Songs for testing speaker cabs

• Members

Everyone's got their preference when it comes t listening material. Usually they'll pop it in and listen to a song they know well and tweak the eq to their liking or just use it to listen to the room and see what the acoustics are like.

• Members

Yeah, this thread is a good idea.

Obviously, you can test speakers through music or through running a mic to them via mixer. I guess it depends on what you want to do and what is important to you. As far as music is concerned There is a CD I recently discovered with "Test" written on it that we have and song #2 is like this Reggae song with drivin' bass guitar and good tight drum kick -also has smooth unoverbearing vocals.... though we do have plenty of that available for testing. We also use the Gorrilaz sometimes -Feel Good Inc. has a pretty wide spectrum and great production -but it often depends on the needs of the customer... Tower of Power is another one I like to use too. Lots of bass and horns.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by lucho_84

Everyone's got their preference when it comes t listening material. Usually they'll pop it in and listen to a song they know well and tweak the eq to their liking or just use it to listen to the room and see what the acoustics are like.

I'm sure you're right; however, I'm wonder if there are songs that are really good for testing the overall sound of a PA...highs...lows...mids...dynamics.

What are some of your favorites?

• Members

Alan Jackson's Chatahoochee or almost any Alan Jackson songs are good to try to impress someone with how loud and good sounding your system is. His stuff is usually very well recorded/balanced in low mid and high frequencies and can get loud without stressing your amp or speakers. Shania Twain also has awesome sounding recordings. Celine Dion's Because you loved me is a good, well balanced sound check song. And you will usually not get complaints if you do a sound check with this song as opposed to something like AC/DC. THUNDER! :D Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Typically I run sweep tones and using a spectrum analyer set crossover, amps and then finally eq to get the system reasonably flat. After this I'll run whatever I'm currently working on in the studio usually, as I'm most familiar with that, or something commercial I like. Lately I've been using Tim McGraw's "That's why God made Mexico".

Guest Anonymous

I hope the fad of using that live Hotel Calif / Eagles CD dies soon... which admittedly is a pretty good test/demo CD.

Personally... I never go to a sound gig without my Dread Zeppelin CD.

• Members

My personal soundcheck CD contains:

Tom Petty "Jamming Me" is a full balanced mix that tells me a lot about a speaker cabinet in less than a minute.

Bryan Adams "Somebody" is popular for soundcheck but its 80s reverb-drenched mix will sound muddy with the wrong speakers or with poor acoustics.

Boston "Smokin'" for checking clarity of vocals against strong guitar.

The Cars "Drive" for checking clarity of vocals against keyboards and strong drums.

Rush "Tom Sawyer" for checking clarity of drums/cymbals and punch of the subsonics.

Dire Straits "Calling Elvis" for checking how well Mark Knopfler's sensitive but low intensity voice carries.

Peter Gabriel "Red Rain" is another vocal test.

Yes "Leave It" very full 80s reverb-drenched vocal test.

Donald Fagen "New Frontiers" another popular soundcheck song, lots of subtle parts to listen for as well as a full balanced mix. Also the bass guitar can get lost with the wrong speaker cabinet.

Kevin Gilbert "Goodness Gracious" can be an interesting acid test - there is stuff in there that the wrong speaker can mask out.

This is from memory so I know I'm missing a couple, but you get the idea.

Some speakers are terrible at dispersion - walk around the room, move your ears higher/lower and the difference in sound will shock you.

• Members
Originally posted by ezstep

I set it with Flim and the BB's, followed by Bela Fleck followed by something more contemporary (Sara Evans, Martina McBride, Diamond Rio, etc.).

Flim & the BB's Tricycle is one of my favorites. Also David Grusin.

• Members

definitley this song from an epcot center fireworks show in disney world, "IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth". tons of orchestral instrumentals as well as enhanced bass and synth stuff. goes all over the place in terms of dynamics and frequencies. plus no one is ever offended.

• Members

Originally posted by basspipe

Used to install permanent set ups in clubs and the first test song was always Michael Jacksons Billy Jean. As corny as that sounds it covers the full spectrum and sounds good turned up!

I really don`t like the sound of Billy Jean except for the bass line you can really feel when you have a subwoofer in your system. Highs are way too present (one of the only songs I automatically reduce highs -3 or -6DB) and almost no mids.... Not to mention it scares some of the children :D Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ services

• Members

No Doubt has some fantastic sounding recordings. Hella Good is probably my favorite. Try it on a good sounding system, it`s awesome! (From an original CD of course - not a low bit download) For vocal, Trisha Yearwood`s How do I live is excellent. This love by Maroon 5 has a well recorded and very present kick drum. For subwoofers, a great song is Madonna`s ''Music''. Only mids and highs for the first 30 seconds, then as she says Hey Mr. DJ.. the beat kicks in. Your subwoofer is now in the mix... Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

If you want to see how low frequency reproduction robs your system of power, play Pon da replay by Rhianna and see how loud you can get before clipping. (this will give your woofers quite the workout) If you want to impress a few teenagers with how loud your smaller PA is, play Tubthumping by Chumbawamba. ''I get knocked down, but I get up again''.... Fun song! Lots of mid frequencies = LOUD.... Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Rush "Tom Sawyer" for checking clarity of drums/cymbals and punch of the subsonics.

Donald Fagen "New Frontiers" another popular soundcheck song, lots of subtle parts to listen for as well as a full balanced mix. Also the bass guitar can get lost with the wrong speaker cabinet.

Excellent suggestions. "Tom Sawyer" will also see how much reserve power the subs amps have - the double bass drum roll in the breakdown portion produces interesting artifacts when the subs are underpowered.

Fagen's Nightfly is simply one of those benchmark recordings that is excruciatingly clear - the hi-hat cymbals and most of the bass is a challenge for any system, any size. "Walk Between Raindrops" is another useful track.

• Members

Originally posted by John S. Shinal

Excellent suggestions. "Tom Sawyer" will also see how much reserve power the subs amps have - the double bass drum roll in the breakdown portion produces interesting artifacts when the subs are underpowered.

What exactly do you mean about the subs being underpowered? How does that create artifacts? What artifacts does it produce?

Archived