Driverack???

• Members

Thanks for everyone's help on previous posts. I have one more question I need some advise on. Here is what I ended up with for mains and amps. We are a heavy metal band that plays a typical venue of about 100-150 people. Eventually down the road I may add one more amp and sub but think the below system will work well for the size of places we are currently playing. Here is what I have:

1 SRX728

1 Crown XTI4000 (running bridged into sub for 3200W @ 4 Ohms)

2 SRX715 tops

1 Crown XTI2000 (running bridged into tops in parallel for 2000W @ 4 ohms, I know these are a bit under powered but for the size of our current venues should be ok).

Here is my question, do I need to add a DSP to this rig or am I better to use the internal DSP on the XTI's? The DBX Drive rack 260 is a little out of my budget right now. I can pick a new Driverack PA for $250 (store going out of business). Will the DBX offer any real advantages over the XTI DSP? Please help.

PS I do also have 3 31 band EQ's for FOH and monitors, two have FLS in them.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

The Driverack offers many more parameters than the internal of the Crowns, and also would eliminate the need for the 1/3 octaves for house, freeing them for monitors or other duties. It's a great speaker management system and I highly recommend it if your budget allows.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

The Driverack offers many more parameters than the internal of the Crowns, and also would eliminate the need for the 1/3 octaves for house, freeing them for monitors or other duties. It's a great speaker management system and I highly recommend it if your budget allows.

That being said id the Driverack PA worth the money ($250 for new one close out deal) or would I be better to use the XTI DSP and save my money for the 260?

• CMS Author

The DRPA for $250 is a steal. I'd jump on it.

Read the manual thoroughly, and be sure you understand what you're doing before using this or any device that's got a crossover. Incorrect hookup or settings can destroy speakers quickly. The DRPA is not hard to use at all, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

The DRPA for $250 is a steal. I'd jump on it.

Read the manual thoroughly

WOW!!!

I wish I had found the same type of deal. I got mine for 600.00

Read the manual?!?

The manual is a bit on the simplistic side.

• Members

I have a dbx 260, I like it , does a lot of stuff I find usefull.

however, I would say DON"T get a drive rack.

... lets see spend a bunch of cash .... or not.

you can do a lot of prosessing with the XTI, 4 parametrics PER CHANNEL and cross over parts as well. delay may help, though it is not as easy as just looking at the geometric relationship of the speakers, you need to consider teh group delay ( I think I read some where the algoithium that makes the low pass in the dbx adds 10 ms of delay...)

ANYWAY what I am saing is this, ... for all your filters you can set them in the XTI's and for get them. your happy.

Consider that DBX and crown are owned by harmon internationial, so is JBL ... they are all parts of teh same parent company, so you tell me what are the chances that the software algoithiums in teh DBX and the crown are the same???? (in fact the crowns are newer, so if either of teh is better.....).

If you need them put the 31 band eq's on the front mix, but honestly if you set it up real nice you may not even need them.

Short and sweet, no - if I was in your boots, I would not by a drive rack cause baically you all ready have one. , .. I would by beer, and be a bit happier with my life.

Kev.

• Members

I don't trust that I'll be using the same amp for mains or for monitors, therefore get the DRPA.

now for power...

XTI's I don't trust, do a little reading at www.live-audio.com. I talked to a couple retail friends of mine too, if I had bought xti's then I might not be friends with them anymore. The DRPA will offer more DSP with easier access and better parameters though so go that route...

p

Archived