Can the mike alone make you louder?

• Members

In our band, we have a Shure SM 57, SM 58, and Beta 58A. I am able to get more sound through the PA as I move up through those mikes (the SM 57 being the quietest), without changing settings on the mixer. The SM57 really doesn't put out enough volume even when I play around with the PA settings.

Our other singers are really able to project their voice, while I just don't have that kind of power in my lungs. Would I be able to get much more volume out of another mike, that would be a step up from the Beta 58A? Or would it be so little that it wouldn't be worth the upgrade? I can definitely tell the volume level difference between the SM 58 and the Beta.

Thanks

-cf

• Members

If I start to turn up the gain, even on the Beta, I start getting into feedback territory. I've seen some mikes out there that try to claim "the most gain without feedback", but I was turning to ya'lls practical experience to see if those are any better than the Beta in this respect.

I guess I should say that $200 if the upper limit of what I'd pay, and I'd like to pay less. I've never gotten to try out a Seinheiser or an ElectroVoice, so I don't have anything to compare.

-cf

• Members
Originally posted by chuckerson

If I start to turn up the gain, even on the Beta, I start getting into feedback territory. I've seen some mikes out there that try to claim "the most gain without feedback", but I was turning to ya'lls practical experience to see if those are any better than the Beta in this respect.

I guess I should say that $200 if the upper limit of what I'd pay, and I'd like to pay less. I've never gotten to try out a Seinheiser or an ElectroVoice, so I don't have anything to compare.

-cf

Well, obviously, your system's capability decide how loud any mic can get before running out of headroom. A hotter mic will just get you there at lower gain/fader settings. As for the feedback, what are you doing EQ-wise to try and contain it?

Archived