Isolation headphones on a budget

• Members

Find out if MF friend is selling the current version of those phones.

They are quite listenable. A little on the mellow side, but that's far preferable to the overly brite sound of most phones (such as the industry standard Sony).

The isolation is very good except for bass frequencies, which go where ever they want ;-(

They don't play all that loud. Loud enough for comfortable listening, but not as loud as most folks run their PA.

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

• Members

They have great low end response, and will get loud enough to cause permanant hearing damage easily if they are properly powered. Their audio response is very similiar to that of the Sony MDR 7506, a bit bright, but otherwise very high fidelity. Our experience is the HF emphasis helps in clarity around loud sources.

In 6 years I've never had any isses with the Vics bleeding into tracks, and I've had them painfully loud.

• Members

The Sennheisers are nice sounding phones but do not offer the isolation of the Vic or Extreme's.

Vic Firth Technical Information:

Speaker Type: 50.m/m Dynamic Speaker Mylarcon

Magnet: NFB 15x1.5 Four-Hole Style (50u)

Sound Pressure Level:110.Db +/- 3dB (1mw at 1kHZ)

Rated Input Power: 30.mw

Max. Input Power: 100.mw

Impedance: 250-ohn +/- 15%

Frequency Response: 20HZ - 20kHZ

Cord: 12.5 F coil cord with 3.5 stereo plug (1/4" and 1/8" plugs included)

Comfort Features: Automatically self-aligning for perfect fit and protection.

Broad foam cushions provide maximum comfort.

Direct Sound Extreme Isolation Headphones Specifications:

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz

Drivers: 40mm

Impedance: 64 ohms

Sensitivity: 107 dB/mW

Cord: 9'

Plug: stereo 3.5mm with gold-plated 1/4" adapter

The Vic's claim 24db of reduction, the Extreme's 28db. Both are excellent at isolating hp audio from mics.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

My experience with the HD280's is they have no where near that isolation. They sound very nice, but at high levels for things like click tracks, they can be heard across the room.

Fair enough. I haven't used the ones you mentioned, so I really can't compare, but they work for my purposes, so I figured I'd throw the name out there.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Ive got 5 pair of em so I'd give you the the thumbs up on them. They do what they advertise better than any of the others and are pretty rugged.

i have read a few reviews on the Musicians Friend site and some people say that the part that connects to the ear muff part kinda digs into your head? have you had any problems with that ?

Seems like they have a few more db's of noise reduction than the Vic Firth's but are almost double the price?

Archived