Am I placing my mic correct on my Twin?

• Members

I heard so many different views on the best place to place a condenser mic on an amp, it's unbelievable. But not really, after all, we all have different idea's of the perfect tone right? But what I do is this, I run my guitar through some fx pedals (all analog and TB) then into my amp. I then place a Shure SM57 right up against the grill cloth about an inch to the left of the center of the cone. It seems to be working, but without real studio experience, I really can't tell. Then that mic goes into a Stereo/Line Mixer and into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 Power Amp-> Avatar 4x12 Stack. I love the two of them together, it just sonic. But now since it's run in stereo, and this is where I lose people. For a live show, would I run two mics up against the Avatar Cab and have one Pan Left and one Pan Right. And is the sound better if the mic is in a certain position or distance away from the amp. I mic my Twin close because that's the true sound I want to capture. Then the Mesa just doesn't the dirty work! So any recommendations to at least try out? Thanks you!

• Members

To clarify: one mic is on the twin, one on the 412? Two mics on the same speaker cabinet can get you into truble with phase cancellation. sounds like it should work with a possible exception of phase cancellation issues seeing that one cab is really the mic'd twin, especially on a mono PA. A phase reverse on the board might uncover anything fishy there. I've actually never seen someone do that for a show: mic an amp and go into a mixer, out to a power amp to another cabinet. Interesting.

• Members

Three little clarifications...

Number one:

You are micing a twin to get what??

More volume - don't need it from a twin

More spread - that's what the pa is for.

The only reason I can think is to add some tonal shaping from the second amp / speaker cab.

Number two:

You are talking about a stereo spread? from what? The twin is a mono amp, the mesa is amplifying that tone in dual mono so two microphones on the avatar would get two of the same signal. All this is going to cause is cancellations and problems hearing. If you want some sort of stereo effect then send the signal from the effects unit to the PA (since it's already a miced sound.

Number three:

You mention where to place a condensor mic and then go on to mention an SM-57. Just so as you know, that isn't a condensor mic and is probably what is confusing a lot of people as to what you're talking about.

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

Two mics on the same speaker cabinet can get you into truble with phase cancellation.

Not if they are properly placed. I do this regularly with an e609s and a 57, and get great results. Simply make sure the capsules are aligned with respect to their distance from the cone, and are on the same side of the cone.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Not if they are properly placed. I do this regularly with an e609s and a 57, and get great results. Simply make sure the capsules are aligned with respect to their distance from the cone, and are on the same side of the cone.

Yup, I agree. although we don't know if that's what's happening here..yet. that's more than I'd go through, once I mic an amp whether it be 609 or 57 I'm done..except if it's like Dick Dale ;)

• Members
Originally posted by moody

Number two:

You are talking about a stereo spread? from what? The twin is a mono amp, the mesa is amplifying that tone in dual mono so two microphones on the avatar would get two of the same signal. All this is going to cause is cancellations and problems hearing. If you want some sort of stereo effect then send the signal from the effects unit to the PA (since it's already a miced sound.

It is far more than dual mono if you have two amps reproducing vastly different tones, as seems to be the case here. So the two mics certainly aren't going to get the same signal. You don't need stereo effects to have a stereo tone as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

It is far more than dual mono if you have two amps reproducing vastly different tones, as seems to be the case here. So the two mics certainly aren't going to get the same signal. You don't need stereo effects to have a stereo tone as far as I'm concerned.

I am talking about the two microphones on the second amp producing dual mono. The twin has yet a third mic on it. The two mics on the second amp are producing the same signal unless there is some sort of stereo effects unit.

Until the original poster replies to all the questions we won't know though.

• Members
Originally posted by moody

I am talking about the two microphones on the second amp producing dual mono. The twin has yet a third mic on it. The two mics on the second amp are producing the same signal unless there is some sort of stereo effects unit.

Until the original poster replies to all the questions we won't know though.

Gotcha. Not a very clear post.

Archived