HELP All I got was a mixwiz16:3

• Members

I quit my last band & started a new one the only pa gear I got was the mix wiz .I have a gig at the end of the month I got $3000 to buy mains a sub & amps with

Iwas thinking of buying the following gear

2- yamaha C115V for mains $336 x2 =$ 677

2-yamaha CM115V for moninters $356 x2= $ 712

1-yamaha CW218 subwofer 1=$ 646

3- crown XLS 602 power amps $349 x3 =$1047

Total $3082

What do you think ? I figured I could always add another set of tops for $677 & add another sub for $646 for a total $1323 more when I need more coverage. anyone useing these cabs ?are these cabs ok or do they suck? supposedly they have emenance drivers in them. I know I'll need cables & a crossover still anyone got any better ideas? Im open to listening. From now on Im goin to own the PA period!!!! Still stinging from this breakup.!!!!

• Members

no complaints about gettting the A&H board happy to have it!!!!...... but a board by its self doesnt make much sound I only got $3k to spend on amps mains & mon & subs I am pulling my hair out trying to put a decent pa together on that tight of a budget. any sugestions would be great!!!! ps I have a furman power cond & 2 peavey QF 31 eqs

• Members

I have been underwhelmed by the Yamaha subs on more than one occasion. For the about the price of the sub and one of the amps, you could get a Yorkville LS800P which will provide loads more thump.

• Members

Ditto on the subs. Ditch the Yamaha subs, and get one Yorkville LS800P for about $1K. No power amp needed, and lots more thump.

I'd also reccommend the Yamaha SM12V for monitors. I love the 4 I have, and you can get them for under $300 each. The last pair I got for $269 with free shipping from www.humbuckermusic.com. Don't go by the price listed under the speaker section. Go to the "Unbelievable" tab. They are still listed there. Call them and get a price. I called one day, and had the speakers at my door the next day.

I'd probably also point you toward the Yorkville NX55P for mains. Again, self-powered, and sound great. They wouldn't be THAT much more $$$ than the Yammies+power amps. They weigh under 50lbs each also. Another option would be the JBL M-Pro 412 if you don't want self-powered. Good sounding box.

You'll probably hear the same advice from several others, but I'm extremely happy with my setup, which is very close to what I've mentioned above.

• Members

1 - It looks like you are "in the sticks", but since you're not dead set on a certain setup or brand, see if there is any kind of used market for any of these items (or take stroll through ebay). You'll get more for your money and if it doesn't work out or you want to upgrade later you will likely lose only the shipping. If you got "deals" you may even make a few bucks if you sell later. The more time you have, coupled with the desire to look under rocks for "deals", the better system you'll get for your $3K.

2 - Get the best you can afford. If you have to prioritize, spend more on your FOH and skimp a bit on the monitors. IMO, the priority would be:

a) main speakers - this is where the rubber meets the road

b) power amp(s) - (FOH amps anyway) if your amp "poofs" it doesn't matter how good your speakers sound.

c) subs - sure, some subs are better than others, but if you can't get what you really want, either buy 1, wait, or get something used that you can sell later for what you paid.

d) monitor speakers - you want to sound good to yourself, but the level of system you're putting together (2 monitors) I'm guessing this is just a single vocal mix with the back line amps and acoustic drums carrying the instrument monitoring. Again, another good place to go used if the opportunity presents itself.

Incidentally I run Yorkville LS700P's and NX550P's. Used, the subs were $1000 for the pair (inc shipping) and the mains were about $830 shipped and were used as well. So there's a nice little FOH setup, complete with power, for under $2K.

• Members

Originally posted by Fattone Mark

I quit my last band & started a new one the only pa gear I got was the mix wiz .I have a gig at the end of the month I got $3000 to buy mains a sub & amps with

Iwas thinking of buying the following gear

2- yamaha C115V for mains $336 x2 =$ 677

2-yamaha CM115V for moninters $356 x2= $ 712

1-yamaha CW218 subwofer 1=$ 646

3- crown XLS 602 power amps $349 x3 =$1047

Total $3082

What do you think ? I figured I could always add another set of tops for $677 & add another sub for $646 for a total $1323 more when I need more coverage. anyone useing these cabs ?are these cabs ok or do they suck? supposedly they have emenance drivers in them. I know I'll need cables & a crossover still anyone got any better ideas? Im open to listening. From now on Im goin to own the PA period!!!! Still stinging from this breakup.!!!!

If you shop for around $3000 you should be able to pick up a

Yorkville EF500p's / LS800 system.

EF500p's

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=103&cat=2&type=29

plus 1 Yorkville Ls800p sub

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=213&cat=2&type=29

Yes you will still need monitors but take a look at the NX55p.

With an all powered rig allot less frigging and no guessing about crossovers,right amp,limiters,etc.

I like mine allot.

What type of music,venues?

Dookietwo

• Members

What do you think ? I figured I could always add another set of tops for $677 & add another sub

It's hard when you have a budget that doesn't match up to your needs. My best advice would be to spend more money for the tops. Adding a second pair won't be as good as spending more $$$ on a better pair to start with. Top boxes don't add on real well. Subs on the other hand is no problem.

• Members

I have some gear I'd let go for the $3000.00 you have to spend. (4) Yamaha SW118IV series subs, (2) Yamaha SW215IV (3-way dual 15's) that would take care of your front end. (2) Peavey 15's for monitor wedges, (2) Crown 202's (3) Crown 402's (bridge two of the 402's for the subs), Behringer Pro Crossover, and all the cables you would need for this system. In South Puget Sound area so delivery to Bend could be an option. If interested give me a call A.S.A.P. I'm about ready to trade in for a couple of new axes. Scott 253-732-4333

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Just noticed shipping is $200 flat. I had mine shipped FedEx Ground from FL to OH for 1/2 that.

How well did FedEx treat them? My favorite shipper for speaker cabs has added a $30 fee for any package over 90 lbs., so I'm thinking of giving FedEx a try.

• Members
Originally posted by Dookietwo

If you shop for around $3000 you should be able to pick up a

Yorkville EF500p's / LS800 system.

EF500p's

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=103&cat=2&type=29

plus 1 Yorkville Ls800p sub

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=213&cat=2&type=29

Yes you will still need monitors but take a look at the NX55p.

With an all powered rig allot less frigging and no guessing about crossovers,right amp,limiters,etc.

are you saying you don't need a cross-over with this system??

• Members

Originally posted by rxnet

before I can jump to the ls800p/ef500p combo I will have to go with a ls800p/jrx125 combo....would I need a crossover with this combo to take some of the lows off the 125's????

yes you sure will.

The powered Yorkville boxes have a selectable 100 Hz filter in them. While it doesn't allow any control over the crossover point this is more or less where you'd want to set the crossover point anyway so it works pretty well (It's how I'm running my rig).

• Members

are you saying you don't need a cross-over with this system??

The LS800p has an adjustable high cut between 90 and 150hz.

The EF500p has a 100hz low cut that of course takes 100hz and below out. Looking at the filters with smaart they look like 24db L/R filters.

I don't care for the JRX box but that is just me. You of course would need a power amp and crossover.

The JRX115 is listed at 128 db's at 1000 watts peak.

So at 250 watts it will put out 122 db's.

Two boxes on each side of the stage would bring you to 128db's but only if they coupled perfectly. More than likely about 124 db's or so.

So two JRX's would give you 124db's with 250 watts to each box.

That is 10db's less than a LS800p sub.

They would run out of spl before the ls800p sub. 10db's before depending on the amp.

500 watts to each box might give you around 127db's but still along way below the ls800p.

If your going with a passive box go with a higher spl box.

Dookietwo

• Members

I already have the jrx's...my first mistake. Wanted a decent sub to run drums so I'm getting the ls800 soon. I'll get by with the jrx's until I can get the ef500's to match. i'll use a crossover.

• Members

Ok I bite the bullet I go for a 2-ef500p & 2 ls800p setup ....what will this do? Ineed to do some outside parties 300 people or so will it get the job done ? how about indoors?

It sure will allot better than a pair of JRX's. :thu:

Build some stands to put the jrx's on their sides to use as monitors. :idea:

With a little searching you will find allot of people use the Ef500p/Ls800p combo for 300 or so people events. Remember that two Ls800p subs will keep up with 4 EF500p's. This gives you room to upgrade as your band takes off. Yes its allot of $ but when you figure in not having to buy amps,crossovers,limiters, and setting the correct crossover points,limiter points, and correct amp type and size it becomes a good value.

With two tops and two subs you have a tri amped "stereo if you want" 4,600 watt PA system.

I have 4 tops with two subs and would not want to go back to seperate amps/DSP crossovers-limiters-delays with passive speakers again. Its the ideal setup for the 50/500 people size rooms I do. Plug them in and go.

Next month I am in a 3000 people room with my system. I only expect 300 or less but I feel I will be more than fine in this room.

I will post a report after the gig.

Kindest Regards

Dookietwo

• Members

Hey Dookie.... what JRX's ? dont got no stinking jrx's

So I talked to the wife said the hell with it max out the CC & get what you need & be done with it Im tired of hearing you worry abot the upcoming gig I got $5000 what should i get the only peice of pa gear I own is the mix wiz & 2 peavey Qf31b eq's need FOH & Mons. I got $2000 out of her just By whinning!!! so thats why woman & kids do it all the time!!!!!wooohooo!!!!

• Members

sorry fattone...dookie was referring to me...I hijacked the thread in your down time...good luck with your new system...report back as this is what I would like to get to (and keep my wife) :D

Archived