Live acoustic guitar

• Members

Hi folks,

I've always craved the 'real' sound of an unplugged acoustic, yet only plugged in. I really don't like the sound of my plugged in acoustics.

I usually use a Martin D-19 with a piezo (thinline maybe?) thru a Baggs Para-acoustic DI to the PA. It beefs up the sound but it still sounds thin and dry and tinny. It varies by what PA I'm running thru - sometimes it doesn't sound too bad.

I also have an SJ-200 with a Sunrise pickup. Still...tinny and thin. I've tried a Sans Amp DI as well, but that tends to sound more distorted.

Lastly, I have a Taylor 714-CE with Fishman preamp and that probably sounds the best. However it can be boxy and I'd like to play a thick-bodied guitar like Martin or Gibson.

I usually run EQ pretty flat as I don't know the nuances very well.

Any suggestions? How can I get that wood sound/warmth back in?

I have my eye on a Hummingbird but scared to plug it in. Blah! :)

thanks!

brian

• Members

micing's usually not an option as I'm often with a band, but I can do that solo sometimes.

I may try the Countryman. I have so many combos and different di's and different pa's that it's hard to get a consistent sound. I can fit so many puzzle pieces together in different combos. It's overwhelming.

thanks you two-

brian

• Members
Originally posted by bmusic

Hi folks,

I've always craved the 'real' sound of an unplugged acoustic, yet only plugged in. I really don't like the sound of my plugged in acoustics.

I usually use a Martin D-19 with a piezo (thinline maybe?) thru a Baggs Para-acoustic DI to the PA. It beefs up the sound but it still sounds thin and dry and tinny. It varies by what PA I'm running thru - sometimes it doesn't sound too bad.

I also have an SJ-200 with a Sunrise pickup. Still...tinny and thin. I've tried a Sans Amp DI as well, but that tends to sound more distorted.

Lastly, I have a Taylor 714-CE with Fishman preamp and that probably sounds the best. However it can be boxy and I'd like to play a thick-bodied guitar like Martin or Gibson.

Any suggestions? How can I get that wood sound/warmth back in?

I have my eye on a Hummingbird but scared to plug it in. Blah!
:)

thanks!

brian

Why do you set the EQ flat if it needs some adjusting?

• Members

I'm with TLB on this one. You don't need to know what it does - just experiment till you find a sound you're happy with (and hopefully the soundguy will be happy with it too)... voila!

AS

• Members

yea that's the way the Taylor is; it's a Fishman blender where you can adjust the mic and pickup blend.

I wish more big guitars I like - like I said Martin's and Gibsons came with blenders. But I can see where they don't want to cut into the wood.

But to me it's necessary for a decent sound.

I have an Avalon U5 which I saw was recommended by John Mayer and I know he uses Martins, which probably just come with a piezo. Maybe that's a good combo?

So far I just use the U5 in my studio.

• Members

A little eq goes a long way.

One of the biggest ways to suceed with amplifying acoustic guitar is with a really good PA system (exp. good speakers) and an alternative is to use a good acoustic amp which is tailored with acoustic guitar in mine. Also, they will [or at least should] have an input impedance suitable for a passive pickup if one is used.

I just did a show with acoustic guitars as lead instruments in the 2 acts, and had no difficulties getting a convincingly natural acoustic sound at what I felt was a pretty high volume 100dB at the mix position 100 feet back. All were different guitars too. Just a little parametric eq on each channel strip and I was a happy camper all night.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Just a little parametric eq on each channel strip and I was a happy camper all night.

cool. Any general rules to follow? (ex. cut mids, boost a certain frequency, etc.)

In my experiments it seems like cutting mids takes out some harshness. Also gives more room for my voice (voice is mostly midrange, yes?)

thanks-

• Members

Have you checked out the Aura Martins? Fishman takes each guitar and tests its frequency response, then they put in 6 (or 7, I can't remember) "classic Mic simulations) which are actually very similar to using the classic mics they are simulating. I was testing one out at GC and switched it to the classic dynamic (sm57) setting, and without looking, I said, wow, that sounds like a 57 on an acoustic, my wife replied, that is the dynamic cardiod setting,... I didn't get a chance to use it with a PA, but I can imagine the results would be equally pleasing. I'm with AgedHorse, Good PA is always the best start, but it might be worth checking out the Martin Aura guitars....

• Members

Originally posted by bassred

Have you checked out the Aura Martins?

http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_aura_guitars

really cool, thanks. Expensive, but cool. :p

I'm with AgedHorse, Good PA is always the best start, but it might be worth checking out the Martin Aura guitars....

yea last night I was sitting right in front of average quality 12" speakers and the horns were blaring at me. But I heard from the audience that it wasn't as harsh as it was for me up close.

I think I'll stick with the Taylor for now and maybe get up to an Aura someday.

brian

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The eq I will use is different for each guitar and for different PA's.

A truer statement there is not!! I'm a nut for good acoustic sound and there are NO short cuts (aside from a good condenser mic on a stand but thats not very practical for many rock bands). I use the sansamp which has a very sensitive mid control along with a blend control that gets a bit of the quack out but can get too dark if overused. Bottom line is I spend full 5-10 minutes each gig just working on tweaking it based on room, PA, etc.

Yes, a good general rule is cut some mids out but there are times when I have to punch it up a bit. I have heard so many bad sounding amplified acoustic guitars its not funny.

And it doesn't have to be a great pickup either. My Martin had one of those bare bone Fishmans in it and I was able to (eventually) dial in a good sound. Takes time and yes - use your ears. And a feedback killer for your sound hole.

PS - piezo equipped electric are underrated. I'd put my Godin LGX against most Taylors, Taks and Ovations through a PA. The downside is that you really cant get a good, hard, chunky stroke going on those as you would a heavier stringed acoustic.

• Members

cool. Any general rules to follow? (ex. cut mids, boost a certain frequency, etc.)

In my experiments it seems like cutting mids takes out some harshness. Also gives more room for my voice (voice is mostly midrange, yes?)

thanks-

The only rules are to use your ears and adjust accordingly. It really isn't very hard. Just takes a little time. I assume your board has at least one band with sweepable mids? Most do. Just use that to dial in.

• Members

Bmusic,

Here's my rig. Expensive but awesome live acoustic sound.

Martin J40 with Martin gold line pickup ( probably same as the thinline ) into a D-tar Mama bear then into the Bose PAS system with a Bose B1 subwoofer.

Figure $ 2 K for the Bose system and $ 350 for the Mama bear.

If it's within your budget you will be a happy man.

Sherwood

• Members

I got awesome results with a tube preamp, a good compressor, and some haas processing. The Tubeworks Blue Tube (rack version not the pedal) is designed for bass but sounds great on acoustic/electric guitar. Compressor of choice was JBL/UREI 7110, it really leveled out the guitar beautifully (cheap comps like 3630s need not apply). Any digital delay for simple haas processing.

• Members

Haas processing with digital delay (requires stereo PA)

Direct signal panned hard left, 20-30ms delayed signal panned hard right. The ear cannot perceive delays that short but they do perceive the stereo image generated by haas processing. Little known but widely used trick of mastering engineers.

Archived