Earphones for Aviom Personal Monitor

• Members

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I looking for people's input on the best in-ear earphones to be used with an in-ear monitor system. I'm using an Aviom System. Looking for earbuds or those that insert in the ear canal.

Has anyone had experirence with earphones with earpieces custom-made by an audiologist?

There are a lot of products out there. It seems like a craps shoot. Any input would be *very* welcome!

• Members

We have the Aviom system at my church and I use my Shure E-5s with good results. Some of our guys use an open ear headphone but I find the external sound covers up what I'm trying to get from the Aviom. The trick to the system is to make sure the input sensitivity is set correctly so that you have the balanced headroom you need and are not having to turn some inputs way down while having to turn others all the way up.

• Members

Thanks for the input! I am also using the Aviom system in a church setting. Have you known anyone who owned the E4 or E3's? Of course, I'm trying to save some dough if I can. I've heard bad things about the E2's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Bottom line is you gotta like what the bud sounds like. I once let a touring drummer borrow my E5s for a show, he had been using E3s. After the show I thought I was gonna have to pry them out of his hands...nope he said he liked his 3's better.

E2 is a dynamis driver, like an ipod earphone.

E3 and E4 is a balanced armature driver, 4's have a tuned port to add more low end resonance. E5 is a dual driver balanced armature. Molds can be made for all but E2s based on the shape of the product. Molds will enhance the bass response by utilizing the acoustics of your ear canal. Also provides a secure fit, no bleed in and a consistent fit.

Shure has just released an E500 which is 2 low end balanced arm drivers and a mid to high end balanced arm driver...but you can press a push to talk button and hear around you. Its a universal fit but I think its pretty cool.

• Members

Originally posted by dazein

I think I might be going with the E3's, for the sake of price. There is a great store in PA Called
Northern Sound & Light
where I found all of these earbuds for great prices compared to anyone else. I highly recommend them.

Thanks again for the help!

Yep, NSL has great prices on the E3's. It's where I got mine. I recommend NOT running them tnrough the washing machine like I did mine :cry: They still work, but one side distorts at higher SPL's.

Archived