advice on optimal use of compression etc. w/powered speaker system

• Members

I'm a debutante with live sound,...bear with me. My band is a power pop/alt rock combo w/female lead vocalist. Our objective is to assemble a simple not too cumbersome back up PA system *for vocals only - to use at local small venues that do not provide a house PA. No other instruments will be run through it. Our collection of gear consists of (2) JBL 800w Powered Speakers w/ 15" woofers + (2) mini floor monitors daisy chained, 8ch mixer. My question is "would adding a rack compressor, and or a rack effect for vocals optimize performance of the system?" Is there anything we could be missing that may reduce chances of potential feedback and maximize vocal volume? TIA

• Members

Compression and effects are not going to do anything to aid in feedback. You need a good eq, preferably a 1/3 octave( one for the mains one for the monitors), to properly eq your system, and the knowledge to use it properly.

A touch of compression, again properly set, can help to smooth out the vocals, and (again properly set) a touch of reverb can enhance them especially in smaller rooms. However neither will aid in getting your system louder, and in fact fx can rob the vocals of clarity quickly in inexperienced hands.

• Members

As Nick said, any tool is only as sharp as its operator, and any magic device in the signal path will only work when operated properly.

An EQ is more often recommended as the first piece of rack kit in a PA, but every room sounds different and you'd need to set the EQ every time you set up.

A compressor is usually next, and has the advantage that you can set-and-forget if it's being used on the same vocalist at every gig (well you might need to tweak very slightly depending on how she's feeling on a given day). Unless you get very creative with signal routing, your board will need an insert point on the vocal channel.

Reverb is really flavoring added after you've got the 'dry' signal sounding good, and I wouldn't recommend it as your first (upgrade) purchase.

Again, all three can degrade performance (and in the extreme case even damage gear, which isn't hard to do).

Having said all this, IMHO you should get a compressor, especially if feedback issues aren't your biggest concern.

AS

• Members

Compression inserted on a live mic in front of a monitor can be a dangerous thing. It can work at low volumes but here are some of the problems:

1) Compression can give your vocalict a false sense of dynamics changing their mic tecnique possibly to the detrament of the mains mix.

2) If you're running close to the feedback threshold (trying to get the vocals heard above the instruments on stage). You may keep increasing the volume of that singer so that they can hear themselves while singing but when the singing stops, the gain reduction from the compressor stops (opens the mic channel back up to full gain) and your now in the feedback zone.

If you're running mains and monitors from the same board (I'm assuming you are) and if you feel you need compression on the vocalist either split the mic into two channels (one with the comp for mains and one without compression as a monitor channel only) or assign the mic to it's own subgroup and insert the comp in the the subgroup channel (that way your pre fade aux for monitors never sees the Compresed signal).

Archived