So, uh, crossovers...

• Members

Its not enough that I have to get a power amp, mixer, and speakers, huh? I have to get a crossover! And a power conditioner too. And a graphic EQ. Aggh

Anyway, what are good crossovers for cheap? How drastic and what can I expect from say, a $70 Nady crossover and a $200 dbx one?

• Members
Originally posted by mparsons

Its not enough that I have to get a power amp, mixer, and speakers, huh? I have to get a crossover! And a power conditioner too. And a graphic EQ. Aggh

Anyway, what are good crossovers for cheap? How drastic and what can I expect from say, a $70 Nady crossover and a $200 dbx one?

Ebay is full of deals on new or used active crossovers. You can get lots of decent models for under $100. What do you need? 2 way,3 way,stereo or mono,high and low pass filters,time alignment? And why on earth do you think you need a power conditioner?

• Members

Not a power conditioner but one of those rackmount furmans. Probably a better word is power distributor.

I suppose I have no idea what I need. I just learned about these things today

Our PA set up ( looks like it will be anyway ) is a Yamaha MG16/6FX mixer into a QSC RMX1850 HD power amp. Channel one of the power amp goes into two Yamaha S115Vs, and channel two of the power amp goes into two Yamaha S118Vs.

And of course whatever else I need that I haven't thought of yet

Thanks! :D

• Members

Not a power conditioner but one of those rackmount furmans. Probably a better word is power distributor.

I suppose I have no idea what I need. I just learned about these things today

Our PA set up ( looks like it will be anyway ) is a Yamaha MG16/6FX mixer into a QSC RMX1850 HD power amp. Channel one of the power amp goes into two Yamaha S115Vs, and channel two of the power amp goes into two Yamaha S118Vs.

And of course whatever else I need that I haven't thought of yet

Thanks!
:D

Well you should have an EQ. Beyond that and the crossover,that's all you really need. You want a basic active crossover that alows for splitting the signal in the 80-150 hz range with 18 or 24 db rolloff. I just bought a brand new Crate/Audio Centron 2-way stereo model for a smaller system for abvout $60 shipped. Works fine and I'd definitely take it over a Nady or Behr. My crossover in my main system is a Soundtech and it has been perfect since I bought it new almost 10 years ago. Now,why do you think you gotta have that Furman thing? Do you need the slide out lights?

• Members

Partexpress had the rackmount power strip thingy for about $20 a few months ago. I bought one-nice & basic. I do miss the lights for. But, as another one of the recent threads mentioned "that's what teeth are for" when talking about the 'flashlight-on-a-noggin' concept.

Johnny

• Members

Do NOT plug amps into a Furman. As previously noted, they are 15 amps, and cannot handle the current draw.

Other than the convenience of the outlets and the light, these type of units are a huge waste of money, as they offer no real protection or conditioning. Good UPS power delivery is expensive and heavy, but well worth the expense and weight IMHO. YMMV.

• Members

Away we go, into OT land!

So, what do you recommend for power distribution? This'll be our main rack for our portable PA, so it'll have our crossover, power amp, mixer, etc. plugged in. When we get a seperate power amp for monitors we'll probably get a different rack for it, just for weight purposes.

And... who turns on amps at the same time anyway? :p

• Members

Away we go, into OT land!

So, what do you recommend for power distribution? This'll be our main rack for our portable PA, so it'll have our crossover, power amp, mixer, etc. plugged in. When we get a seperate power amp for monitors we'll probably get a different rack for it, just for weight purposes.

And... who turns on amps at the same time anyway?
:p

I always turn on one amp at a time. But they all draw power when being pushed.

• Members

I use a furman PC for FOH which will have eq's/xover/lexicon/mixer and as i've learned here amps are on stage close to the speakers so....

1. Is the furman OK with that FOH set-up (i like the lights)??

2. with an amp rack on stage do you just connect it directly to the source (wall)??

• Members

Originally posted by rxnet

1. Is the furman OK with that FOH set-up (i like the lights)??

2. with an amp rack on stage do you just connect it directly to the source (wall)??

Yes and yes

but the second yes for larger systems include a distro circuit for each amp rack.

• Members

Crossover? What sucks about low end crossovers that is good about high end ones? And where do you get an acceptable level?

Thanks!

Reliability, balanced ins and outs, 4th order filters, internal power supply.

Archived