A&H MixWiz weirdness

• Members

I have a MixWiz, not the new model 3 but the one before it. I like the board and have used it quite a bit, but there are a couple weird things with it. Even with the channel "in" switches off and the main sliders down I can get a pretty big pop when I plug some things in and the power amps ATTN is up. I think it's because of the phantom power somehow but it's weird that it's not all the time, and sometimes with innocuous gear like a passive DI. That makes it tricky to patch in stuff, running around back and forth to the stage to try out an input. Anyone with same issue?

Also, once in a while I'll get some signal out the main even with the channel slider all the way off...but not all the time. Time to take it apart I guess...

• Members

something is definitely happening when you plug some kinds of inputs into the mic preamps that is making it's way out to the output busses post fader. I haven't tried disabling phantom because usually I'm on a job and the problem happens and then not and I can't seem to reproduce it.

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

I have a MixWiz, not the new model 3 but the one before it. I like the board and have used it quite a bit, but there are a couple weird things with it. Even with the channel "in" switches off and the main sliders down I can get a pretty big pop when I plug some things in and the power amps ATTN is up. I think it's because of the phantom power somehow .....

Also, once in a while I'll get some signal out the main even with the channel slider all the way off...but not all the time. Time to take it apart I guess...

That model can have an issue with phantom power pops getting through even with the channel muted. One way around this is to press the PAD switch while plugging up the mics. A more permanent solution involves fitting extra diodes on each channel. For more details please contact A&H tech support.

Signal appearing with the slider down may be due to a broken fader, or bad ground connection to the fader. If you need help with this please contact tech support.

Hope that helps,

Carey (A&H design)

• Members

Originally posted by Carey D

That model can have an issue with phantom power pops getting through even with the channel muted. One way around this is to press the PAD switch while plugging up the mics. A more permanent solution involves fitting extra diodes on each channel. For more details please contact A&H tech support.

Signal appearing with the slider down may be due to a broken fader, or bad ground connection to the fader. If you need help with this please contact tech support.

Hope that helps,

Carey (A&H design)

I have the MW3 and had the problem where i would get signal to the main even with the channel slider all the way down. I took it in for a repair and $80 later, it was fixed.

• Members

Yeah, if phantom power is on, coupling through the phantom power buss from charging up the capacitance of the cable is not uncommon on many consoles. DC as a step response into 25' of mic cable will make a pop that can be coupled through places that would be otherwise unexpected.

Archived