MixWiz 16:2 price in Canada

• Members

I know it gets tricky with US and CAN exchange rates and where the product is manufactured and all, but I got quoted $1852 CAN for an A&H MixWiz3 16:2 from a retailer who has consistently given me very reasonable prices on other gear. This was via email today so I'm not quite sure how to respond. Doesn't that seem a little steep, given that at MF it's around a thousand bucks US? I'm thinking maybe he looked up the wrong model...any of my Canadian comrades on here have any thoughts?

Actually, on a similar note, I got a quote from my local pro music shop today...in another post you might remember I'm putting together a new PA. I was disappointed to find out that out of Yorkville, A&H, DBX, TC Electronics, QSC and Monster, they can only get Yorkville and Monster stuff. I guess I don't quite understand how the whole "authorized dealer" thing works...it makes it awfully tough to buy most of your gear in one place (which I wish I could do so they can sweeten the deal a little) short of going to Toronto. Crazy.

Anyway, the MixWiz price...is that normal up here? (I say up, although where I live is south of like 12 states).

• Members

Well, on top of currency conversion there's duty taxes when we have to order stuff from the US, which might be something like 20%. If allen&heath had a canadian distributor (do they?) then the price wouldn't be as steep. You also have to note that with MF, they sell tons of units every day so they can sell for cheaper, whereas if you're at a smaller music shop, even a chain shop like long & mcquade's their prices are going to be higher because they have to sell the units at a higher price to make some profit.

But that price makes sense, I guess, my mixer (a 24-channel peavey RQ, discontinued) was $1,400 when I bought it, so for a mixer like that from allen & heath it'll be a bit more expensive.

Archived