Ever use a Buttkicker w/ IEM's?

• Members

Thinking about trying one of the Buttkicker Concert LF shakers on a drum throne.

They make their own amp for this thing, but I know others that use normal power amps (QSC, Crown, etc..) to power them.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker%20amplifier_home.html

The Conert Buttkicker is 2ohm operation, so I'm undecided on what to use to power this thing. The Buttkicker amp claims 2100 watts @ 2ohms, but I'm sure that for the purpose of just shaking and vibrating the harmonic distortion requirements are pointless. Seems like you can find their amp for around $250-350.

After talking with Buttkicker about these drivers, they say that they do need some hefty power to get them working at their best. I don't have a spare channel of a power amp to use, so I would need to buy something dedicated for this.

Anyone with experience with their amp? Or any amp powering this device?

• Members

I've used a buttkicker with IEMs, and considering I don't like buttkickers, the combination was quite good. I work with a drummer who has a small mixer by him, with an aux send (monitor mix from the main board) feeding one channel, and a passive split off the kick mic feeding another. He blends to taste, but sends mainly kick into the buttkicker amp, and the rest of the stuff (i.e. the monitor mix, with a little kick to taste) to his ears. I had a go on it while setting it up, and it was quite nice.

The amp I used was d&b e-PAC (can't remember the power spec on it), and it had a great on-board EQ which I tailored to make the kick feel a bit fatter in his, well, bum.

Hope this helps,

AS

• Members

and I recommend a crossover as well,

Really? That's the first I've heard of anyone recommending a crossover with throne shakers. Since the Buttkicker is just a vibration and not actual sound that could cause phasing issues, why would a crossover be needed for the IEM's?

I asked the Buttkicker people if any filter is needed for the signal being fed to the driver, and they said not really, that it will pretty much take care of itself- it just won't reproduce anything beyond its low-end range. For monitoring, they sometimes recommend a hi-pass filter at 30-50Hz so you don't have stage rumble or anything too low in the noise/rumble range. That unit will go down to something like 5Hz. :)

• Members

The only reason you might need a crossover is if the buttkicker is on the same mix as your wedge or IEM feed - in which case you might not want as much kick (i.e. low end) in the wedge (which may be a 12" not capable of too much low end) as you have in your butt. Obviously, this is easier accomplished with two separate amp channels (one direct to the kicker, and one for the high-passed wedge signal).

AS

• Members

A crossover saves having to eat up a second send, and allows some hp to the iems, allowing them to use their power more efficiently. (IEM's aren't going to produce 50hz, so why send it to them?)

The buttshaker needs only from about 150hz down to be effective, using the x-over to LP it's send also yields more available power for the buttshaker.

Archived