How do I use "Inserts" as direct outs?

• Members

So I was sitting here thinking I had to go out and buy a splitter snake... I want to be able to mix down my own in ear mix.. and I have a 12 channel mixer to do this...

Can I somehow use the inserts on our yamaha mixer as outputs and go into my mixer???

If so.. HOW???!!!!

Will the gain settings of the main mixer effect my mixer?? Will my gain settings and board adjustments effect the main mix???

THanks!!!

I searched and couldn't find answers to these topics..

--Drummer_jay

• Members

Some mixers allow you to plug an unbalanced 1/4 TS half way in (called half jacking) and use the channel inserts as a direct out (if the ring of the RTS jack is the send then this will probably work fine). Other mixers use the tip of the RTS jack as the send (there really isn't a standard) and if this is the case it can still be done but you must do the following:

You need to make a wire loom (or a bunch of seperates if you want a mess) 1/4 TRS on one end but you need to short the tip to ring connection then take that tip and the sleave and send it as an UNBALANCED connection to your other mixer (I emphasized UNBALANCED because this may not work well in a magneticly noisy environment and you should not make this loom too long (I'd say no longer than 20' or so).

Yes the input gain/pad controles will effect your mix.

No what you do with your personal mixer won't effect the first mixer other than possible ground loops (I'd recomend powering both mixers from the same source) since you don't have the option of ground lifting with this unbalanced circuit.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

Radio Shack stereo-to-mono 1/4" adapters, plugged all the way in, will do the job.

Woah Coyote-1 You just described what to do in one sentence and it took me two paragraphs. A stereo to mono adapter's a great idea (I'd have spent several hours with a soldering iron making something you can buy at Radio Shack). I'M IMPRESSED

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Sorry to revive an old thread, and for being a n00b, but does the radioshack solution work? I want to record 16 channels out of an older yamaha mx200 using the I/O. They'll be going into two firepods. It's either this or running parallel splitters for each mic send, but I'm really not wanting to see what kinds of problems could arise using that method. I cannot afford a splitter snake haha... Thanks

-Mark

Edit: This is for a concert, so I posted it here instead of in the recording forum.

• Members

I believe that a stereo to mono adapter will connect the ring to the sleeve when used. This will give you no signal to either mixer. The cables that JRBLE specified are what you need.

I think you are correct.

When the TIP is the send and the RING is the return, you need to short the TIP and the RING together.. plugging a mono jack all the way in will short the ring and the sleeve, as you said, causing NO signal.

• Members

Stereo to mono adapter connects Tip to Ring... sleeve passes straight through. If you have some wired the other way, they are a TRS balanced to TS unbalanced adapter with a defined ring connection.

So you plug the TRS jack all the way into the insert jack.. right? Not the mono end..which would short return to ground.

• CMS Author

Sorry to revive an old thread, and for being a n00b, but does the radioshack solution work? I want to record 16 channels out of an older yamaha mx200 using the I/O. They'll be going into two firepods. It's either this or running parallel splitters for each mic send, but I'm really not wanting to see what kinds of problems could arise using that method. I cannot afford a splitter snake haha... Thanks

-Mark

Edit: This is for a concert, so I posted it here instead of in the recording forum.

Yes, it should work, but the signal will be unbalanced, so keep the cable as short as possible.

• Members

The Yamaha MG mixers don't work with the half-in method. Radio Shack stereo-to-mono 1/4" adapters, plugged all the way in, will do the job.

The Yamaha MG's do work in this method, I used it a few days ago to get a "me only" monitor mix.

The thing about splitters are that this method is terrible for splitting to 2 boards. Yes it may work to put a signal into another channel on the same board but it is a poor solution for splitting between two separate consoles. Use a proper splitter snake and bring ground lift adaptors if the box end doesn't have them.

p

Archived