Horn suggestions

• Members

I have a molded JBL speaker box that has been sitting in my garage for years. We used to mold these at a plastics place I used to work for. I have decided to try and make these usable. I have a set of Eminence Delta 12A speakers and would like possible cheep suggestions for the horns. I will probably try and run these for a little wile Bi-amped and find a usable crossover frequency before adding a passive crossover. Would the EMINENCE PSD2002S-8 driver be a decent match for the Delta 12a?

This Box

I will be using EP2500s or QSC PLx3002 amps

• Members

Originally posted by IKILLEDKENNY54

Would the EMINENCE PSD2002S-8 driver be a decent match for the Delta 12a?

They are a good match, and a very common combination.

So, What are the box dimensions, port sizes and horn cutout size?

• Members

Box is 24 3/8" x 17" x 12" deep there are 2 small 1&1/2" or so ports on either side of the woofer. The horn size will be a 15" x5" flare 90 degree by 40 degree. These came with some sort of L pad attached but I doubt I will use it unless I can figure out how to hook them up. They are marked JBL Control 12 SR on the rear of the cabs

• Members

I have a molded JBL speaker box that has been sitting in my garage for years. We used to mold these at a plastics place I used to work for. I have decided to try and make these usable. I have a set of Eminence Delta 12A speakers and would like possible cheep suggestions for the horns. I will probably try and run these for a little wile Bi-amped and find a usable crossover frequency before adding a passive crossover. Would the EMINENCE PSD2002S-8 driver be a decent match for the Delta 12a?

I will be using EP2500s or QSC PLx3002 amps

PS2002 or Selenium DT210 would be good choices.

• Members

Box is 24 3/8" x 17" x 12" deep there are 2 small 1&1/2" or so ports on either side of the woofer. The horn size will be a 15" x5" flare 90 degree by 40 degree. These came with some sort of L pad attached but I doubt I will use it unless I can figure out how to hook them up. They are marked JBL Control 12 SR on the rear of the cabs

Delta should work just fine in a box that size. PS2002 is a good driver, especially for the price. 15 x 5 allows you plenty of choices for 90 x 40 horns.

Since the box is big enough for the Delta, port at ~55hz for the flattest response. I can see in the picture that the ports are kind of trapezoidal. Give us the measurements, and we'll see if the porting is already ballpark.

port.gif

You can use the L-Pad if the impedence is correct.

• Members

A=3.0"

B=1.5"

C=1.75"

Ok. With that port area, and approximating box volume minus those grooves down the side and components: with end correction, I'm guessing about 1 - 1.25" port length. Is that ballpark of what's there?

• Members

Originally posted by soul-x

Ok. With that port area, and approximating box volume minus those grooves down the side and components: with end correction, I'm guessing about 1 - 1.25" port length. Is that ballpark of what's there?

You lost me a bit on that one if you are refering to the debth of the port they extend 2.0" into the box past the surface of the woofer mount.

• Members

You lost me a bit on that one if you are refering to the debth of the port they extend 2.0" into the box past the surface of the woofer mount.

According to my guestimation of the box volume, that puts the tuning ~50hz, which should work fine with no modifications. Just make sure to engage the 50hz low-cut filter on your power amp.

I'd suggest starting with a x-over point around 1800 as the Delta gets pretty peaky above there.

• Members

Soul-x Thanks for the tip. I will have to think things out for a bit before I buy the HF drivers. I was also looking at
cheapie drivers but can not find any reviews on them. They are probably poo.

Poo, for sure. Don't step in it.

No reviews needed. The picture and verbage are enough to paint the picture.

Archived