which mic to choose for lead-vocals?

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Small to medium stages: Shure Beta57A or Sennheiser 835

Larger stages (where wash is not an issue) Shure Beta87 or Sennheiser 865.

Excellent mics, when I have them available I like using Audix OM7's, fantastic mics. I have a Shure SM58 that I use whenever I don't have the audix mics, and a few AKG D9000's which I've been very happy with.

I've used the Sennheiser 800 series and I enjoyed them emmensely as well, you really can't go wrong with any of these mics. I've personally found that mic choice isn't all that much of an issue when you're dealing with mics from reputable brand names that are above a given price range, because they - for the most part - are very clear and detailed and have great feedback rejection. The mic's EQ isn't all that important because hell, you can EQ it at the board and more often than not I've got at least a little bit of EQ going to fit the sound to the room.

But I'm not all that picky when it comes to mics. As long as they've got a decent output, decent windscreen, and some clarity I'll be happy as hell with them. I don't have problems with feedback all that often (even when playing in an all-stone banquet hall -_-)

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I hate OM7's, and pretty much anything Audix. IMHO the OM's get loud, but sound like ass without a ton of eq.

I thought they were great, I wasn't using that much EQ, but as I said I'm not really picky with EQ curves of mics because it's not that hard to turn a few knobs. Once they were tuned up they were awesome. Using these mics a lot of the bands I've run sound for asked me what mics they were because the loved their vocal sound through the wedges or in-ears, and others loved how clear they were and present in the mix.

Not everyone likes the audix mics though I guess, I'm quite fond of my D6, the i5, and the micro-D's on the drums. I use 57's on the instruments though, never tried the i5 on guitar amps and don't really find the need to replace all my 57's.

• Members

OM7: can sound very good, minimal wash.

M88: good sound and wash.

E865: a bit less smooth the above.

Beta 87: pretty good sound, usable wash.

E835: decent sound & wash, heck of a bargain.

Beta 58: not very good in either count.

SM58: worse yet.

Haven't used any EV or Heil.

Archived