McCauley AC10-1's?

• Members

Ahoy,

I was planning on simplifying our settup and just running our four vocals and air organ through the PA I'm planning on purchasing but after lots of research I think it makes more sense to go to a higher level system that will sound clear miking everything:

4 vocals

air organ

acoustic 12 string

electric guitar/mandolin

upright/electric bass

kick

glockenspiel?

I was going to get a pair of Mpro 415's before I decided to go to the next level, but I just stumbled upon some McCauley's and I don't think the seller knows what they are worth.

He is selling MEP313-8164 (also known as 1.108-64) (they have an 8" woofer and a tweeter for around $150 each. He has 9 of them.

He also has a pair of AC10-1's (10" woofer and 1" tweeter) and asked me to make an offer. Do you know how much they are worth and if they would be suitable for my needs?

I would get a sub in addition to the mains. The prospect of being able to get some McCauley's is exciting but perhaps the name is getting the best of me...

Thanks.

• Members

What about the MP-412's? It's an excellent box with a warranty!!!

McCauley has made many excellent products over the years, and some larger more clunky heavy ones as well.

You have to decide for yourself if the size/weight and performance s adequate for your needs.

• Members

Last night I went to a venue that had Meyer Sound mains and they (obviously) sounded worlds better than anything I had heard in the ball park of the mp's. I was under the impression McCauley was a similar caliber to Meyer, and if I can get this guy to sell something of that level in my price range it seems like a good idea. But again, I think I am getting caught up in the name. Do you know how much they are worth? Will moving down to 10's or a pair of 8's per side be be sacrificing comparied to the JBL's 12's?

• Members

You cant go wrong with Mccauley. Their 10" fellas whack a realy punch at 300W RMS. That's right! Absolutely delightful highs, rich mids and very controlled lows. I'd say it's one of the finest 10" loudspeakers ever produced in the world.

Go for it. Forget the other brands. Just coz it's a 10" doesn't mean its not as good as other bigger 12".

• CMS Author

Can you afford to repair the McCauley's should something be, or go, wrong with them?

Another person posted here not so long ago about getting a killer deal on some Meyer's. His bubble was burst rudely when he discovered why they were cheap, and what it cost to repair them to original spec.

I see great deals on 55' motor yachts all the time. In fact, I can probably dig up one free for the taking. Doesn't mean I can actually afford the cost of ownership.

Just something to consider.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Can you afford to repair the McCauley's should something be, or go, wrong with them?

Another person posted here not so long ago about getting a killer deal on some Meyer's. His bubble was burst rudely when he discovered why they were cheap, and what it cost to repair them to original spec.

I see great deals on 55' motor yachts all the time. In fact, I can probably dig up one free for the taking. Doesn't mean I can actually afford the cost of ownership.

Just something to consider.

Good point, but aren't Meyer's usually powered, and the potential costs of getting a really fancy powered speaker up to spec is far higher... I guess repairing a pair of McCauleys can still be thru the roof. Nevertheless, I think I want to take the risk and make him an offer in my price range. Do you know what they are worth?

How would a pair of 8"s per side compare to one 10" or 12" per side? The 8"s are in the price range for 4 of them. Honestly, I think 8 are in the budget. How would I settup a pair (or a quadruplet) of speakers per side without mounting them?

• Members

The Meyer box in question was unpowered.

Be sure you try out whatever box you think you want in YOUR application to be sure it's suitable.

I would have no problem using an MP-412 in place of the McCauley 10" box myself. Both are good boxes, as is the Meyer UPA's.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Have you tried the box yet? Do you know they are original drivers and work correctly?

I haven't tried them. The seller says they were purchased new in '05, never been repaired, perform flawlessly.

I just talked to the guys at McCauley and they said they will still be under warranty.

• 8 years later...

Archived