Good speaker cables?

• Members

I have a bunch of ~20 year old cable that was left for me by my brother. It says 300 volt 18/3 SJ Stationary on the rather large rubber insulator jacket. The cables were braided together and made into speaker snakes by taping them with duct tape which has been on them for the last 18 years at least. Cables range in length from 25-50'. Would these make good speaker cables?:eek::freak::D

• Members

Look closely at the rubber jacket to see if it's breaking down and cracking. That's common, as well as the inner insulation oxidizing and cracking.

If it's ok, then there's nothing wrong with using it as cables for oowe power applications, say under 200 watts at 8 ohms, or 150 watts at 4 ohms if the didtance is reasonable like 25-30 feet.

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

yup. The vintage cables really bring out the sizzling highs and booming bass....

p:thu:

Yeah, I figured the jacket would have settled in by now and give a nice warm tone to everything.:cool:

He also returned a snake I built 30 years ago, complete with 20 year old duct tape on it.:( The snake still works fine with all channels up and running.:thu: (Wow, do I love Goo Gone!):thu: Now it's clean again.:D

Archived