Operating Level Switch on DBX 266xl

• Members

I can usually find answers to simple questions like this when the search function is working; alas, I'll just have to ask.

On the back of my compressor, it has an "Operating Level" switch. The manual only explains that it switches between -10dBV and +4dBu.

I'm hooking this up to a channel insert. Which setting do I use?

I also don't understand how the signal level works on these things. How do I adjust the trim on mixer vs. the output gain on the compressor to achieve the proper PFL when the 266xl doesn't have signal LED's? I'm confused.

• Members

Thanks agedhorse!

So what is the correct procedure for adjusting the PFL with the compressor on the insert?

Adjust the input trim on the mixer first with the compressor on bypass, and then adjust the output gain on the compressor as needed?

• Members

Originally posted by gadgetx23

Thanks agedhorse!

So what is the correct procedure for adjusting the PFL with the compressor on the insert?

Adjust the input trim on the mixer first with the compressor on bypass, and then adjust the output gain on the compressor as needed?

Basically yes.

You want to start out with the output gain at unity otherwise you can overdrive the post insert circuitry. Most but not all mixers sample the overload somewhere post insert for this purpose.

Be sure to add at least as much headroom within the pfl process as you will subtract with the maximum compression used. Otherwise under high compression levels, you could end up overdriving something, either the input stage due to unexppected input level or via the post-compressor make-up gain (output level) of the comp.

So if you plan on compressing by 10dB, be sure to assume your input meters don't exceed 10dB below input clip. This is not entirely accurate (for some configurations), but will work well without worrying about other details.

• Members

+4.

Bypass compressor, pfl channel, set input level on mic pre to nominal 0db-+6db depending on your console. (Different consoles have different sweet spots where the pres sound best, your ear is your best judge here.)

Engage compressor, dial in to taste. Don't be radical, a little compression goes a long way, espeically live.

Archived