Best mic for guitar amp (live) ?

• Members

Remedy,

If you AREN'T looking to spend a few extra dollars for the cost of a mic for your amp, the SM57 is a fine choice that gives decent results. Remember, practice good mic placement to achieve your desired sound before getting too radical on EQ.

Rocksalad

• Members

Good suggestions,all. Another mic I've been using is the Audix i5. A little different than the above mentioned mics.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I've always been partial to the Sennheiser MD421. I also have a Stedman N90 dynamic that I use on guitar amps. They're getting harder to find, though. Check eBay.

Joel

• Members

Live 57's and e609S are my choices. The 57 is a workhorse, the 609 a bit more mid clarity. The 609 is a hypercardiod, so it can be placed a bit further back reducing proximity effect.

A combination of the two is deadly, using the 609 for warmth and the 57 for cut.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Live 57's and e609S are my choices. The 57 is a workhorse, the 609 a bit more mid clarity. The 609 is a hypercardiod, so it can be placed a bit further back reducing proximity effect.

A combination of the two is deadly, using the 609 for warmth and the 57 for cut.

I use the e609, but with a stand. I prefer it back just a bit, instead of draping over the top. But it's neat you can go either way. Tomorrow I'm going to try the e609/SM57 combo on my 4x12 1960AHW cabinet.

• Members

I use the SM57. I set the mike off axis about 2/3's toward center at about a 85 dergree angle pressed against the amps speakers cloth. That is my go to position that has worked for me for years. Its' not harsh and projects the midtrange real nice.

• Members

Originally posted by tubedude

opps I meant 95 degree angle.

Assuming you mean 95 degrees to the grill, that's pretty much straight on, I doubt that extra 5 degrees is yielding anything.

Hey tremendo, FWIW, here's that I do.

Both mics on the same speaker. Draw an imaginary line through the center of the speaker, and put the 57 just above the line, and the 609 just below, visually aligning the diaphrams so they are vertically in line, and place them both where the cone and surround meet.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Hey tremendo, FWIW, here's that I do.

Both mics on the same speaker. Draw an imaginary line through the center of the speaker, and put the 57 just above the line, and the 609 just below, visually aligning the diaphrams so they are vertically in line, and place them both where the cone and surround meet.

Cool. That's about the spot where I normally mic it anyway with either an e609 or SM57. I've got this new 4x12 cabinet that I haven't double mic'd yet, but I will try it the way you say, on the same speaker.

Maybe for show I'll throw another 3 mics on the other speakers. LOL.

• Members

hey guys, thanks for the replies and great info. Im going to muck around a lot with mic placemanet tomorrow. Never experimented with it much before. Ive just been putting the mic straight on to the speaker (about 3 inches back from grill cloth) on the edge of the speaker. flat eq on desk

So I can get a SENNHEISER e609 for $265 (AUD), whereas the SM57 is about $140. Almost half the price.

Im liking the versatility of being able to drape the e609 for tight stages (althought that may compromise you 'favourite mic position')

Is the e609 worth the extra bucks ? It has the versatility and neatness , but what about sound-wise, is it really worth it ?

• Members

I put them closer to the horizontal center, so they are almost touching, but yea that's basically it. Key is eyeballing the alignment of the diaphram distance from the cone. I generally will also align them even more precisely in the DAW once the tracks are recorded by slipping the more forward one back to align with the other.

Archived