Got to put my new 4x12 through it's paces

• Members

For those of you who helped me out with some of my power amp questions in my other thread, thanks again.

For those that didn't read that thread, I just got a used Sonic 4x12 cab for $76 off ebay. It turned out to have one blown driver, so I replaced it with a Celestion G12H-80 I had laying around. The remaining three were Eminence Legend M12's. The Eminence drivers are 120 watts each, 16 ohm. The Celestion is 80 watts, 8 ohm. I decided to wire it up so that the three Eminence drivers were in parallel for an ohm load of 5.3, and wired the Celestion to the other jack on it's own. I pulled the old wire and rewired the cab up with some 14 gauge cable I also had laying around and some crimp on connectors. The connectors are actually for 10-12 gauge wire, so I may have to redo it later, but they seem to be on there good and tight.

Here's a pic of the rewired cab.

4x12Wiring3.jpg

Anyway, the reason I didn't wait to get a matching replacement (other than money) is that I needed the cab for a jam session with an old drummer buddy of mine that was coming up.

Well, we finally got to set up out at my folks house in the country. My wife and I live in an apartment where I record direct, but my friend has a few grand into his drums and was itching to jam with me. So we hauled the guitar rig and set out there and threw it together on the enclosed porch.

Here's a pic of my friend's drum set. It's a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage, which is about in the middle of the Yamaha line. He got really nice DW hardware and Yamaha's top of the line double bass pedal. The two crashes and the ride are Sabian Hand Hammered cymbals, and I have to say they're exquisite sounding even in this less than acoustically ideal space. The hihats are Sabian AAX Fusions.

Nice set, and I really dig the emerald green color. :thu:

Yamahadrums.jpg

In my other thread there was some discussion about whether or not my small Carvin power amp would supply enough juice to keep up with the set. I was wondering about this myself, and set up with a bit of trepidation. With the wiring setup I had, the amp would be putting out around 65-70 watts into the three Eminence drivers and 50 watts into the Celestion. Not a whole heck of a lot of power.

But the Eminence Legend M12 is a very efficient speaker (102 db at 1w/1m), so I was hopeful.

I'm happy to say that everything worked splendidly. There was enough volume to cause the drummer to remark "it's certainly enough to kick me in the head". :D It took me only a few minutes of tweaking to adjust my patches in my PODxt for the cab (turn off the cab model, lose a lot of bass and a bit of treble) and we were up and running. They're not the bassiest speakers in the world, but I don't use a very bassy sound anyway (despite being a seven string player). It sounded tight and clean (which is what the M12's are described as being).

I was very worried about clipping or running too much bass to the speakers, so I checked on them with every sound and listened very intently for any flubbing or anything like that at high volume. I never had to set the volume on the channel powering the Eminence drivers more than half way, and I left the Celestion's channel at about a third (you can see the settings in the pic). Worked great, and handled the seven string just fine.

So I'm just pleased as punch that it worked so well, and I really appreciated everybody helping me out in the other thread.

Here's a pic of the whole rig. Schecter 007 Blackjack>PODxt w/ FBV Express footcontroller>Carvin DCM150>Sonic 4x12 cab with Eminence Legend M12's/Celestion G12H-80.

Guitarrig2.jpg

Thanks again for everybody's help, I just thought I'd share that it worked out so well! :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Sonic stuff is always a good value and it is rediculous that their stuff doesn't bring more $ used.

Once I saw the auction I went looking for information about the company and everything I read said that they made solid stuff that was good bang for the buck.

The cool thing is that when I first saw the auction it had a buy it now of $150. I went looking for info before I was going to buy it, and by the time I came back someone had bid on it and the buy it now option was gone. So I bid on the thing and actually ended up winning it for $76. Heck, I would have been happy getting it for the $150, it would have made for $225 total including shipping, not bad for a 4x12 with some good Eminence drivers. I ended up only paying $157.50 for the whole deal.

Score! :cool:

Archived