wireless instrument systems

• Members

I'm tired of tangled cables and tripping. Are there any preferred manufacturers for wireless bass/guitar transmission? Or maybe manufacturers to stay away from? I have no idea what to look for in these products and figured someone on here would know what's good and what's not!

Thanks

• Members

It may not be very popular on this forum, but I've been quite happy with my Samson Airline system for several years. I've used it for both guitar and bass. Once set up and the levels adjusted, I don't notice any significantly poorer quality sound than with a wire, and I have not had any problems with dropouts or noise. I also really like having one aaa battery last me 14 hours of usage time.:cool:

• Members

I use an AKG WMS40 system I got new for $100. When I'm playing distorted guitar there's an audible change, it's slightly muddier than with a cable, but I play bass clean and I only use it live of course, so it's not noticable. I'm really happy with this system.

Shure makes great systems, AKG makes good wireless stuff as well apparently, I don't see why they wouldn't. Seems most pros use Sennheiser systems.

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

It may not be very popular on this forum, but I've been quite happy with my Samson Airline system for several years.

+1

I've used an airline for 4+ years (50+ shows / year) without a single problem. And I get about 2 to 3 full nights (10-15 hours) with a single AA battery.

I like the fact a bodypack is NOT required, and I like having the receiver as a floor stomp box, rather than a rack mount unit.

Reliable, great form factor, cheap to buy, cheap to operate. Works for me.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Nothing wrong with VHF at all. Quality is quality ... VHF or UHF doesn't matter

I don't have any factual reasoning to back it up, but I've used three different Shure wireless VHF units (3 different frequencies, but I always used only one at any given time), and they've always had that occasional 'hiss' when moving about. When I switched to a Shure UHF unit, the problem disappeared. I tried troubleshooting as much as I could - antenna placement, no obvious large metal objects in the vicinity, new batteries, different venues, same venue... couldn't solve it.

BTW, I'm not implying that all Shure wireless products are the same high quality. I'm just saying I was using a known brand.

Any tips?

AS

• Members

Originally posted by Mogwix

When I'm playing distorted guitar there's an audible change, it's slightly muddier than with a cable,

Stands to reason ... you are trading a simple piece or wire with a complicated bunch of electronics whose job it is to replace that wire. Wireless always changes something.

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

I don't have any factual reasoning to back it up, but I've used three different Shure wireless VHF units

That's because the units you used were of poor quality ... not because they were VHF.

The trend is towards UHF because there are way more channels available. It's easier to find a empty slot and the channels are easily changed. Of course when the FTC finally decides where they are gonna put digital TV signals and the stations start loading them up, there are gonna be a bunch of UHF systems instantly reduced to being paperweights. You're gonna need to replace them all.

• Members

It may not be very popular on this forum, but I've been quite happy with my Samson Airline system for several years. I've used it for both guitar and bass. Once set up and the levels adjusted, I don't notice any significantly poorer quality sound than with a wire, and I have not had any problems with dropouts or noise. I also really like having one aaa battery last me 14 hours of usage time.
:cool:

I love my airline. Very convenient, sounds great, extremely reliable and cheap to operate. I've never for a second thought of looking for anything better.

• Members

I purchased the Sennheiser EW172G2 system 4 months ago; used it 25+ gigs with no problems. I enjoy being able to scan for open frequency channels at each gig and the AA battery power is nice. Having a metal casing on the receiver and transmitter is a bit of sleep insurance I'm happy with also. I do alot of moving, jumping around and find myself 50 ft away from the receiver quite often with no drops at all. I would recommend this unit to anyone. My bass player uses the Shure PGX14 unit and is very happy with this unit as well with no problems. IMO, plan on spending a little extra cash on a quality model;

• Members

I've got a couple AKG WMS80 systems. Never a drop out (unless I go more than 80' or so) and has worked very well. HOWEVER, they do suck out a bit of the tone on my guitar. Enough that I notice it, but for the overall band sound, it's not detrimental. For my headet mic, sounds fine.

If I were to get a new one today, I'd probably go Sennheiser.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

That's because the units you used were of poor quality ... not because they were VHF.

Fair enough, I stand corrected... so is there any particular reason UHF is generally more expensive than VHF? Or have I got that confused too?
:)

The trend is towards UHF because there are way more channels available. It's easier to find a empty slot and the channels are easily changed. Of course when the FTC finally decides where they are gonna put digital TV signals and the stations start loading them up, there are gonna be a bunch of UHF systems instantly reduced to being paperweights. You're gonna need to replace them all.

What's the alternative? Go back down to VHF? Or are they going to come out with wireless audio systems at frequencies higher than UHF?

AS

• Members

I'm looking to get a wireless system but I have 2 guitars. I've looked to try to see where I would be able to order just an extra transmitter but haven't had any luck.

I realize I can use it with straplocks anad just change the strap quickly without having to have another transmitter but I'd rather have 1 transmitter for each of my guitars. Any help is appreciated.

• Members

I use 5 different guitars on stage every gig and have no problems with the airline.

Damn! I've been putting 2 on stage, but almost always only use 1 all night. If you've got 5 and switch around fine, the airline/bug must work well for your needs. Seems like that would be about the easiest route, being a small unit to switch.

• Members

I have used both UHF and VHF instrument wireless systems. With the ones I had, the UHF worked better and were quieter (less hiss). I have used both Samson VHF and UHF as well as Shure UHF. I liked the Shure UHF the best.

VHF are usually lower in cost and Shure cost more than Samson. If you can afford it, the Shure is the better of the two.

Since going to a Line Variax guitar with VDI cable, I no longer use instrument wireless. However I still have 2 Samson UHF mics and two Shure UHF mics. All work well, but the Shure sound better. It

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Damn! I've been putting 2 on stage, but almost always only use 1 all night. If you've got 5 and switch around fine, the airline/bug must work well for your needs. Seems like that would be about the easiest route, being a small unit to switch.

I have an acoustic; a second acoustic tuned down a step for a couple of songs; a Ricky 12; an sg special; and a tele; any of which can run through any of three amps; a Mark IV Boogie, an Ibanez acoustic amp, and a Leslie 147 RV. Gives me a lot of versatility. I like my airline transmitter. I also used to play bass, and used the airline for that, as well.

Archived