't need higher power handling capacity if the same amount of power gets you a lot more acoustical output,which the 18e certainly will. Great sub for the price.

• Members

I was able too find a dealer that could give me some info and the cabs I am looking at and they are available with the RCF drivers (T212FR-2, T118) for a bit of a price increase but I think probably worth it in the long run. I just wish I could actually hear these things because the pricing seems reasonable.

Our band opened for Head East a few years ago at a small outdoor thing And they used only four of the 18e's/side and three of the FR212tr's/side(with the 2" exit mids)and they sounded really good for such a limited setup.

• Members

The price on the T212FR-2 with the RCF drivers was $1,000.00, I am not sure if it wouldn't just be worth the wait to save up the extra cash for the JBL SRX 722.

That seems very high. I've seen them in the 1" exit w/standard drivers for $399. I can't see there being a $600 difference.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

That seems very high. I've seen them in the 1" exit w/standard drivers for $399. I can't see there being a $600 difference.

The standard drivers with the 2" horn was $700.00 I should also mention that the price includes $150.00 shipping charge.

Archived