Any of you carry a headlamp?

• Members

Just playing with a new toy...an Uber bright headlamp, and thinking this would have some use in audio...you know those dark closets, I guess mostly in setups, under the stage, etc.

Do you guys carry one, and what one do you carry?

Also neat that this one would easily strap to my rack with an aimable head...

15 hours on it's brighest, 300+ on it's dimmest.

620582_vectra_iq.jpg

Uses a xenon bright bulb, with 3 settings, and 4 LED's, having 4 settings.

Black Diamond Vectra IQ btw.

• Members

I carry one. It's incredibly useful once in a while, kind of dorky other times. Definitely the thing to have if you're digging into a rack with both hands or running cables under a stage.

I carry a $30 Petzel, one without the strap over the top of the head - that makes it possible to just hang it around your neck when not in use.

• Members

I bought a no-name cheapie, and used it exactly once. The comments and looks I got were bad enough, but what sealed the deal for me was that it messed my hair :D and hasn't seen the light of day since.

Plus, as Nick said - that's what teeth are for!

AS

• Members

I remember someone had a pair of these things that went on like eye glasses with one little light on each side. For some reason I can't remember what the front looked like, where it went across to the other side, but the sides were like glasses that went over the ears. At least they weren't bulky, and wouldn't mess up your hair. :)

• Members

i have a number of headtorches. haven't used them much in audio purposes, normally a maglite does the job.

But some good light weight headtorches

Petzl - Tikka

Black Diamond - Ion.

Good battery consumption (rather saving of) on both of them.

• Members

I think they're incredibly useful. Enough so that I bought 2 of them! Of course, you also need a "GEEK" sign to wear on your back (don't need one in front, everybody can tell with that unicorn thing on your head.) I don't use them at gigs unless a small disaster is going on and I need to crawl around behind the racks or solder in the dark, but seriously I'd hate to do install work without one. In attics or crawl spaces it's just soo easy.

The LED models are great for battery life.

I've also recently replaced my big 2 D-cell mag light with a little LED light. They're a little spendy and you can't use them as a bat but the new ones are incredibly bright

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

If you're worried enough about your hairstyle that you'd rather work in the dark... you should seriously consider another career.
;)

Hey... who knows what trashed babe might be still around an hour after the Gig is over and desperate enough to go for the Sound guy. :)

• Members

I love my headlamps (2 of them). I use 'em for all kinds of stuff. Most recently, doing some electrical work on my house (adding a new circuit) and since the breaker box is in the deepest and darkest recesses of the basement, and since I wanted to shut down the power so as not to fry myself, I used it there. Sometimes if I'm reading in bed, I'll use one so as not to awaken Mrs. Old Steve. I'll also toss it into my bag on gigs occasionally, although I don't use it much in those instances.

The last time one of them served an audio-related purpose was when I was wiring up an effects rack. With the typical effects unit being only about 7 inches deep and the rack being about 18" deep, combined with the crappy lighting where I usually do this kind of stuff, a headlamp is extremely convenient. Not only do you get BOTH hands free, but most are LED powered now, so they work forever, AND you don't have to put up with slobber all over a possibly dirty maglite, nor have the discomfort of metal against your teeth. Finally, when somebody asks you a question, you don't have to stop working and put the light in your hands to be able to give them an answer they'll understand.

• Members

I bought two of those little LED clamp-on reading lights at the 99 cents store. I clip them on the sides of my glasses and VOILA! hands-free flashlight!

Of course it looks really dorky, but that's the look I was going for anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

If you're worried enough about your hairstyle that you'd rather work in the dark... you should seriously consider another career.
;)

I should have clarified when I posted, but I had to run... I forgot to say I'm mainly a bassist now, so mainly use the flashlight to get around dark stages and such. I'm still as much of a soundguy as I can be, though this is usually limited to being the liasion (sp?) between the band and the soundguy. But yeah when I'm actually running sound, I'm usually too sweaty to keep my hair at its best... but I prefer my new Gerber flashlight anyway.

Originally posted by agedhorse

Wrap your flashlight with a bit of electrical take for some bite cushion;)

Or a layer (or two) of heatshrink around the barrel. I picked up this tip from Audiopile Mark (IIRC), and it worked great on my old AA Maglite.

AS

• Members

I have a bunch of LED and incandescants. Very helpful when crawling at the rear of a dark stage and trying to get things fixed.

I prefer LEDs because of less weight, longer battery life and they look a little less dorky. That, of course, is a relative statement. You are not going to win a fashion contest with either one.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Nice white LED flashlight on belt and teeth.

The AAA don't weigh as much (may save you dental bills) and with LED battery life they still last forever. I found a 3XAAAA, LED that fits in my shirt pocket (AAAAs are sorta rare and expensive unless you rip apart a 9V where you find 6XAAAA batteries).

• Members

Wrap your flashlight with a bit of electrical take for some bite cushion

I also use heatshrink, over a couple wraps of electrical with a P-Touch label with my name/number on it. The E-tape gives a ridge for the shirnk to grab on preventing it from slipping, and the label keeps light handed maglight thieves somewhat honest, or at least bags em when you see your light in their hands.

Oh yea, and it's easy on the teeth, too, see....

:D

• Members

I have a Coast, single LED light on my keychain that trumps any Maglite I've ever used. It has a pocket clip that converts the switch from on/off to momentary simply by moving it over the button. The light is easier to see (whiter and brighter than the mini-Mag), the batteries last virtually forever (though they are button batteries) and it's on my keychain all the time. It doesn't focus, but that's never been a problem. It came with a larger LED light that uses AA's a tad larger than a mini-Mag.

i also have some funky LED lights my dad gave me. Cost him $5 for two in their own case. They have clips to attach to glasses, hats, etc. and though they don't focus, they're perfect for working on dark stages or in the backs of racks. They may look dorky on, but they quickly detach and go back into the small carry case. They use CR2025 watch/button batteries, though.

• Members

I hear ya on the electircal tape. Heat shrink tubing sounds a little bit more elegant. Bottom line, I like my maglites with metal tubes (slide in and out of the holster more easily). Though I did retrofit a couple with LEDs.

One other solution: most outdoors stores and even some hardware stores I've seen sell a headband that allows you to mount your mini-mag on the side of your head. The band has a velcro closure to adjust to the size of your melon, and an elastic loop for the mag lite. Kind of a "best of both worlds" solution that takes up practically zero space.

• Members

In addition to my normal handy mag lights, I have a really cool flashlight that has a clip that fits over my ear. It has a ball joint so it can pivot to shine on anything I need to look at. It has a LED instead of a regular bulb so it doesn't go thru batteries. I paid $3.00 for it, and its lasted over a year. Its great for digging around in racks in the dark and keeps your hands free.

Archived