Where can I order 50' mic cables with male XLR's on BOTH ends?

• Members

I need three 50' mic cables with male ends. I don't know how to make them myself , I just want to know where I can order them. I've been using some "turnarounds" on the ends that go into the stage box of my snake , but I hate that.

So if anyone knows where I can get these , please let a brutha know...

Thank you!

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I suggest staying with turnarounds... that way your XLR cableing stays standard and you just turn around right where you need to.

+1, a 50' mic cable (of the ordinary garden variety) and a 3"? 6"? 1'? male-male gender bender (of the ordinary garden variety) are both standard stock at any cable dealer (including Mark), and will give you more flexibility in the long run.

AS

• Members

Originally posted by Never_Grew_Up

Why would you need male on both ends unless you have matching female-only cables for the other end of the snake?

Or, if you are using a send on a stage box as an extra return. I do however agree with aged that the turnarounds are a better option.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by padudeohio

I do however agree with aged that the turnarounds are a better option.

FWIW: I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna use turn-arounds in a routine sort of way (like all the time), I prefer short corded (like 1 or 2ft.) turn-arounds over barrel adaptor style, since the short corded type can put less strain on panel jacks.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

FWIW: I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna use turn-arounds in a routine sort of way (like all the time), I prefer short corded (like 1 or 2ft.) turn-arounds over barrel adaptor style, since the short corded type can put less strain on panel jacks.

Here's what I'm doing. I come out of the back of my DRPA (hi left , hi right , and left/mono sub) into the fan-out end of my snake. From there I come out of my stage box (3 cables mic cables loomed together) and into my amp rack.

I hate using the turnarounds because they stick up to high. They stick up just high enough that people come too close to kicking them when they step over them. I don't have any sub-snakes right now , so the stage box CANNOT be close to the amp rack or put out of harms way.

The turnarounds seem to put too much strain on the panel jacks (like you commented on) , and the turnarounds even look as if they're bending a bit. If I have 3 mic cables with male ends , this will go away. I'm ONLY going to use them for this reason so I don't need for anything to be flexable or anything.

Thanks to all of you for your help and comments...

• Members

Originally posted by CHIP ROBERTS

I'm ONLY going to use them for this reason so I don't need for anything to be flexable or anything.

Unless one of the cables fail and then you would be stuck unless you had some turnarounds (be they barrel or short cables and then you can use normal mic cables to get through the night). Just a little thought.

NMR

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by CHIP ROBERTS

Here's what I'm doing.

The turnarounds seem to put too much strain on the panel jacks (like you commented on) , and the turnarounds even look as if they're bending a bit. If I have 3 mic cables with male ends , this will go away. I'm ONLY going to use them for this reason so I don't need for anything to be flexable or anything.

"My" suggestion:

Don't adulterate your mic cables. Leave them as they are. Just order, or make-up, some double male shorties... leave them on your existing cables if you like. This way your XLR cables will still be viable XLR cables, and you'll have a few gender bender cables... which will also be viable additions to your audiopile for decades to come.

The double male shorties have a lot of uses. I'm currently using two in my "band in a van system"... in my monitor power rack. I have a couple of cheapie amps which I run parallel stereo... these amps are not equipped with parallel stereo mono switches... I go into the amps with TRS and jump the innie XLR's with double male XLR shorties to parallel the two channels. Of-course, I can pop the double male XLR shorties out and patch straight stereo if need be. The double male XLR shorties I'm using for this I got from Tom Mathews of RTM Audio about 10 years ago. I suspect Tom made them sometime in the mid '70's.

Archived