• Members

I read a few years ago, ZOMAX made copies of JBL Speakers.

Not sure if it's true. One way in finding out is to download JBL's PDF of the 2445 driver, and compare the specs to your ZOMAX. :thu:

How good is it?

Without the spec sheet present, I don't think anyone would know unless they owned one.

• Members

This driver "appears" to be an exact copy of a JBL 2445. I've pulled the back cover off, and the diapgram looks identical. Of course, looks don't always mean much, but it at least lets us know that Zomax attempted to copy the JBL's.

Right now, this Zomax driver with horn goes for $1,025! :eek: I paid somewhere around $300 to $500 for it brand new about 7 or 8 years ago. Jansen is poking eyes out for this thing!

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay

This driver "appears" to be an exact copy of a JBL 2445.

It's not. For one thing: the throat of the Zomax driver is 1" shorter than the JBL.

I've pulled the back cover off, and the diapgram looks identical.

It's not. For one thing: JBL uses a diamond pattern in the flex area where-as from what I recall Zomax uses a scallop pattern. The Zomax is a "phase forward" driver (and diaphragm) where-as the JBL is "phase reverse". There's no doubt in my mind that the diaphragm materials differ since they definately have a different color. The JBL might be "better built" judging by the wrap of the speaker lead to winding transition.

From personal experience though, I do know the Zomax diaphragm will function in the JBL. I believe there are suppliers in the US who sell Zomax manufactured diaphragms as after-market diaphragms for the JBL driver.

Right now, this Zomax driver with horn goes for $1,025!
:eek:
I paid somewhere around $300 to $500 for it brand new about 7 or 8 years ago. Jansen is poking eyes out for this thing!

I have it on pretty good authority that the origional Zomax 2445 driver it'self was selling for somewhere around $150ea. in the US from about 3 to 6 or 7 years ago.

I believe that might be the cast aluminum Zomax 2380 hornflair your Zomax driver is mounted on?

Suposedly there is a factory outlet in the US for Zomax products... possibly in Phoenix. If you're persistant, this could get you somewhere: http://www.prozomax.com/contact.asp

And FWIW: I believe there are (or was) about 3 or 4 or more different Zomax's... all of which were at one time possibly making some similar (possibly extremely similar) products with possibly similar (possibly extremely similar) logos. I believe the origional Zomax products came out of Tiawian. The others possibly came out of China.

Originally posted by OMNIFEX

How good is it?

Without the spec sheet present, I don't think anyone would know unless they owned one.

As far as "how good is it?"... well:

I personally believe that in side-by-side listening tests, the Zomax seems to be smoother. Long term operational tests seem to suggest they're both equally durable under reasonable conditions.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile
As far as "how good is it?"... well:

I personally believe that in side-by-side listening tests, the Zomax seems to be smoother. Long term operational tests seem to suggest they're both equally durable under reasonable conditions.

So as far as sound quality is concerned, do you consider this to be a very good driver/horn?

Guest Anonymous

So as far as sound quality is concerned, do you consider this to be a very good driver/horn?

Very good?

No.

I consider these compression drivers to be very good:

TAD TD4003

JBL 2450

BMS 4592ND

Meyer MS-2001N

None of which are in the price range of the Zomax 2445 to my knowledge.

I consider the Zomax 2445 to be serviceable for mid-level professional applications. I believe Carvin used them in some of their upper level speaker cabinets for awhile (maybe still do).

I consider the Zomax 7299 to be a better over-all choice to their 2445.

• Members

i have a couple of those! i have not looked at them in about a year. they are in storage. the drives are zomax 2445 2" driver mounted on 2" throat lenses mounted in homemade boxes covered with rhino bed liner. they have a side handle on the box and are already wired. i had one to blow the diaphram and replaced it with a peavey 44xt. so i think the jbl diaphram will work also.

want to buy them? i'll make you a good deal!

email: superior@belzonicable.com

thanks

Archived