Need new Mics for live Shows: Help!

• Members

Well the question is simple. What are some good mics to use in for live performances in places like bars and mid size places. I really need something that sounds good, but also won't feedback easily. Of course theres the old school SM58, but when ever I used them in small places I always had feedback problems. Any suggestions would be great. Thx

• Members

The older members seem to be busy or something, so i'll fill-in for the moment.

The SM58 is one of the better mics as far as esistance to feedback goes. If you are having problems consider the following:

1) Make sure the mic is pointed directly away from the monitor. This makes it the most resistant to feedback.

2) Get a good eq and take out the frequencies that are feeding back

3) Lower your stage volume

Hopefully that helps a little. There aren't really perfect mics out there, but the SM58 is really very good. Perhaps look other places to help eliminate feedback.

• Members

There are a bevy of very good mic's from which to choose. Personal preference and how a particular mic performs on your system makes the difference.

Some popular mic's to consider:

Shure Sm58 - You mentioned the mic and it is legendary..I contend there are better mics out there today if you take away the name appeal, but it's a solid mic.

Sennheiser e835. A great value mic with a nice presense.

EV ND 767a - My favorite vocal mic and it can be had for under $100 is you shop around.

Shure beta 57 - a very versatile mic that is great for vocals.

Audix Om2, OM5, OM7 - A nice line of mic's that have very good GBF characteristics.

• Members

My go to vocal mic of choice is a Shure Beta57A. Great rejection(so good gain before feedback with minimal eq) excellent audio quality, and very rugged. The Sennheiser 835 is my second choice.

For larger stages, or softer music, I go for a Shure Beta87 or Sennheiser 865 condensor vocal. A more "hi-fi" sound, but also a bit more prone to feeback in the high end.

For the club circuit, the Beta57A or Sennheiser 835 would be an excellent choice. The 835 is very reasonably priced and also very good audio quality and durability.

Archived