Lightweight Monitors

• Members

I'm going to propose to my bandmates that each person requiring a monitor for vocals purchase their own and bring it to gigs. As the PA guy and bassist, I'm running out of room in my van to haul everything.

Currently we're using some borrowed monitors (that we can still use) in addition to my pair of Peavey PR12's. The PR12's work, but I'd like to have several suggestions to offer when I'm asked, "Hey...what do you recommend?" Right now, I'd say a PR12. What are some other choices? Weight and price are a concern as we have two female singers with the former being the biggest concern.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm going to propose to my bandmates that each person requiring a monitor for vocals purchase their own and bring it to gigs. As the PA guy and bassist, I'm running out of room in my van to haul everything.

Currently we're using some borrowed monitors (that we can still use) in addition to my pair of Peavey PR12's. The PR12's work, but I'd like to have several suggestions to offer when I'm asked, "Hey...what do you recommend?" Right now, I'd say a PR12. What are some other choices? Weight and price are a concern as we have two female singers with the former being the biggest concern.

Damn... hard to beat the PR12 for weight and price and sound. Too bad the angle isn't better as is.

I'll be watching this thread myself, though, as I'm thinking about getting more PRs.

I think that's a great idea, having them get their own Mon's. Anyone should be able to afford and lug one PR12 or other small light affordable monitor, and take all that off of you.

• Members

Originally posted by Mark G. Hinge

Damn... hard to beat the PR12 for weight and price and sound. Too bad the angle isn't better as is...

When I was using the Impulse 200s (same cab, different guts) as monitors, I had about a 15 inch piece of 1X6 that either fit the slot under the top handle (or I ripped it to fit) and it would allow the speaker to tilt back to a useable monitor position. Kept the boards in my kit and pulled them out when needed.

Kim

• Members

Been pretty happy so far with my EV ZX1's

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/250.html

Amazing amount of bass for it's size and crystal clear. Only will handle 200 watts but I'd think that would be enough if stage volume is at a reasonable leavel. 18lbs and if you look you can score them for about $240.00. Great monitor for our situation anyway and would probably make great mains too, with the addition of a small sub.

• Members

Yorkville YX10 or YX12 (24 lbs and 37 lbs). 99DB Efficiency and 150/200 watts program each. 2 Year unconditional warranty. 150$ for YX10 or 200$ for YX15. Haven't heard them but my dealer says they sound great. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

http://www.bp-lighting.com/Yorkville/Yorkville%20YX%20Series/Pro%20Audio%20-%20Yorkville%20YX%20Series.htm

• Members

Originally posted by Al Poulin

Yorkville YX10 or YX12 (24 lbs and 37 lbs). 99DB Efficiency and 150/200 watts program each. 2 Year unconditional warranty. 150$ for YX10 or 200$ for YX15. Haven't heard them but my dealer says they sound great. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

That looks like a nice unit and price.

• Members

I would like to hear the YX series next to the PR to compare. I know all YX cabinets have a 1.4'' HF driver made by Celestion which is supposed to sound really decent. I wonder if the wood box would sound better than plastic box or have better bass response? Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Service

• Members

What am I missing in the specs?

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 360W

POWER OUTPUT: 100W, THD

INPUTS: XLR balanced, mic-level (MIC input supplied with full-time 15V phantom power),

1/4 TRS balanced/unbalanced, line-level (LINE);

1/4 TS unbalanced, line level (AMP IN)

OUTPUTS: 1/4 TS unbalanced, line-level (LINE OUT)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 110Hz20kHz

MAXIMUM OUTPUT SPL at 1M: 109dB (continuous), 115dB (peak)

INPUT SENSITIVITY: LINE: 100mV RMS, -20dBV, MIC: 10mV RMS, -40dBV

AMP IN: 1V RMS, 0dBV (LEVEL @ maximum for all three inputs)

TONE CONTROL: +/-10dB at 12kHz

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: One 10 in. 4 ohm woofer, with a 2 voice coil (P/N0055911000)

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: One Piezoelectric compression driver, with a 1 1/2 diaphragm (P/N 0055741000)

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2.2kHz

COVERAGE ANGLE: 90 degrees symmetrical at 2kHz

DIMENSIONS: Height: 13 3/8 in. (34 cm)

Width: 13 3/8 in. (34 cm)

Depth: 9 1/8 in. (23.2 cm)

WEIGHT: 22 lbs. (10 kg)

100 watts isn't ear-splitting, but they'll be right at the performer's feet so you're not having to throw 20'. 110 - 20khz isn't going to give a bunch of kick drum or low B bass notes, but it'll cover the vocal range. The line out is unbalanced but if you're daisychaining signal from 1 to the next on stage you're not likely to be more than 10 -20' apart. They've got a small footprint & only weigh 22 lbs.

All in all, not something I'd use for an arena/stadium tour, but for a small stage in a club, and at $270 for monitor + power, there are worse choices.

• Members
Originally posted by Never_Grew_Up

What am I missing in the specs?

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 360W

POWER OUTPUT: 100W, THD INPUTS: XLR balanced, mic-level (MIC input supplied with full-time 15V phantom power),

1/4 TRS balanced/unbalanced, line-level (LINE);

1/4 TS unbalanced, line level (AMP IN)

OUTPUTS: 1/4 TS unbalanced, line-level (LINE OUT)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 110Hz20kHz

MAXIMUM OUTPUT SPL at 1M: 109dB (continuous), 115dB (peak)

INPUT SENSITIVITY: LINE: 100mV RMS, -20dBV, MIC: 10mV RMS, -40dBV

AMP IN: 1V RMS, 0dBV (LEVEL @ maximum for all three inputs)

TONE CONTROL: +/-10dB at 12kHz

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: One 10 in. 4 ohm woofer, with a 2 voice coil (P/N0055911000)

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: One Piezoelectric compression driver, with a 1 1/2 diaphragm (P/N 0055741000)

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2.2kHz

COVERAGE ANGLE: 90 degrees symmetrical at 2kHz

DIMENSIONS: Height: 13 3/8 in. (34 cm)

Width: 13 3/8 in. (34 cm)

Depth: 9 1/8 in. (23.2 cm)

WEIGHT: 22 lbs. (10 kg)

100 watts isn't ear-splitting, but they'll be right at the performer's feet so you're not having to throw 20'. 110 - 20khz isn't going to give a bunch of kick drum or low B bass notes, but it'll cover the vocal range. The line out is unbalanced but if you're daisychaining signal from 1 to the next on stage you're not likely to be more than 10 -20' apart. They've got a small footprint & only weigh 22 lbs.

All in all, not something I'd use for an arena/stadium tour, but for a small stage in a club, and at $270 for monitor + power, there are worse choices.

I've heard both the passive and the active version. Not much volume,as the "109 db continuous max" volume should tell you. 100 watts into an efficient cab is pretty good volume. But these aren't very efficient.

• Members

I like the idea of a small/light powered monitor (or two), which would work for a lot of the stuff I do these days.

I found this, and thought that it might be a good idea to add to an existing monitor (one you like the sound of), and you can run another from it, too.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-797&DID=7&raid=27&rak=300-797

One of these and a PR12 is $320, but two PR12s and one of these to power both comes to $480, which is only $240 each... not bad for the equivalent of two powered PR12s, although only around 100watts to each.

Just a thought. :)

Archived