Mackie SRM450's - Finally Heard 'em, Not Impressed

• Members

I bought a pair of JBL EON15 G2's 4 yrs. ago, to use one as a keyboard amp/stage monitor and sometimes use the pair as Mains for a small PA setup on occasional gigs I book myself. At the time I also considered the Mackie SRM450's, which are the main competiton at the same price point and capacity, for powered speakers. I subsequently learned of the Yorkville Sound NX55P's, which are very highly regarded and widely praised - but I hadn't known of them at the time. Anyway, I went for the EONs due to their flexibility in having two 1/4" inputs and 1 XLR input w/volume levels for each - a mini-mixer, if you will. The Mackie SRM450's don't have that - there's only one input.

Plus the EONs have a 15" woofer as opposed the SRM450's 12" speaker. I know that an efficient 12" speaker can be just as punchy (or moreso) than an inefficient 15" woofer (or so it's been stated here on this forum) - but still, my choice was for the 15" in the EON15 G2's.

So I finally heard the Mackie SRM450's in action Sat. nite: my wife dragged me to her 20th high school reunion & there was a DJ there who had a pair of SRM450's - just set up on the floor, not up on spkr. stands or anything. I thought they sounded crappy - much less punchy then my EON15 G2's, much less bass, even though they had the floor to reflect off of. I've used the EON15 G2's for occasional DJ work myself - sometimes w/out an additional subwoofer - and they punch out a nice full sound. They were also much more harsh, piercing sounding. My EON's can be a bit bright, occasionally even slightly harsh - but nothing like these SRM450's were.

I was completely unimpressed w/the Mackie SRM450's. :rolleyes:

• Members

of course you're probably well aware that the situation in which you heard the Mackies wasn't a fair comparison. DJs have control over tone and gain structure. The placement alone leads me to believe that this DJ might have been clue-challenged. Besides the possibilties of being in some terrible acoustic spaces with power alley/boundry challenges. I heard awful sounding Eons too. Pilot error. Unfortunately, I work some shows alongside DJs every month. Most know nearly nothing about sound, just that it needs to be loud. Even starting with the advantages of prerecorded mastered music... While I've never had them side by side, I've worked with both cabs, and I might bet that either one would be just fine within their useful range.

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

of course you're probably well aware that the situation in which you heard the Mackies wasn't a fair comparison. DJs have control over tone and gain structure. The placement alone leads me to believe that this DJ might have been clue-challenged. Besides the possibilties of being in some terrible acoustic spaces with power alley/boundry challenges. I heard awful sounding Eons too. Pilot error. Unfortunately, I work some shows alongside DJs every month. Most know nearly nothing about sound, just that it needs to be loud. Even starting with the advantages of prerecorded mastered music... While I've never had them side by side, I've worked with both cabs, and I might bet that either one would be just fine within their useful range.

I certainly hope so - 'cause what I heard from coming out of the SRM450's when this DJ was using 'em was just awful, hopefully it's not indicative of the typical sound of those cabs & perhaps more "pilot error"...

I think the fact that he had 'em on the flr. wasn't any big deal, btw - it was a very small room and I think it was to keep the volume down so the people at the 20th hs reunion could talk to eachother and not get blasted out. His buddy dj (same dj company) had the same rig in the next room - doing another party in a similar small-sized space & he had his SRM450's on the floor as well.

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Soundwise for live music I prefer in order:

#1 - Yorkville NX550P

#2 - JBL Eon15 G2

#3 - SRM450

I bought the NX550P's and have been very happy.

Aye - others have expressed a similar hierarchichal preference for these powered speaker models (Yorkies, then JBL, then Mackie)... The NX550P's are no longer in production though, Yorkville's current model is the NX55P, I think.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=22&type=29&id=339

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

The NX550P's are no longer in production though, Yorkville's current model is the NX55P, I think.

Yepp. But I haven't been able to compare them directly yet and I have no need to change. I've heard that the NX55P is EQ'd to put out more bass (too much), and from another I heard the NX550P can get bassier. I only mentioned the 550P since I have compared them with the JBLs and Mackies.

• Members

I think the fact that he had 'em on the flr. wasn't any big deal, btw - it was a very small room and I think it was to keep the volume down so the people at the 20th hs reunion could talk to eachother and not get blasted out.

I rest my case

• Members

I've never really liked the sound of SRM450s, whenever I've heard them. Sometimes they've been mediocre to acceptable, and sometimes they've been truely gash, depending on the operator/situation I suppose.

Best I heard them was at a small wedding reception with a solo artist playing guitar/kareoke to backing tracks using one sub, worst I've heard them was at a rock gig with two of the subs.

Steve.

• Members

Yeah... those DJs....:D Main speakers on the floor? There's your first hint these guys aren't too sharp. Did they have a sign asking people to not dance in front of the speakers? I have a young DJ friend who is starting out and evertime he sees me likes to brag about his equipment - all while asking me if I have stuff for sale. Last time I met him at a grocery store, he told me he now had the best sound system in town because he bought two 1200$ turntables. He also returned his Crown XLS602 amp to buy a higher powered amp because the Crown didn't have enough bass to push his JBL JRX dual 15s - because they handle 2000 watts each :rolleyes: I wanted to explain some things to him but my chicken wings were getting cold... I just grinned and said good luck....Yeah, those DJs... :D Al Poulin - PARTY-TIME DJ SERVICES

• Members

Al -

I wasn't slamming DJ's - only reason I mentioned that the spkrs. were on the floor was to point out that, even though they were on the floor there was still an extreme lack of bass. I think if they had been up in the air on spkr. stands there would have been even less bass coming out of 'em, no...?

Guest Anonymous

Al -

I wasn't slamming DJ's - only reason I mentioned that the spkrs. were on the floor was to point out that, even
though
they were on the floor there was still an
extreme
lack of bass. I think if they had been up in the air on spkr. stands there would have been even
less
bass coming out of 'em, no...?

Well, if it's any consolation... your take is pretty much my take. I've picked those speakers out from atleast 300ft. away... immediately upon entering the doors of a hotel... with probably 2K to 3K noisy party goers on the main floor... and I said to the folks around me: "Somewhere here are some Mackie 450's blareing away." To me, they're that distinctively obnoxious.

But... different strokes for different folks. I don't like Lima Beans (or light beer) either.

• Members

Al -

I wasn't slamming DJ's - only reason I mentioned that the spkrs. were on the floor was to point out that, even
though
they were on the floor there was still an
extreme
lack of bass. I think if they had been up in the air on spkr. stands there would have been even
less
bass coming out of 'em, no...?

Naaah, it was probably me this time;)

• Members

I was actually agreeing with much of what you were saying..... I've seen and heard many bad DJs myself (most of my competition) though I have seen some good ones too. We have this guy called Grandpa who calls his company The entertainers DJ service and hires teens through ads in the newspaper, paying them 10$ an hour to DJ while he charges his clients 300-500$ per job for his DJ service. When I played for him (one time only) about 12 years ago he had me set up with something that looked like a guitar head powering some small full range home speakers set up on tables. There were no highs, so he pulls out a horn, which he connects directly to the full range signal the speakers were receiving... needless to say, the highs didn't stay for too long. Sad thing is, he still gets many bookings???? When he DJs himself, he is known to stop the music completely and announce ''since you people aren't dancing, I'll be at the bar. Come get me when you want to dance....'' He will also stop music and point out the table who requested the song and not start the music again until they get up and dance.... He does have a catchy slogan in his telephone book add though ''We play music that makes the night memorable, not memorial'' :D The occasions he plays at are usually memorable I'm sure.... Al Poulin - Party-time! DJ Services

• Members

Grandpa sounds like a character...
:rolleyes::D

The sad thing is he really believes he is one of the best. He advertises ''Professionally trained DJs'' but then you read his want ads in the newspaper asking for teens who want to make easy money. He deals with the same music store I do, and almost everytime I visit, the salesman tells me another story about Grandpa and his 1970s equipment. He can't seem to let go of his old stuff, and keeps getting the same speakers fixed month after month (as well as other equipment) even though the salesman tries to tell him it won't last for more than a few weeks. Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good ol' days.... :D

• Members

Originally posted by Al Poulin

When he DJs himself, he is known to stop the music completely and announce ''since you people aren't dancing, I'll be at the bar. Come get me when you want to dance....'' He will also stop music and point out the table who requested the song and not start the music again until they get up and dance.... He does have a catchy slogan in his telephone book add though ''We play music that makes the night memorable, not memorial''
:D
The occasions he plays at are usually memorable I'm sure.... Al Poulin - Party-time! DJ Services

I love it! that's some funny stuff. "C'mon grandma get up and dance. or I'm goin to the bar"

couple months ago I was running sound at my monthly Rockabilly night gig and couldn't get there until right before downbeat. I had set up earlier in the day and had another sound gig then just enough time to get there, power up, adjust the mics and go. I roll up and hear a pretty loud but horribly clipped music mix coming from the venue as I parked. I'm thinking "that dude's gonna blow that stuff up" The DJ had patched in his rig to my system and had powered it up. red channel clip light and the main meters fully at the top. Not only that but they had used a DI box I had out at the stage to "combine two 1/4" ins to one mic cord output" since he couldn't figure out the Mix wiz returns

ironically the best DJ I know uses the Mackies

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

I love it! that's some funny stuff. "C'mon grandma get up and dance. or I'm goin to the bar"

couple months ago I was running sound at my monthly Rockabilly night gig and couldn't get there until right before downbeat. I had set up earlier in the day and had another sound gig then just enough time to get there, power up, adjust the mics and go. I roll up and hear a pretty loud but horribly clipped music mix coming from the venue as I parked. I'm thinking "that dude's gonna blow that stuff up" The DJ had patched in his rig to my system and had powered it up. red channel clip light and the main meters fully at the top. Not only that but they had used a DI box I had out at the stage to "combine two 1/4" ins to one mic cord output" since he couldn't figure out the Mix wiz returns

{censored}ing {censored}! :eek: From what I've seen through the years, it unfortunately seems that, to some people, if the music isn't distorted beyond recognition, it needs to be turned up. :rolleyes: Al Poulin - PArty-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Long time ago, my DJ mentor told me: cut, not boost and thou shalt salvage thy system. Another wise man (sound contractor and retailer) asked who made the smiley face when he looked the house system. Thus began my education on EQing. I'm still not a master by any means but I know bad EQing when I hear it.

V.

• Members

Originally posted by gruvjack

Long time ago, my DJ mentor told me: cut, not boost and thou shalt salvage thy system. Another wise man (sound contractor and retailer) asked who made the smiley face when he looked the house system. Thus began my education on EQing. I'm still not a master by any means but I know bad EQing when I hear it.

V.

Hey Gruvjack, how are those NX55Ps working out for you? Have you had a chance to take them out on a gig yet?

• Members

Originally posted by J.

The Mackie SRM450's can't be that bad. I've never heard them, but I'd assume that $699 (MF's price) could buy you a decent sounding powered speaker nowadays.

Ah - the old, "Well, they charge an awful lot o' money fer it - it mus' be good, Paw...!" attitude. :thu::D ...but don't you see - that's the point of why I posted this: I finally heard these things (the SRM450's) and I was spectacularly unimpressed!

That same $699 could instead buy you a JBL EON15 G2 pwrd. speaker, which I have - which I think sounds a hell of a lot better (and has much better bass response) & yet there are those who don't even think the EONs sound all that good...

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Coaster

i have 6 of them, and yes they suck balls.

i inherited them from the last guy, and i hate these speakers. they have been reduced to wedge doody, and they are not even very useful as wedges.

Ah... don't pull any punches Coaster - tell us how you really feel. :p

Actually, though they did sound "ball-sucky" when I heard the DJ use them the other night - I actually remember being on a gig some years back once where a sound company had them as stage monitors for an outdoor stage and they sounded pretty good, for vocals and for my keyboards... :confused::eek:

Maybe it really does depend on how you EQ them - as was pointed out earlier in this thread. :idea: Or maybe the ones I heard a while back where from the "made in America" batch, not like the Mackie stuff that's made in China nowadays... :freak:

Archived